IGNORED

Zany Golf Sega Genesis question...

ataridave

I'm sure there are GG codes that handle that.

I just tested it (since it's been a while :)) and the GG starts Zany Golf with no codes.

Of the five early unlicensed games by Electronic Arts and Accolade (Budokan, Ishido, Onslaught, Populous, and Zany Golf), I think the only one that won't even work with a GG on a TMSS system is Budokan. All the others work fine, with no codes necessary, since the GG takes care of pushing TMSS into the right register.

There is a Euro version of Budokan that should work on TMSS systems. Someone on Sega-16 also claimed that their American copy worked fine with their TMSS system, so maybe there's a domestic ROM variant that works.

BTW there are also a ton of unlicensed games that benefit from the Game Genie. A few of them need much more radical intervention though, since they intentionally trash the TMSS register! There were some very useful posts on the topic by Chilly Willy and Eke-Eke over on Sega-16.

Edited by thegoldenband

I'm sure there are GG codes that handle that.

I just tested it (since it's been a while :)) and the GG starts Zany Golf with no codes.

Of the five early unlicensed games by Electronic Arts and Accolade (Budokan, Ishido, Onslaught, Populous, and Zany Golf), I think the only one that won't even work with a GG on a TMSS system is Budokan. All the others work fine, with no codes necessary, since the GG takes care of pushing TMSS into the right register.

There is a Euro version of Budokan that should work on TMSS systems. Someone on Sega-16 also claimed that their American copy worked fine with their TMSS system, so maybe there's a domestic ROM variant that works.

BTW there are also a ton of unlicensed games that benefit from the Game Genie. A few of them need much more radical intervention though, since they intentionally trash the TMSS register! There were some very useful posts on the topic by Chilly Willy and Eke-Eke over on Sega-16.

Yeah, that was a really crazy thing... I looked at a game for someone to make some PAR codes (not GG) to get it to run, and it turned out the game walked on the TMSS register (probably due to missing copy protection hardware). The code to get it to work was to just change the value stored to the TMSS register to the proper value. Anywho, flash carts usually also run games that don't work on TMSS models because they've already set the TMSS register as part of the menu startup. You'd only run into a problem if you ran the image as the only thing on an MD-Pro flash cart since it would be just like a real cart at that point. If you put the menu on the MD-Pro, then it's like the other flash carts.

If you want to play it on something other than a Gen1, I believe the Game Genie is your answer.

I thought those only worked with MegaDrive carts, but thanks!

No. The GG is a US released device that just happens to allow imports to play thanks to them having the same board size and number of pins. I heard from multiple sources (sega 16 forums and old magazines) that the GG allows early EA games to work on later Genesis 1s and most Genesis 2s.

Edited by BrianC