IGNORED

All hail... the Jungle King!

Jess Ragan

My latest 2600 hack is a conversion of Jungle King, the original version of Jungle Hunt that Taito was forced to change after the estate of Edgar Rice Burrows threatened a lawsuit. Well, after tweaking the 2600 version of Jungle Hunt, the game is once again the way the designers had intended it. I've not only changed the main character but the game's logo and score fonts as well. It's so close to the arcade original that the jungle hero's hair even changes color from round to round!

This hack should be available on Atari Age in a couple of days. You won't be able to buy the game in cartridge form just yet, because I'm not quite finished with it... the lady you rescue at the end of the game still looks pretty ridiculous and I want to change her into something you might actually want to rescue. Also, I'd love to insert the arcade game's awesome soundtrack, but such a feat is beyond my abilities... I'd need Paul Slocum's assistance for this.

JR

hey hey! I've been "suggesting" this on and off for the past couple of months here so that sounds awesome :D That's imho is a most logical new "graphic" hack of any that can be thought of. :)

... now if only there were enough cycles for Paul Slocum to eventually include the Jungle Hunt background tune :D

"I don't suppose there was any way to add in the slope during the boulder level?"

Sure wish I could, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. It'd also be nice to add the cauldron in the fourth level... come to think of it, I COULD do this, but the girl would have to be inside the pot rather than hanging over it, and that'd be a little morbid. :|

I just realized that I could post the ROM *right now* thanks to the features offered by this new forum, but Alex wants a simultaneous release for the cartridge and the ROM, so I'll wait until it's finished. Cross your fingers for a release on New Year's Day!

JR

aaww come on give the guy a break :P Tarzan yell? Hair changing colors?! Sloping on the rock level!? It's the 2600 for crying out loud.. just having the tarzan dude graphic hack is good enough! 8)

... and umm adding in the background music too I might add *cough*.. yeah :D

Um...the hair changing colors was a attribute of the arcade game, and should be relatively easy to do (compared to all other suggestions).

+"technically possible" points for me

/smugness

uhh of course I know the hair changes color in the arcade game.. come on dude. ;) Next thing you know you'll be telling me there are monkeys on the vines later on :P ;)

I was just saying that maybe it'll be too much to ask for in a 2600 version.. but if you say it would be easy to implement, then it probably is.. so I defer :)

If you want any help with some simple recoding I will assist... I enjoy hacks that bring the game closer to the original.

It would probably not be hard to draw in the pot under the girl with some simple recoding... however the slope in the boulder level would be more challenging... but it may be worth looking in to.

"Um...the hair changing colors was a attribute of the arcade game, and should be relatively easy to do (compared to all other suggestions). "

Good news, man... the multiple hair colors ARE in this version of Jungle King. He starts out with a jet black 'do and switches over to red as the game progresses. He's still kind of bald in the second round when he's swimming with the gators, though. The 2600 coloring scheme is weird, kind of like adding layers to a cake, so there wasn't much I could do for him in the second round. Pretend he's wearing a really tight pink swimmer's cap. :D

Alex just gave me permission to post the ROM on Atari Age. It'll be up for grabs on another thread... please post your opinions of it there!

JR