IGNORED

Opcode website updated

opcode

Hi Eduardo. :)

Where is Tron (Legacy).

You have "forgotten " to add this game to your site under Projects.

Do you have some screenshots to show us. ?

That is just an idea for now. Some people complain when we mention games that we haven't started to code yet in our websites, but they forget that even a screen mockup is a form of preliminary work, we need to start with that to get to a final game. Even porting a game requires tons of planning. So with a mockup we are checking not just how the game would look, but also how many sprites will be on screen, on the same scanline, where we are going to place the score board, if we will have enough space for sprites and tiles in their respective pattern tables, if we can replace some sprites for tiles, and so on.

So depending on how much work I have put on a given game, even if it is all conceptual, I considere it an active project or not. For TRON I have only ideas, but haven't started seriously planning anything, so that is why you don't see it under Projects.

DK Jr on the other hand, I have a lot of stuff already figured out. Pengo has the whole attract sequence done, Moon Patrol has a lot of conceptual work done, including some conceptual testing. Rally-X was all figured out before I placed it on hold, attract was done, but I will return to it eventually. Arkanoid is quite far along.

Then I also have a few games that spent some time doing premilinary work, but probably not enough to be in the list: Dig-Dug, Frogger, Elevator Action, Zaxxon, Xevious, Mr Do! (which I disasembled and commented most of the code a few years ago as part of a deal that didn't work out), Time Pilot, DK3. And a couple of games that have been already ported, Mario Bros and Pooyan.

Eduardo

just for curiosity , why you die on that video? Mario dies when there is no more barrel?

Bonus reaches 0...

Even little detail is duplicated. Like getting 100 points if you jump really close to DK in the rivet stage. The funny thing is that I didn't know about that until someone show me during last year MGC... using DKA. So it was there before I knew...

The same thing happened when we were close to release PMC. I told Luc that I still needed to add the kill screens to the game, or at least emulate the way it gets garbaged. Then when I tried it was already there. :)

Edited by opcode

For TRON I have only ideas, but haven't started seriously planning anything, so that is why you don't see it under Projects.

I was thinking about Tron on ColecoVision a while back, and I had an interesting idea. We should compare notes sometime. :)

PLEASE compare notes!!! I'd love to see this get made, any variation of it! :love:

For TRON I have only ideas, but haven't started seriously planning anything, so that is why you don't see it under Projects.

I was thinking about Tron on ColecoVision a while back, and I had an interesting idea. We should compare notes sometime. :)

That is something I was going to discuss with you anyways. After we have that other project behind us... :)

[EDIT:] I mean, if it is a good experience, I see a lot of possibilities.

Edited by opcode

That is something I was going to discuss with you anyways. After we have that other project behind us... :)

We currently have a LOT of little things to put behind us, even before we can put some serious time into that "other project". :)

But I look forward to some Tron discussions. I bought both Tron movies on DVD last week, by the way. :D

We currently have a LOT of little things to put behind us, even before we can put some serious time into that "other project". :)

But I look forward to some Tron discussions. I bought both Tron movies on DVD last week, by the way. :D

DVD?!!! Gosh, so yesterday... :)

I was just checking the differences between the US and Japanese versions of DK and was surprised by how few they are. A few strings, some differences in the name registration screen, title screen, and of course the stage sequence. More surprising is that a single byte changes the behavior of the barrels coming down ladders (in the Japanese version barrels don't come down a ladder when Mario is standing at the top of it).

Also the code was clearly patched, not recompiled (perhaps because ITC programmed the game, not Nintendo).

Man, I think I can finish this thing in 3 or 4 months... :D

Oh, and I also want to change the color scheme for the US version a bit. Platforms in stages 1/3 are more like red in the Japanese version (earlier hardware), but more like magenta (the color used in the original CV version) in the US version (later hardware).

Oh, and I also want to change the color scheme for the US version a bit. Platforms in stages 1/3 are more like red in the Japanese version (earlier hardware), but more like magenta (the color used in the original CV version) in the US version (later hardware).

Uh, I have to say that design decision doesn't sit well with me. I prefer my girders red, thank you very much, regardless of what version (Jap or US) I'm playing. If you want to offer different girder colors, please create a separate line on the option screen for it. I honestly don't like magenta girders, and I wouldn't want to limit myself to playing the japanese version because of that.

Just my two cents. :)

Uh, I have to say that design decision doesn't sit well with me. I prefer my girders red, thank you very much, regardless of what version (Jap or US) I'm playing. If you want to offer different girder colors, please create a separate line on the option screen for it. I honestly don't like magenta girders, and I wouldn't want to limit myself to playing the japanese version because of that.

Just my two cents. :)

I see. It isn't as bad as it sounds, the original CV version was solid magenta, but DKA also uses dark red, so it gives the girders a kind of 3D effect. But ok, I can add an option for that, no big deal. Actually MAME offer such an option.

BTW, now you mentioned, I really prefer the Japanese version (as usual). The changes he did to the girder stage, with the barrels coming down a ladder when Mario is standing at the top of it simply ruins the balance of the game. That stage becomes the hardest one with that. In the Japanese version we have a well balanced game, with a smooth challenge curve (typical Miyamoto), but in the US version the change to barrel behavior and to the stage sequence made the game brutal. The game starts with the hardest stage, then jumps to the 2nd hardest, then jumps back to the hardest... Sounds like a cheap scheme to get players out of the game as fast as possible.

I see. It isn't as bad as it sounds, the original CV version was solid magenta, but DKA also uses dark red, so it gives the girders a kind of 3D effect. But ok, I can add an option for that, no big deal. Actually MAME offer such an option.

Thank you. :D

BTW, now you mentioned, I really prefer the Japanese version (as usual). The changes he did to the girder stage, with the barrels coming down a ladder when Mario is standing at the top of it simply ruins the balance of the game. That stage becomes the hardest one with that. In the Japanese version we have a well balanced game, with a smooth challenge curve (typical Miyamoto), but in the US version the change to barrel behavior and to the stage sequence made the game brutal. The game starts with the hardest stage, then jumps to the 2nd hardest, then jumps back to the hardest... Sounds like a cheap scheme to get players out of the game as fast as possible.

Yeah, stupid arcades out to pick cash out of our pockets! Shame on them! :P

just for curiosity , why you die on that video? Mario dies when there is no more barrel?

Bonus reaches 0...

Even little detail is duplicated. Like getting 100 points if you jump really close to DK in the rivet stage. The funny thing is that I didn't know about that until someone show me during last year MGC... using DKA. So it was there before I knew...

The same thing happened when we were close to release PMC. I told Luc that I still needed to add the kill screens to the game, or at least emulate the way it gets garbaged. Then when I tried it was already there. :)

Eduardo - great to see the Opcode website back :D

With regard to DKA and oddities for "point pushing" you should check out the DVD that Steve Wiebe has for sale on his website (www.stevewiebe.com - check out the bottom of "Steve's Store" page). I recently attended a "DK 101" presentation that Steve gave and he mentions quite a few areas where it is possible to gain extra points ("point push") by jumping at strategic moments. I'm sure you'd be interested to see how Steve "point pushes" and if the same techniques/timing work on your CV DKA.

With regard to DKA and oddities for "point pushing" you should check out the DVD that Steve Wiebe has for sale on his website (www.stevewiebe.com - check out the bottom of "Steve's Store" page). I recently attended a "DK 101" presentation that Steve gave and he mentions quite a few areas where it is possible to gain extra points ("point push") by jumping at strategic moments. I'm sure you'd be interested to see how Steve "point pushes" and if the same techniques/timing work on your CV DKA.

I will make sure I check. I really like Steve, he seems to be a nice guy.

Changing topic a bit, what are the official Luigi colors? I mean, the official "classic Luigi" colors. He changed colors quite a bit during his early days.

Is it white and green as in the NES version? Or green and dark brown as in arcade version of Mario Bros? Or some other combination? Please help...

Changing topic a bit, what are the official Luigi colors? I mean, the official "classic Luigi" colors. He changed colors quite a bit during his early days.

Is it white and green as in the NES version? Or green and dark brown as in arcade version of Mario Bros? Or some other combination? Please help...

For a question like this, the term "official" itself is subject to debate. What was "official" in 1982 will differ from what was "official" in 1986. :P

All I can say is that I prefer green and white for Luigi, especially if you want to add Luigi as an Easter egg in DKA. ;)

For a question like this, the term "official" itself is subject to debate. What was "official" in 1982 will differ from what was "official" in 1986. :P

All I can say is that I prefer green and white for Luigi, especially if you want to add Luigi as an Easter egg in DKA. ;)

You can actually select Luigi from the option menu, as I shown last year. And btw, the girder color scheme was already in the menu, I had totally forgot.

Anyways, green and white are the current colors, but I just wanted to make sure you guys would be happy with that...

Please check the options...

[EDIT]: Added 5th option

post-1432-0-49178700-1308175275_thumb.png

Edited by opcode