IGNORED

Mario Bros GBA HSC

toptenmaterial

For our third Retro Madness HSC, we will be doing Mario Bros for the Game Boy Advance. It is found on the Super Mario Advance games.

Why this version of Mario Bros? Because it is a beautiful and fun conversion, yet most of us haven't played it that often. It is pretty common and ROMs for emulation are readily available.

Rules: The contest begins on July 4th at 12:00 AM, EST, and ends on August 4th, EST. No late submissions will be accepted. Acceptable platforms are Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS via GBA slot, Game Boy Play and emulation. Absolutely no hacks, cheats or tool assist. Photo confirmation is mandatory.

I will not be doing prizes for this round. I have seen things getting ugly on other forums lately, and I want the dust to settle. Maybe in the future we can include prizes, but for now it's AA bragging rights only. :)

GOOD LUCK!!!

post-24170-0-16598000-1309715618_thumb.jpg

post-24170-0-03767200-1309715633_thumb.png

dude no way! sweet! i might have to take some AA'ers to school on this round! :)

Did you use emulation? Was it smooth?

I used the emulator Visual Boy Advance, the game played great.

I like how Nintendo added some music from Super Mario Bros. in this game.

The background graphics are cool.

The falling icicles from Ice Climber are a nice touch, but really amps up the difficulty.

All in all this is a great version of Mario Bros. :) :thumbsup:

This was my 3,000 post too. :) :cool: :party:

I Hunger :)

What's that from???

No computer or GBA cart so I'm sitting this one out. Next HSC will be a 7800 DK and DK jr double feature!!

We can keep going with this particular thread or have it deleted, whatever you guys want.

I don't know, but I do hunger for some pellets. :lol: Maybe if there aren't any more entries, we can close it. It's kind of odd to use a side-game for a HSC (not trying to be mean).

I Hunger :)

What's that from???

No computer or GBA cart so I'm sitting this one out. Next HSC will be a 7800 DK and DK jr double feature!!

We can keep going with this particular thread or have it deleted, whatever you guys want.

Sinistar :)

Keep it alive.

This is a great game, more people should play it. :)

No, that top POW is asking for death. Did you use your continue? I didn't. I overlooked that in my original post, so what do you think?

Today was the first time I'd played Mario Bros GBA in several months. I must say, it's a really solid port!

Speaking of GBA, it might be interesting at some point to do a Namco Museum HSC!!

No, that top POW is asking for death. Did you use your continue? I didn't. I overlooked that in my original post, so what do you think?

Today was the first time I'd played Mario Bros GBA in several months. I must say, it's a really solid port!

Speaking of GBA, it might be interesting at some point to do a Namco Museum HSC!!

I didn't use any continues.

Namco Museum, what platform?

edit - i just fired up the emulator and using a continue resets the score to 0

Edited by roadrunner

I guess that would make sense- it just lets you continue on with the level, like SMB or Castlevania.

Namco Musuem is available as a GBA cart, and an excellent one. It has been released on many platforms, but the two that I am the most familier with are the GBA and N64 versions, which I believe are identical. The GBA version contains Galaga, Galaxian, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Pole Position. If you can't find the ROM, the cart can be had dirt cheap.

@RR: In fact, once we get our ducks in a row and figure out a consistant method of doing these HSCs, it may be possible to get a permenant GBA gaming thread here.

I am going to start observing some of the other HSCs here as they seem pretty coherant.

It would be nice to have a forum for mobile gaming, be it Nintendo, Sony or an iOS or Android device. With the latter two, there are a very large selection of arcade apps, and some of those are specifically designed for the devices they run on.

I'll ask around and get some opinions.

• 1 year later...