IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 4 - Game 1 *Asteroids*

JacobZu7zu7

Important Note: Competition is over for this week.

Asteroids

Blast Your Way Through the Asteroid Avalanche!

Asteroids plunge at you! Trapped in a gigantic cloud of asteroids, your

struggling spaceship hurls towards its doom. You'll have to pulverize all

the asteroids with your photon cannon to save your ship and your life!

Rubble from an exploding asteroid bounces off your ship's hull. A glowing

blur flashes across your viewing screen. So that's where the rubble came

from! The asteroid was blasted by an Alien Robot Saucer!

Alien Robot Saucers are also trapped in the asteroid cloud. And they fire

at random! You know that the metal in your ship's hull will register on

their target finders before the asteroids do. The saucers could be a worse

danger than the asteroids!

More rubble strikes your ship. Its hull rings like a bell. If you don't get

busy, that could be your death knell!

Game Information

Game Name: Asteroids

Released By: Atari, 1987

Game Mode: Advanced

Use your 7800 CONSOLE or EMULATOR to play.

Post your scores in this thread, they will be added to the Atari 7800 HSC scoreboard.

Remember to play each game with the recommended game mode or difficulty setting as shown above.

The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday June 29th at 1:00 AM

(Central Time, UTC-6)

7800 HSC scoring system

(Does not apply in a Variety pack)

1st place GOLD [10]+ 3 bonus points

2nd place SILVER [9]+ 2 bonus points

3rd place BRONZE [8]+ 1 bonus point

-

4 [7]

5 [6]

6 [5]

7 [4]

8 [3]

9 [2]

10th and lower is 1 point.

Manual Strategy

You can shoot at anything on screen, but you will score more points with a

target priority. The following tips can help you preserve your ship and

score high:

Fire first at the asteroids closest to your ship.

Then fire at the fastest moving target approaching you.

Fire at the saucers last.

You don't need to move your ship forward to play. You can stay in one place

and fire, turning on HYPERSPACE to protect yourself from asteroid

collisions. However, learning to move your ship can extend your playing

time by three or four ships per game.

Scoring

Use your photon cannon to destroy the foe and gain points. Player 1's score

is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen; Player 2's in the

upper right corner. The number of ships you have remaining is listed next

to your score.

You gain a bonus ship for every 10,000 points you score. Points are scored

in the following way:

Small saucer 1000 points

Other player's ship 500 points

Large saucer 200 points

Small asteroid 100 points

Medium asteroid 50 points

Large asteroid 20 points

Challenges / Bonus

Post a picture of your Atari 7800 a new or old pic, and get 2 bonus points.

If you don't own a 7800, post a picture of a "different" console you own for 1 bonus point.

+2 SpiceWare

+2 JacobZu7zu7

+2 Gorfy

+2 Jifremok

+2 atomickneedrop

High Scores

1. 37,040 atomickneedrop [10+GOLD 3]

2. 34,750 Jifremok [9+SILVER 2]

3. 31,640 oyamafamily [8+BRONZE 1]

-

4. 29,990 SpiceWare [7]

5. 29,710 Gorfy [6]

6. 23,180 Mord [5]

7. 21,680 JacobZu7zu7 [4]

8. 19,550 cparsley [3]

Standings

NONE YET

Best Tips

oyamafamily [+1]

ASTEROIDS TIPS:

1) TIP FOR BEGINNERS AND PLAYERS WHO HAVE LOW SKILL AND COORDINATION LEVEL: Practice with "Novice" game mode. In this setting, you start the gameplay with 2 big asteroids to destroy on 1st wave, and the maximum number of big asteroids on the gamefield per wave is 8 on "EASY" mode. Once you have regular skill, choose "INTERMEDIATE" game mode to train, and then pass to "ADVANCED" mode which we are playing.

2) PRACTICE MORE: After finishing this competition, my suggestion is to try "EXPERT" mode just for training, i.e., in order to test your skill and coordination.

3) SHOOTING DIRECTIONS: There are 16 directions which you can shoot the asteroids and enemy ships (UFOs and Satellites): 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, 90, 112.5, 135, 157.5, 180, 202.5, 225, 247.5, 270, 292.5, 315, and 337.5 degrees. On "Single Player" mode, you can shoot until 4 missiles at a time. This action allows to shoot faster.

4) HYPERSPACE: Use this feature ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES, i.e., if you get trapped by 2 or more asteroids! Sometimes, you can lose your life at the moment your ship emerge from the hyperspace. If your ship emerge from this feature INTACT, pay attention in the new ship position: if this reappear next the left or right side of screen, try to move your ship to the center quickly (the center is the best position to minimize the risk of collisions). You can also dodge the asteroids and bombs shot by enemy ships via moving your ship without using a Hyperspace feature.

5) NUMBER OF BIG ASTEROIDS AT THE STARTING OF EACH WAVE: On "Advanded" mode, you start the gameplay with 4 big asteroids on 1st wave. This number increases by 1 big asteroid for every wave completed. Later stages require a lot of practice, and a high coordination level.

6) ASTEROIDS SPEED: A good key is: focus specially on faster asteroids!

DEADLINE is Wednesday June 29th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6)

Sneak preview

Next week is, *Robotron 2084*

post-3059-0-85466900-1309311129_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

AGH! I had a 28,000 score... took the emulator pic through PRT/SCR,

and the white part with my 28ks, came out black :x

Since I don't remember the last 3 digits of the score, I don't know if that's the best way to go...

Here's my second best,

post-3059-0-33926700-1308859532_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

AGH! I had a 28,000 score... took the emulator pic through PRT/SCR,

and the white part with my 28ks, came out black :x

I've seen that happen where 1 of the colors is treated as though it were transparent. Try posting the image, it might show up.

I suck... 0 points :)

I'll have a better score tonight (or tomorrow at latest)

Oh don't be so hard on yourself. It takes a great deal of skill to miss every single asteroid and get shot down by aliens repeatedly. I mean come on, I tried without pressing the fire button and still managed 150 points because I'd run into an asteroid.

• Like 1

Just got 34750. Yesterday I had a similar score but the pic was so blurry I couldn't even read it. This one's a little better...

asteroids34750.jpg

Come to think of it, it looks kinda like some kind of "artist's rendition" of a screenshot.

Here's the 7800 I played this on. Not shown is the joystick that I actually used. While I like the Pro-Line (shown), I don't like not being able to hit down to warp.

the7800.jpg

Edited by Jifremok

Since I'm not able to improve my score, here are my tips to try to get 1 bonus point.

ASTEROIDS TIPS:

1) TIP FOR BEGINNERS AND PLAYERS WHO HAVE LOW SKILL AND COORDINATION LEVEL: Practice with "Novice" game mode. In this setting, you start the gameplay with 2 big asteroids to destroy on 1st wave, and the maximum number of big asteroids on the gamefield per wave is 8 on "EASY" mode. Once you have regular skill, choose "INTERMEDIATE" game mode to train, and then pass to "ADVANCED" mode which we are playing.

2) PRACTICE MORE: After finishing this competition, my suggestion is to try "EXPERT" mode just for training, i.e., in order to test your skill and coordination.

3) SHOOTING DIRECTIONS: There are 16 directions which you can shoot the asteroids and enemy ships (UFOs and Satellites): 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, 90, 112.5, 135, 157.5, 180, 202.5, 225, 247.5, 270, 292.5, 315, and 337.5 degrees. On "Single Player" mode, you can shoot until 4 missiles at a time. This action allows to shoot faster.

4) HYPERSPACE: Use this feature ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES, i.e., if you get trapped by 2 or more asteroids! Sometimes, you can lose your life at the moment your ship emerge from the hyperspace. If your ship emerge from this feature INTACT, pay attention in the new ship position: if this reappear next the left or right side of screen, try to move your ship to the center quickly (the center is the best position to minimize the risk of collisions). You can also dodge the asteroids and bombs shot by enemy ships via moving your ship without using a Hyperspace feature.

5) NUMBER OF BIG ASTEROIDS AT THE STARTING OF EACH WAVE: On "Advanded" mode, you start the gameplay with 4 big asteroids on 1st wave. This number increases by 1 big asteroid for every wave completed. Later stages require a lot of practice, and a high coordination level.

6) ASTEROIDS SPEED: A good key is: focus specially on faster asteroids!

Edited by oyamafamily