IGNORED

What would be a fair price? Bally Astrocade

Kirbot

Time to sell some stuff and raise money for a laptop...

I'm going to list this on the classifieds, but I really have no idea how to price it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

The box is in pretty rough shape, but the system itself is about as nice as they come.

The plastic cover has a few scratches on it, but aside from that, it's just about perfect.

It works great too.

It only has one controller.

p1150594.jpg

p1150598j.jpg

p1150597r.jpg

p1150596.jpg

p1150599.jpg

p1150618.jpg

p1150603s.jpg

p1150609.jpg

p1150611.jpg

p1150602.jpg

I got mine here at AA from Jess Ragan about a month ago. Mine was one of the less common white consoles. It came with 4 or 5 games, 2 controllers and the console looked pretty flawless. The box in bad condition, very dirty with tape holding it together.

I got, what I consider to be an amazing deal of $75 + shipping ($100 total). I think your system is valuable, but only if you can find the right buyer. I see these on eBay for upwards of $300, but I would never be willing to pay that. It is a system with a particular buyer, as it was rather obscure, even in its' heyday. Best of luck with the sale. I am sure someone here will PM you soon!

I got mine here at AA from Jess Ragan about a month ago. Mine was one of the less common white consoles. It came with 4 or 5 games, 2 controllers and the console looked pretty flawless. The box in bad condition, very dirty with tape holding it together.

I got, what I consider to be an amazing deal of $75 + shipping ($100 total). I think your system is valuable, but only if you can find the right buyer. I see these on eBay for upwards of $300, but I would never be willing to pay that. It is a system with a particular buyer, as it was rather obscure, even in its' heyday. Best of luck with the sale. I am sure someone here will PM you soon!

Thanks!

Ever since I bought it at a flea market a few years ago, I've checked ebay whenever I thought about it, hoping to see one like it sell. But it just seems like there's never any for sale that I could really base the value on.

I'll tell you one thing, I don't think that box and instruction manual match the actual system deck you have. Those are labeled for Astrocade (box) and Professional Arcade (manual), but your system is Bally Computer System which is the oldest make of the Astrocade.

There are at least three different makes of the system and those all belong to different ones.

Edited by TheGameCollector

I'm going to list this on the classifieds, but I really have no idea how to price it.

The box is in pretty rough shape, but the system itself is about as nice as they come.

The plastic cover has a few scratches on it, but aside from that, it's just about perfect.

It works great too.

For a fully functioning Bally Computer System model, which is pretty common, I would say ask at least $100 and settle for no less than $75.00. Just do yourself a favor and really play the system for several hours on any type of level surface other than a carpet. The systems are prone to failure, but my experience is if you can play it for several hours without any glitches or it crapping out completely, you've got yourself a keeper. Less of a headache in the long run with someone calling you back to say the system just died on them. (Just make sure they know not to play with it on the carpet).

I see these systems going up in value in the near future, especially with the recent homebrew release of War and the upcoming release of Crazy Climber. (A little birdie also told me that bigger or should I say larger things are coming on the horizon).

For a White Montgomery Ward version of the Bally Professional Arcade (which I assume yours is) I'd say you got a great deal. For a pristine console that is still white and not off-white or yellowing, easily $150.00 to $200.00. I rank that model as the third rarest version. Nice score.

I'll tell you one thing, I don't think that box and instruction manual match the actual system deck you have. Those are labeled for Astrocade (box) and Professional Arcade (manual), but your system is Bally Computer System which is the oldest make of the Astrocade.

There are at least three different makes of the system and those all belong to different ones.

There really is no "matching" of boxes, manuals, etc. when it comes to this system, except for perhaps the earliest system which by the way was the Home Library Computer, not the Bally Computer System. The systems history from Bally, then Astrovision and finally Astrocade, boxes, manuals, controllers and consoles where all kind of "thrown" together like a box of chocolates. So basically you never know what you are gonna get.

Sites like Bally Alley and THE Bally/Astrocade FAQ can fill in a lot of information on this:

http://www.ballyalley.com/

http://alteeve.com/~lance/Ballyfaq.html

There were four different "names" for this system:

1) Home Library Computer

2) Bally Professional Arcade

3) Bally Computer System

4) Astrocade

The Home Library Computer model was by mail order only, so I suspect whatever those systems came with would have matched that era console.

The Bally Professional Arcade, the second release, came in both a woodgrain finish as well as the white finish (the white being the rarer of the two). Then came the Bally Computer System and finally the Astrocade brand. I rank the Home Library Computer model as rarest, followed by the Astrocade and then the white Montgomery Ward Bally Professional Arcade version.

They are also the only ones I keep on display:

HLC_BPA_AST.JPG

It works great too.

For a fully functioning Bally Computer System model, which is pretty common, I would say ask at least $100 and settle for no less than $75.00. Just do yourself a favor and really play the system for several hours on any type of level surface other than a carpet. The systems are prone to failure, but my experience is if you can play it for several hours without any glitches or it crapping out completely, you've got yourself a keeper. Less of a headache in the long run with someone calling you back to say the system just died on them. (Just make sure they know not to play with it on the carpet).

I see these systems going up in value in the near future, especially with the recent homebrew release of War and the upcoming release of Crazy Climber. (A little birdie also told me that bigger or should I say larger things are coming on the horizon).

For a White Montgomery Ward version of the Bally Professional Arcade (which I assume yours is) I'd say you got a great deal. For a pristine console that is still white and not off-white or yellowing, easily $150.00 to $200.00. I rank that model as the third rarest version. Nice score.

There really is no "matching" of boxes, manuals, etc. when it comes to this system, except for perhaps the earliest system which by the way was the Home Library Computer, not the Bally Computer System. The systems history from Bally, then Astrovision and finally Astrocade, boxes, manuals, controllers and consoles where all kind of "thrown" together like a box of chocolates. So basically you never know what you are gonna get.

Sites like Bally Alley and THE Bally/Astrocade FAQ can fill in a lot of information on this:

http://www.ballyalley.com/

http://alteeve.com/~lance/Ballyfaq.html

There were four different "names" for this system:

1) Home Library Computer

2) Bally Professional Arcade

3) Bally Computer System

4) Astrocade

The Home Library Computer model was by mail order only, so I suspect whatever those systems came with would have matched that era console.

The Bally Professional Arcade, the second release, came in both a woodgrain finish as well as the white finish (the white being the rarer of the two). Then came the Bally Computer System and finally the Astrocade brand. I rank the Home Library Computer model as rarest, followed by the Astrocade and then the white Montgomery Ward Bally Professional Arcade version.

They are also the only ones I keep on display:

HLC_BPA_AST.JPG

Ah that makes sense why the manual says Bally Professional Arcade. The model I have is the 2nd oldest, the woodgrain Professional Arcade. So you're saying really when a box said Astrocade which was the newest model, sometimes the manufacturer would just throw in one of the older models to clear stock?

Edited by TheGameCollector

Ah that makes sense why the manual says Bally Professional Arcade. The model I have is the 2nd oldest, the woodgrain Professional Arcade. So you're saying really when a box said Astrocade which was the newest model, sometimes the manufacturer would just throw in one of the older models to clear stock?

Pretty much with any of the boxes, since "Astrovision" began distribution with whatever stock Bally had left over, as I understand it. Probably best detailed on Lance F. Squire's FAQ site:

http://alteeve.com/~lance/BoxVariation.html