IGNORED

Season 7 Round 5 - Ninja Gaiden

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 5 of the 7th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

Again, I apologize for the tardiness in getting this round posted.

Twin Galaxies now requires people to create an account and log in if they wish to view high scores. I object to this, and as a result I will no longer be listing TG high scores with each round's game.

This week's game is going to be Ninja Gaiden

Title: Ninja Gaiden

Developer: Tecmo

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: March 1989 (US)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzU53dVHGSo

You shouldn't use any continues. That goes for any game that we play unless we decide otherwise beforehand. Doesn't the game reset your score when you continue, anyway?

Any other rules that we should discuss now? I've never played this for score, so I dunno. As usual, try to just play the game and get as far as possible, as opposed to point-pressing. Point-pressing isn't cheating, but it also isn't very sportsmanlike.

Chris

You're right, Larcen. Whereas normally defeat by a boss sends you back to the previous section, Act-6 PUNISHES you by sending you all the way back to 6-1 (watch Retro Game Master Ep. 1 on Kotaku to see this). For all but the most hardcore NG players this is where people decide to turn the game off. It's hard enough to get to the boss room alone, but when you have to do it again after losing to a boss.. :mad:

Who is really worried about act 6? Hell I have been playing this game for years and by act 4-3 I'm starting to think bad thoughts. I don't know that I have ever made act 6 without a continue or 757,234,763 of em.

That said I love this game and can't wait to get to my NES to play away. I have never played for score but I'll be taking the "get as far as I can, check the score when it says 'game over'" tactic on this one.

OHOHOH! Can I post TGI's scoreboard then? I was chasing this score for a while.

1. 2,072,000 Kristian Emanuelsen

2 1,880,600 Juan M Castellanos

3. 247,700 Robert S Ferguson

4. 227,600 Cory R Sexton

5. 209,500 Daryl Kiddey

6. 199,700 Brent T Coffman

7. 183,600 Matthew Corsi

8. 165,400 David R Archey

9. 164,300 Mickey L Thomas

10. 110,900 Jon Taber

Since all levels are timed, you can point press them to the MAX! My problem, pressing this game bores me to tears. Maybe I will dust it off for one more run. I have been playing it casually from time to time still. Seems like I hit 200k without pressing anything. Such a great game!

1M or bust?

B

This is going to be a hard game to get a picture of. It goes right to the game over screen when you die the last time. So there is no chance to bring up your camera to take a picture in time. Hell, you are lucky to get a good luck at that score, you just start looking at it every time you die to make sure you get it.

This is going to be a hard game to get a picture of. It goes right to the game over screen when you die the last time. So there is no chance to bring up your camera to take a picture in time. Hell, you are lucky to get a good luck at that score, you just start looking at it every time you die to make sure you get it.

You ain't kidding! I even had my camera ready and all I got was the Game Over screen. Maybe record the game and get the SS from the playback? I would put I have enough on my deck as it is. I'm not adding a VCR :P But my NES looks really good on this Flat CRT

Run ended on 5-2. A bat caught me in a jump. There was some a little point pressing :cool:

B

Edited by bigbee99

What is the trick to the level 4 boss. I just can't seem to kill that mother^!#$er or would that be those mother^@#$ers?

The slow boss is a dummy. Hitting him does nothing. You can pretty much hide under the platforms to hit the fast one when he passes by.

B

I just noticed what Jibbajaba said.

As usual, try to just play the game and get as far as possible, as opposed to point-pressing. Point-pressing isn't cheating, but it also isn't very sportsmanlike.

So if we are not gonna point press, I retract my score.

My bad. That will teach me to read the whole thread ;)

Back to the drawing board.

B

It's really up to you guys. But either everyone should point press, or no one should do it. Like I said it isn't cheating, but it just doesn't seem sportsmanlike to me.

As far as the screenshots go, remember that they aren't required. The game doesn't display the high score at the top of the screen if you play again without shutting off the console?

Chris

what exactly does point pressing mean?

Since this game has timed levels, you stay in the level until time is almost up killing the re-spawning enemies. Take 1-1 for example. The best scoring enemy in that level is 200 points, the spider/dog thing. When you get to the end of the level, there is one that comes from behind you right before you get to the signs and the last 2 boxers. This is less than 10 secs from the exit door. You can rack up another 20k or so off of that spider before time runs out. Since Ninja Gaiden's timer resets at the beginning of each level, and the boss rooms are a separate level, this can be a number of time in the game.

I'm game either way. Without pressing, the games are shorter and less annoying.

B

• Like 2

Oh ok...awesome! Thanks for clarifying :)

So has there been a FINAL decision of the rules? Or is it still up in the air?

Cos I wanna try this game out but don't wanna start until the rules have been finalized.

what exactly does point pressing mean?

Since this game has timed levels, you stay in the level until time is almost up killing the re-spawning enemies. Take 1-1 for example. The best scoring enemy in that level is 200 points, the spider/dog thing. When you get to the end of the level, there is one that comes from behind you right before you get to the signs and the last 2 boxers. This is less than 10 secs from the exit door. You can rack up another 20k or so off of that spider before time runs out. Since Ninja Gaiden's timer resets at the beginning of each level, and the boss rooms are a separate level, this can be a number of time in the game.

I'm game either way. Without pressing, the games are shorter and less annoying.

B

As far as the screenshots go, remember that they aren't required. The game doesn't display the high score at the top of the screen if you play again without shutting off the console?

When you die the last time and the game plays it's little "You Died" music it the last time you see your score. No in game high score saver.

B

168,700 is my new top score.

The advice on the level 4 boss certainly helped, as I was able to clear him and move forward to the next level. Now, level 5-1 was brutal and I'm starting to wonder if I really want to try to beat this game at all.... at this point I would like to, but I'm afraid I might break my own face if I try too much too often. Time will tell.

My updated score w/o point pressing.

A cool even number. I almost beat the game on one continue. I got the tail off the demon, the head, started jabbing at the heart to no avail. I did manage to nab a pic right after I killed the Jaquio. Look at how close it was! And I was on my last man too!

B