IGNORED

Opcode website updated

opcode

Actually it is more of back-to-basics. The website was reverted to what it was before the whole "David Harley incident" of last year. I still need to update all the game pages with current status, include Paypal links and some new movies, but that will happen as time allows. Hopefully just a first step for greater things later this year. In the meantime I guess CV will have quite a lot of reasons to celebrate this year... ;)

• Like 5

Actually it is more of back-to-basics. The website was reverted to what it was before the whole "David Harley incident" of last year. I still need to update all the game pages with current status, include Paypal links and some new movies, but that will happen as time allows. Hopefully just a first step for greater things later this year. In the meantime I guess CV will have quite a lot of reasons to celebrate this year... ;)

Great news Eduardo, 2011 looks like a great year for the CV, in large part to your efforts! Thanks for all that you're working on. :)

Next year is the CV 30th anniversary. I MUST have something to release myself, and so far the only option is DKA + Super Game Module... And that makes me a little anxious...

I hope to have the damn game finished by fall, then use winter and next year to complete/test the SGM... Boy oh boy....

• Like 2

Next year is the CV 30th anniversary. I MUST have something to release myself, and so far the only option is DKA + Super Game Module... And that makes me a little anxious...

I hope to have the damn game finished by fall, then use winter and next year to complete/test the SGM... Boy oh boy....

I think it's safe to say that the SGM would be just fine as your 30 year anniversary release. :)

Hi again Eduardo. :)

I know of DKA, but a DKC that's new for me. :D (It had to come).

If DKA is finished before christmas and ready for sale, and SGM tested in 2012, -may DKA work without the SGM as i see it.

Will the upcoming DKC also work without the SGM. or will the graphics and sound be integrated and, "only for use with SGM". :?:

If DKA is finished before christmas and ready for sale, and SGM tested in 2012, -may DKA work without the SGM as i see it.

That's impossible. DKA requires at least 4K of RAM, so the SGM is mandatory in this case. That means the SGM and DKA will be released at the same time, regardless of which project Eduardo finishes first.

Will the upcoming DKC also work without the SGM. or will the graphics and sound be integrated and, "only for use with SGM". :?:

As I understand it, DKC will be an extension of DKA which will include Donkey Kong Jr. (the arcade version, that is). So DKC will definately require the SGM. I hope I will get my way and DKC will become reality, with the extra feature I keep dreaming about... ;)

Thats awesome Opcode!!! I know I definitely love playing your games and am extremely looking forward to DKA especially if this new news of Pixelboy is correct and DKJ is also on it. That would be totally awesome.

I think you just broke me otta my grouchy mood.

Edited by ColecoDan

Thats awesome Opcode!!! I know I definitely love playing your games and am extremely looking forward to DKA especially if this new news of Pixelboy is correct and DKJ is also on it. That would be totally awesome.

Huh, no, you've got it wrong. Look again at the Opcode web site: DKA and DKC are two separate projects. DKA will be released first, and DKC a few years later (hopefully).

If I were in Eduardo's shoes, I would refer to DKC as simply Donkey Kong Jr Arcade, and then include DKA as bonus material on the same MegaCart. But alas, it's Eduardo's project, not mine. ;)

Huh, no, you've got it wrong. Look again at the Opcode web site: DKA and DKC are two separate projects. DKA will be released first, and DKC a few years later (hopefully).

If I were in Eduardo's shoes, I would refer to DKC as simply Donkey Kong Jr Arcade, and then include DKA as bonus material on the same MegaCart. But alas, it's Eduardo's project, not mine. ;)

Ah ok, Well that is cool too. ;) more money for him and more enjoyment for me :)

I hadn't seen his new site. It looks pretty cool now that I have taken a look at it

Edited by ColecoDan

So DKC , would be DK Collection? So It means DK , DKjr , DK3 and of course DK 2 (the wonderful arcade hack done few year ago!) ... ok... I dream..

You dream quite a lot, don't you... Eduardo has an actual day job, in case you didn't know. :P We're talking about DK and DKJr only here.

So why do DKC (and not just DKJrA) if DKA will have already been released previously? I'm so glad you asked! Picture the following scenario:

- You insert the cart in your ColecoVision, turn it on, and select "MARIO VS KONG" on the title screen.

- You watch the familiar DK opening intermission, with Donkey Kong hauling Pauline up the girders

- As Mario, you play and finish the first DK level

- Still as Mario, you play the DK rivets level

- After removing the last rivet, DK falls head-first to the ground

- The opening intermission of DKJr plays next, with DK in a cage being hoisted up the screen by two Marios

- As Junior, you play and finish the first DKJr level

- Still as Junior, you play the DKJr keychain level

- After poping the last keychain in its lock, DK is free, and the escape intermission plays

- So what does DK do with his new-found freedom? He kidnaps Pauline again, of course! The DK opening cut-scene plays again!

- As Mario, you play and finish the first DK level

- etc.

- etc.

- etc.

Of course, you wouldn't be limited to two levels from each game during each cycle. The more you play, the more levels are added, until you get to the point where you need to play through all 8 levels to finish a cycle. :)

That's the feature in DKC that I'm lobbying for, anyway. :D

Edited by Pixelboy

Ok, I think Luc already answered most of the questions.

DK Collection is a very tempting proposition, however those "collection" games take forever to complete, and I really want to have the SGM out next year.

As Luc mentioned, you could think of DKC as DKJr with the original DK included as a bonus. It isn't a ploy to make more money out of you guys, it is just that waiting until I have both games ported would take forever (or twice forever, if we consider DKA is already taking forever), and in the meantime nobody is playing DK. So I release DK ASAP, and whenever DKJr is done, I can release both games in a single massive cartride. The other reason is that I can release a couple of different games between DKA and DKC, so we can get a little more variety.

Finally, Luc indirectly suggested me something yesterday that would work as plan B for next year...

I hope I will get my way and DKC will become reality, with the extra feature I keep dreaming about... ;)

Hi Pixelboy. :)

I remember very well your old birthday gift to Eduardo for a few years ago.

Could it be something about this: :D

post-9873-0-32701700-1308071473_thumb.gif

Finally, Luc indirectly suggested me something yesterday that would work as plan B for next year...

:?

The mini stuff... ;)

Anyways, I did a ton of work this year, some for Pixelboy, some for J-F. And we still have some unannounced surprises... ;) So yeah, overall I am pretty happy, but I would be happier if I could have something to release myself under the Opcode label next year.

About DKA, there isn’t much missing actually, probably the two most complex things still in my to-do list are the new sprite driver and donkey kong scrolling at the conveyor belt stage.

I started fine tuning the game a couple of weeks ago. Did you guys know that DK actually takes barrels out of the stack near the end of the bonus timer? That is pretty cool, and I don’t think that has been included in any of the ports for classic consoles…

I hope I will get my way and DKC will become reality, with the extra feature I keep dreaming about... ;)

Ha, the Keystone Kapers stage... That was pretty cool, as were all the other stages. I really wish I could implement that someday.

Heh heh, no, the extra feature I was talking about is the "MARIO VS KONG" feature described above. :)

I like how you combine games that is a pretty cool concept.

Before you described your Mario vs Kong concept I thought you were talking about something like Mario Bros using Kong. So little Kongs would come on the screen just like the turtles and when you bump them they would fall on their back and move their arms and legs around and then you could knock them down just like the turtles. :)

:?

The mini stuff... ;)

Oh, okay... :)

About DKA, there isn’t much missing actually, probably the two most complex things still in my to-do list are the new sprite driver and donkey kong scrolling at the conveyor belt stage.

After doing such a fine job with the opening cut-scene, you set your own bar pretty high for the DK conveyor scrolling! :D

I started fine tuning the game a couple of weeks ago. Did you guys know that DK actually takes barrels out of the stack near the end of the bonus timer? That is pretty cool, and I don’t think that has been included in any of the ports for classic consoles…

But you will implement that feature in DKA, of course. Or else I'll have to take away your title of top CV perfectionnist. ;)

But you will implement that feature in DKA, of course. Or else I'll have to take away your title of top CV perfectionnist. ;)

It was implemented long ago... :)