IGNORED

SIDE next HDD for Atari 8 bit preorder

zaxon

From what I see in your nice video and looking at the device:

1) It is SDX only (the regular MyIDE drivers won't work).

2) Regular cartridges other than internal BASIC (and any other internal carts) can't be used.

3) Is it a PBI device or?

Your board looks very nice, but it would be very useful if you (and/or a friend) posted a more complete description of your product before asking folks to pre-order. (Maybe I missed a description in another thread?)

1) Correct.

2) The unit implements a proprietary 1Mbit flashable cart as well, which unfortunately wasn't mentioned before. I don't know yet what application is used to flash the contents.

3) It's a cartridge.

AFAIK, the Ultimate 1MB SDX flasher is used to update DOS. As I say - I have no idea how the end user will flash the application cart (which has only just been implemented).

I am interested in buying one but I would like more informations.

IDE + 2.0 - SIDE differences (apart different connection)?

Advantages... disadvantages...

Will it work with Ultimate1MB internal expansion?

Would it be possible to have a simple on-screen xex/atr loader (like SIO2SD/SDrive)?

SIDE is not a PBI HDD interface, so isn't visible to the stock Atari OS (it has no way to switch driver code into $D800). It merely presents the IDE hardware registers (including hardware drive reset) to the computer.

Therefore, at the moment, the only way to use the device is with the SDX driver, loaded from the default CONFIG.SYS on the built-in SDX cart. Contrast this with IDE+, which works seamlessly with the Atari OS and is ostensibly accessible from any DOS without additional drivers.

Advantages of SIDE:

• Inexpensive
  • Small
  • Built-in flashcart
  • Optimised for CF card usage (marginally faster transfers)
  • Support for brand new draft Atari Partition Table (APT) spec very soon
  • Works with my partition editor :)
  • Should work with Atari 400/800/1200XL/XEGS (I require confirmation on those first two, however)

I am quite certain Candle has carefully aligned registers so as not to clash with his existing upgrades. Ultimate 1MB flasher is used to flash SDX component, but presumably one would first disable SDX component of Ultimate 1MB before use (one hardly requires two SDX carts at one time).

I'll surely write or be somehow involved in the creation of an XEX loader, since we want the interface to be as close to "plug and play" as possible. My initial experience of the unit was very positive: I simply plugged in a CF card, plugged in the cartridge, booted, partitioned the drive, and I was ready to go.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

One question, are the IDE registers mapped the same as MyIDE? In other words, could the MyIDE OS (e.g. in a 32-in-1 OS chip) use this interface?

No - Candle has moved them for reasons of improved compatibility.

I imagine we'll consider custom OS's and such further down the line.

• Inexpensive

Well it's only about $20.00 cheaper than my IDE+ 2.0 (including the custom cable for the XL)

with all of the other items released recently I can't justify buying another CF type interface. Will these be available indefinately? or will they be limited?

Edited by orpheuswaking

Regarding XEX loader, will this allow the CF to be completely filled with XEX files and loaded from a menu? or will the space be limited to SDX partition size?

If it's limited to partition size I already have premade PicoDOS game files so a XEX loader would be of no use to me.

What I really want is the ability to create say 8 partitions for general use and then fill the rest of the card with game files that can be run from a menu.

- If a CF is 1GB, can I use 1GB or just 512MB?

- How big is the chance, that there will be a driver for e.g. MyDOS?

You can partition as much or as little of a 1GB CF card as you like.

Regarding MyDOS driver: it's a difficult situation. The MyIDE driver for SpartaDOS X, and then the SIDE, came about because of the unique nature of SDX: namely, that it boots from a cartridge. This enables us to load drivers, etc, from CAR: before having to deal with disk access. No other Atari 8-bit DOS works this way (except perhaps a distantly recalled MyDOS cartridge?). So really, unless you want to boot the HDD driver from floppy every time, a custom or soft-loaded OS is the only other way to access the HDD.

Is there much of a chance? Well - if I'm compelled to start writing a custom OS, it will certainly have only the bare minimum functionality necessary to access the disk, and it's not a task I will undertake soon. MyIDE is still readily available from AtariMax...

...it's only about $20.00 cheaper than my IDE+ 2.0 (including the custom cable for the XL)

with all of the other items released recently I can't justify buying another CF type interface. Will these be available indefinately? or will they be limited?

I don't know what the availability window will be. I hope to publish a special edition of the GUI on SIDE in a year or so.

Regarding price: at least you get an external 2Mbit flash cart thrown in, effectively. :)

Regarding XEX loader, will this allow the CF to be completely filled with XEX files and loaded from a menu? or will the space be limited to SDX partition size?

If it's limited to partition size I already have premade PicoDOS game files so a XEX loader would be of no use to me.

What I really want is the ability to create say 8 partitions for general use and then fill the rest of the card with game files that can be run from a menu.

I'm a little unsure as to what the plans are for the XEX loader. The new partition table is still being designed, so we should have definite answers soon.

Probably a silly question, but since SIDE is a cartridge, can't the cart contain code to load the driver and boot the drive? Perhaps even a boot menu?

I presume that the MyIDE always worked (including the new 4.6) because it is a custom OS. The SIDE would be nice to have, but gotta have my MyDos.

It really is probably a moot point, because the folks that would have to do the "heavy lifting" are all SDX users -- there is no real incentive.

But out of curiosity, bob1200xl might have some conceptual thoughts, since his HD boots Dos 2.0 from his HD with a stock OS (although his is a true PBI device). But anyway, as you say the MyIDE family is still available, and 4.6 is a big leap forward for MyDos users.

-Larry

Flashjazzcat said:

>You can partition as much or as little of a 1GB CF card as you like.

Regarding MyDOS driver: it's a difficult situation. The MyIDE driver for SpartaDOS X, and then the SIDE, came about because of the unique nature of SDX: namely, that it boots from a cartridge. This enables us to load drivers, etc, from CAR: before having to deal with disk access. No other Atari 8-bit DOS works this way (except perhaps a distantly recalled MyDOS cartridge?). So really, unless you want to boot the HDD driver from floppy every time, a custom or soft-loaded OS is the only other way to access the HDD.

Is there much of a chance? Well - if I'm compelled to start writing a custom OS, it will certainly have only the bare minimum functionality necessary to access the disk, and it's not a task I will undertake soon. MyIDE is still readily available from AtariMax...<

Probably a silly question, but since SIDE is a cartridge, can't the cart contain code to load the driver and boot the drive? Perhaps even a boot menu?

I presume that the MyIDE always worked (including the new 4.6) because it is a custom OS. The SIDE would be nice to have, but gotta have my MyDos.

It really is probably a moot point, because the folks that would have to do the "heavy lifting" are all SDX users -- there is no real incentive.

But out of curiosity, bob1200xl might have some conceptual thoughts, since his HD boots Dos 2.0 from his HD with a stock OS (although his is a true PBI device). But anyway, as you say the MyIDE family is still available, and 4.6 is a big leap forward for MyDos users.

Magic words there are "his is a true PBI device".

However, sure a cart can have a bootloader on it and pull files off the disk, but it won't easily intercept DOS's SIO calls. I'll bet Sijmen already thought long and hard on this problem. One solution he found was to install a soft-OS off the cartridge.

But Atari designed the PBI ROM the way they did for a reason: it's not perfect, but it allows a driver to be in the right place at the right time. It's essentially the same end result as having a custom OS ROM (though significantly more flexible), and you have the added advantage of putting your partition table buffers in the $D800 range as well. One of the most dire problems with the MyIDE OS ROM is where to put the partition table. The answer to that question is "in the stack". ;)