IGNORED

Flashback 3 at E3? Is it real?

Someone approached Atari's licensing department with these, the licensing guys went with it. Some of the people at Atari proper were in the dark because of how it was handled, and the end result is you have a plug and play with very iffy specs that has nothing to do with the original Flashback line we did nor the direction we'd been trying to move it towards for 5 years now to no avail (money was the continual issue, and their financial problems). I.E. it's a licensed product, but not the actual Flashback 3. It just has the Flashback 3 name slapped on it (and on a very very poorly designed box at that).

With all the lame-ass "remakes" (not really remakes - rather, a classic name pasted on a new crap game), the Flashback series were the ONLY thing "Atari" seemed to be getting right. Now they've screwed that up, too. Anybody *really* surprised here?

No.

If 'piracy issues' were an issue then, why wouldn't they be now? (i.e., why would Atari ok a product with the sd card option now?)

As stated, different management, different people. Maybe this company sold them on a way to make money with downloadable roms like we were trying to do with them.

Are Legacy allowed to produce their own products based on the Atari on a chip just without the Atari Branding? Thinking out loud taking the Atari on a chip you have half a 7800 what about combining this with the recent 7800 expansion + new 7800 core for an all in one system?

Barnie

• Like 1

Not on the 2005 "Michele" chip, but I did a new design in 2007, its the "Toby" core, has SD Card support and LCD support, it was designed for the Flashback portable, but given recent developments, I am considering an non-Atari branded product release this fall, gotta finish up other obligations first and we'll see...

Are Legacy allowed to produce their own products based on the Atari on a chip just without the Atari Branding? Thinking out loud taking the Atari on a chip you have half a 7800 what about combining this with the recent 7800 expansion + new 7800 core for an all in one system?

Barnie

• Like 10

Not on the 2005 "Michele" chip, but I did a new design in 2007, its the "Toby" core, has SD Card support and LCD support, it was designed for the Flashback portable, but given recent developments, I am considering an non-Atari branded product release this fall, gotta finish up other obligations first and we'll see...

Barnie

I would buy one

Barnie

My wallet is eager to purchase such a device! :)

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I had to look this up. Here's a quote from Dig That Box:

UPDATE: After returning to the Creative Mind Interactive booth we learned that SD Card support has been removed from the Flashback 3. It also appears the box was an early test shot, and any description provided should not be considered final.

The SD slot was the main thing about it that interested me.

once again Atari screws up! No disrespect to Curt, but I would have purchased one of these if it had the SD slot. Not a chance in hell now.

To me the SD card and the odd controllers were the main thing, and if there's no SD then I am out, too. I can mod my own controllers. No thanks, creativewhatsis knockoff maker.

Sticking with the even-numbered flashback consoles.

where's the flashback 4 petition?

Can we just rename the 200-page Flashback 3 partition & rename the thread title from 3 to 4? That will save a lot of work & having to see it on the new message scan every time.

• Like 1

To be honest I think at this point the next "flashback" from Legacy needs to be the portable... Regardless if it has the official "Atari" blessing or not.

until then, I'm going to wait on some more CX40 retrofit boards to be released over at the LE store :)