IGNORED

Modded my Odyssey 2 to use Atari Joysticks

toymailman

I'm kinda surprised one wouldn't prefer the Oddysee 2 controllers. I mean I like the atari joysticks, but the O2 controllers are much better IMHO

I simply grew up with an Atari 2600 and am very accustomed to them. The O2 sticks are not bad though. Another advantage, like others have mentioned, is that if a stick goes bad it is much easier to repair/replace an Atari stick.

I'm kinda surprised one wouldn't prefer the Oddysee 2 controllers. I mean I like the atari joysticks, but the O2 controllers are much better IMHO

I simply grew up with an Atari 2600 and am very accustomed to them. The O2 sticks are not bad though. Another advantage, like others have mentioned, is that if a stick goes bad it is much easier to repair/replace an Atari stick.

I grew up with OD2, and hate the stock sticks. This is someone who logged thousands of hours on them before ever touching an Atari. Not sure why but the box just feels junky to me, the stick is nice, the button is horrible.

AX

I've been collecting all the old video gaming mags from the early 80's and have most of them now. I've also read them all cover to cover.

It is very interesting that it seems 100% of the articles that talk about the CX-40 generally don't like them. When the other consoles are compared to the Atari the articles seem to indicate how great the other system's controllers are such as Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, etc. However, (for me again) I havn't got into collecting for any of those systems BECAUSE of the controllers. That Intellivision disc thing gives me no control at all. I found some Sticklers and those have helped give it a joystick feel, but the buttons still don't feel "right" to me. I am just a CX-40 fanboy I guess. :D

I've been collecting all the old video gaming mags from the early 80's and have most of them now. I've also read them all cover to cover.

It is very interesting that it seems 100% of the articles that talk about the CX-40 generally don't like them. When the other consoles are compared to the Atari the articles seem to indicate how great the other system's controllers are such as Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, etc. However, (for me again) I havn't got into collecting for any of those systems BECAUSE of the controllers. That Intellivision disc thing gives me no control at all. I found some Sticklers and those have helped give it a joystick feel, but the buttons still don't feel "right" to me. I am just a CX-40 fanboy I guess. :D

I hardly ever game on the colecovision/intellivision because of the keypad controllers. It fits awkwardly in my hand and there isn't really a need for 14ish buttons. Plus you have to find games with the overlay which is a hassle.

• 10 months later...

I agree. The controllers are half the charm of the system. The other half is the extremely smooth graphics. Even if they were blockier.

I recently found a guide on how to replace the video cable on the odyssey 2 with a standard RCA cable. It is really quite simple, it only took me about 10 minutes all together.

http://www.ozyr.com/o2/tvcordhk.html

Hope this helps someone.

I did that and the picture is AMAZING! Sux it's still RF but the best RF I have seen for any console. I ended up dremel-ing out the side cos the cable was super thick.

I don't mind the Odyssey2 controllers, really. The sticks tilt without a lot of pressure applied to them, which is more than you can say for a lot of pre-crash controllers.

I'm tempted to try a few of these mods myself, but I've been batting zero with my latest soldering jobs.

• 3 months later...

Though I'm rather late to this topic (at least it has replies from this year), when I collected an O2 and a plethora of games but the controllers were stuck and non-functional, I cut them off the cords that came with the unit and neatly attached the DB9 male plugs in place of the controllers. It's handy when the O2 has built-in controller extension cords.

I think I also performed a DC blocking circuit mod on RF Modulator so that I could plug the RF cord into automatic switching RF boxes, like that came with my 64-bit Atari Jaguar.

• 10 months later...

I decided to add Atari serial ports to the Odyssey 2 with the plug in controllers and I was doing a continuity test and somehow up and ground are the same?

What I thought for the units that have the plug are on the Odyssey 2 DB-9 Socket:

1.Up <----Ground???

2.Down

3.Left

4.Right

5.N/A

6.Fire

7.N/A (Ground)

8.Ground

9.N/A (Ground)

Does anyone know the pin outs of the controller Male ports on the odyssey 2?

Also I think solarfox's diagram on page 4/5 of the atari controller DB9-F is wrong.

He has the following:

1.UP

2.Down

3.Right

4.Left

5.N/A

6.Fire

7.N/A

8.Ground

9.N/A

When It should be:

1.Up

2.Down

3.Left

4.Right

5.N/A

6.Fire

7.N/A

8.Ground

9.N/A

Is that correct?

Thanks!

No up and ground are not the same, on a odyssey 2 pin 1 is used for ground on a atari pin 1 is up. If you want to use a standard atari joystick on a odyssey2, you need to rewire a few leads:

Pinouts for the Odyssey2 joystick port:

1 - Ground
2 - Fire
3 - Left
4 - Down
5 - Right
6 - Up
7,8,9 - not connected

Pinouts for the Atari 2600 (etc) port, just for reference:

1 - Up
2 - Down
3 - Left
4 - Right
6 - Fire
8 - Ground
5,7,9 - not connected (actually, paddle inputs, etc)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/184738-modded-my-odyssey-2-to-use-atari-joysticks/page-2

Edited by Seob
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

The DB9's are CRAZY CHEAP delivered from China!

gallery_35324_1027_13857.jpg

As projects go, this should be an easy one. I think I'll just remove the original O2 joysticks. I might even do the A/V mod as well.

What do you think... should I just install one connector and install a switch to select between joystick 1 and 2 or should I install 2 ports?

I know some games require joystick 2, so with two ports there would have to be plugging and un-plugging involved.

The DB9's are CRAZY CHEAP delivered from China!

gallery_35324_1027_13857.jpg

As projects go, this should be an easy one. I think I'll just remove the original O2 joysticks. I might even do the A/V mod as well.

What do you think... should I just install one connector and install a switch to select between joystick 1 and 2 or should I install 2 ports?

I know some games require joystick 2, so with two ports there would have to be plugging and un-plugging involved.

Modify both ports, even if you plan to play only 1 player games. Think that is easier and cheaper then using a switch.

• 1 month later...