IGNORED

Vectrex - Protector and YASI credits

JamesD

There aren't a lot of things in the 8 bit world that really blow me away, but I ran across something today that did just that.

Calculating that many points is pretty impressive. Granted, a lot of points can be pre-calculated... but that is just too cool!

There aren't a lot of things in the 8 bit world that really blow me away, but I ran across something today that did just that.

Calculating that many points is pretty impressive. Granted, a lot of points can be pre-calculated... but that is just too cool!

where do I get da'rom?

• 9 months later...

I finally had a chance to fire up Alex Hebert's Protector / YASI. This is an unreal cart. I'd actually forgotten that the arcade Space Invaders was vector graphics with a color overlay. YASI may be the closest home port of the game -- it is stunning. Protector is amazing as well -- I just have to get used to using all the buttons! What a bargain for $12.50.

Are there custom overlays of this cart available? Maybe omeganu can make them. It would be wild to have a replica of the Space Invaders arcade glass.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to buy the roms for most of the stuff on that site. Would really like to use them with my Vec flash cart and the homebrew overlays. The goal right now is to set up the VecX like an arcade on a little table in my gameroom and have all the games there for everybody to play. I'm going for the most family friendly game room experience possible and trying to limit having to change out carts or discs as much at possible.

BTW I have their OD2 244 cartridge, and it's great!

I've quickly immersed myself in the Vectrex universe and PROTECTOR remains in my top 4 of all the games I've played. (played all of the originals except for Animaction, half of them with overlays, played Dark Tower, Space Frenzy, I,Cyborg, Thrust, Moon Lander, Rockaroids, Nebula Commander) I say "top 4" because each of the games up there have their own niche, but Protector is definitely the one I play the most. (top 4 for me is: Web Wars, I,Cyborg, Bedlam and Protector.) If you can't shell out 12.50 for the the cart you are a jerk! It is insanely fun addictive game. Better than the original Defender! It's an essential Vectrex game and easy to acquire.

Yeah, I bought the original Protector release a bit ago..

Then I saw a youtube video of the demo and was like...

er.. what? I've never seen that... :-(

Checked my original cart, it didn't do it...

But the re-released version (that's in the $12.50 cart I believe) does it...

That is one sweet demo..

Protector is one of my favorite games to try to play. My only complaint is that I still have problems with the controls (I did with Defender too)...

So I am pretty bad at it...

But its incredible...

desiv

I finally had a chance to fire up Alex Hebert's Protector / YASI. This is an unreal cart. I'd actually forgotten that the arcade Space Invaders was vector graphics with a color overlay. YASI may be the closest home port of the game -- it is stunning. Protector is amazing as well -- I just have to get used to using all the buttons! What a bargain for $12.50.

Are there custom overlays of this cart available? Maybe omeganu can make them. It would be wild to have a replica of the Space Invaders arcade glass.

I've gotta track down a Vec flash cart so I can "field test" games that aren't on my 72-1 multicart.....I can do overlays from the emulators, but before I feel OK charging any money for them I really think seeing a prototype on an actual Vectrex is necessary. Anybody selling a flash cart? I believe they aren't "in stock" on the site anymore.

The best arcade game to date ever written for the Vectrex by Alex Herbert. Period. On the original Protector cartridge, there is also a bonus game, Spike goes down, which later was the inspiration for his first game on the 2600, 'man goes down' http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/53689-my-1st-atari-2600-game-man-goes-down/

I really hope Alex will start writing for the Vectrex again. He is a brilliant programmer.

On the original Protector cartridge, there is also a bonus game, Spike goes down, which later was the inspiration for his first game on the 2600, 'man goes down' http://www.atariage....-man-goes-down/

What??

Anyway' date=' tucked away in the initial limited edition release of Protector was a hidden bonus game Spike Goes Down[/quote']

I missed that!!!

Dang, now I have to find that "hidden bonus game"!!!!

desiv