IGNORED

Sick of the Hair Dryer Xbox 360!

mtshark7

So I finally got Homefront to play on my 360, haven't played a game on it since Dead Space 2, so as I'm playing it I notice the fans are SOOOO LOUD on my console I can't concentrate on the game w/o hearing how loud they are in the background.

Granted I got my 360 in 2006 so it's pretty old.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there away to quiet it down some?

Or should I say the hell with it and buy a 360 slim?

Yeah mine sounds like a jet taking off.

I cracked it open to see if I could adjust something to quiet it down, I was guessing the fan was causing one metal piece to vibrate against another. But I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. So it's still pretty loud. Installing the game is your only way of silencing the beast.

You got an old 360.. I'm guessing probably a Samsung drive.

Even the newer phat models (e.g. the Jasper units with the Liteon drive) are a lot quieter than those models. Or of course if you get the new Slim units, those are very quiet as well.

Yea I got mine in September 2006 and only RR on me once and got it fixed under warranty and is still alive and kicking...it doesn't even have HDMI port :(

You got an old 360.. I'm guessing probably a Samsung drive.

Even the newer phat models (e.g. the Jasper units with the Liteon drive) are a lot quieter than those models. Or of course if you get the new Slim units, those are very quiet as well.

I have noticed that certain games, more than others, really make the older 360's rev up like that. Homefront, Left 4 Dead and Black Ops are just a few that I own where this is extremely noticeable. I'n not sure the reason, but it concerns me that it is over working the console. I am planning on buying a much bigger hard drive to accommodate storage for my games.

Probably not. I've had so many 360's and have fired them up side by side I can tell you for a fact it's just the older models and certain DVD drives. The particular drives are just so loud.. that's all there is to it. They literally sound like jet engines. But you probably aren't overworking them beyond what they need to do. Again, they're just LOUD. :lol: :P

My day 1 console was sooooo loud. It sounded like a jet engine... and I live by an airport. It was only that loud when a 360 game was in the drive though. DVD's and original Xbox games were nowhere near as loud. The drive still wasn't what I would call quiet with those either though. Once I got my HD-DVD drive I always used it for movies whether they were HD or not. That drive is pretty quiet. Now that I have the slim the main drive is just as quiet, if not quieter. I still use the HD-DVD drive for movies though because... what else am I going to use it for? Anyway, when I first turned my slim on I thought it was broken. I was about to get mad that the thing was DOA before I realized there was air moving through it. Now my front projector is much louder than my 360. You wouldn't know the difference between it being powered on or off if the projector is on.

So I finally got Homefront to play on my 360, haven't played a game on it since Dead Space 2, so as I'm playing it I notice the fans are SOOOO LOUD on my console I can't concentrate on the game w/o hearing how loud they are in the background.

Once your 360 RROD's again it'll be really quiet.

In the long run your best option would be to buy a slim. The only other money spending option I'd even remotely consider would be to buy a used Jasper model from Craiglist. I'd make the person login to Xbox Live before I bought it from them though.

I'd guess your current model is louder now due to dust buildup.

If you do end up with a slim you could always use this one as a hair dryer.

• Like 1

LMAO!!! That’s true.

I might take a vacuum to it to clean the back of it out and see if that helps. I definitely don't want it to RR again, that would be unfortunate since I just started playing it again.

That would definitely be quite a heavy hair dryer ;)

Once your 360 RROD's again it'll be really quiet.

In the long run your best option would be to buy a slim. The only other money spending option I'd even remotely consider would be to buy a used Jasper model from Craiglist. I'd make the person login to Xbox Live before I bought it from them though.

I'd guess your current model is louder now due to dust buildup.

If you do end up with a slim you could always use this one as a hair dryer.