IGNORED

Boulder Dash (R) Demo Release

Andrew Davie

18 cycles seems quite a lot. Definitely not possible during the FSS logo. Can you update every 2nd or 3rd frame instead? How would your code look like?

512 bytes has to be possible somehow.

It will need to run on every scanline or it probably won't sound very good. I didn't expect it to work during the FSS logo, anyway, just the title screen.

I mean the logo at the bottom right of the title screen. Also I would like to see some source code too.

18 cycles seems quite a lot. Definitely not possible during the FSS logo. Can you update every 2nd or 3rd frame instead? How would your code look like?

512 bytes has to be possible somehow.

It will need to run on every scanline or it probably won't sound very good. I didn't expect it to work during the FSS logo, anyway, just the title screen.

I mean the logo at the bottom right of the title screen. Also I would like to see some source code too.

Oh, I see. Well, since there is so much blank space on the right of it save for a couple of short lines, perhaps it doesn't need a strict 48 pixel kernel (can these lines be drawn with a missile? the playfield?)

I'll clean up the source and PM it to you guys, with explanation as to how it works.

Who has NOT made it to the second cave, despite trying?

Who HAS made it past the second cave?

I haven't figured out the first cave yet. I thought dropping boulders on the square monsters turned them into diamonds, but that wasn't right. I'm stumped and I'll have to play with it more later.

I tried the demo in Stella. Very impressive. One thing I didn't notice from the screen shots until trying it via emu is how Rockford's sprite is multicolored. It's more monocromatic on the 800. It's neat how the colors are used on the 2600.

I tried the demo in Stella. Very impressive. One thing I didn't notice from the screen shots until trying it via emu is how Rockford's sprite is multicolored. It's more monocromatic on the 800. It's neat how the colors are used on the 2600.

Exactly what I say... If there was only one choice from Atari, it would be without any doubts 2600... so much more effort invested into coding its games than any other platform

I thought dropping boulders on the square monsters turned them into diamonds, but that wasn't right.

Same here.

The square got hit from above by a falling rock, but didn't turn into diamonds.

Perhaps some squares don't give any diamond bonus?

8)

They're 'fireflies', and they don't turn into diamonds.

On demo screen #2 you will see butterflies, which DO turn into diamonds.

I haven't figured out the first cave yet. I thought dropping boulders on the square monsters turned them into diamonds, but that wasn't right. I'm stumped and I'll have to play with it more later.

If you need more info about how to play BD, you can find plenty in the web. The level is called Apocalypse.

I thought dropping boulders on the square monsters turned them into diamonds, but that wasn't right.

Same here.

The square got hit from above by a falling rock, but didn't turn into diamonds.

Perhaps some squares don't give any diamond bonus?

8)

They're 'fireflies', and they don't turn into diamonds.

On demo screen #2 you will see butterflies, which DO turn into diamonds.

Understood.

I remember now.

8)

Why does it not work with harmony cart?

Boulder Dash® uses 16K of RAM, but the Harmony cartridge only has 4K of RAM.

Boulder Dash® should work with the Krokodile cartridge.

Hi Andrew and Thomas

Could it work on my Cuttle cart2 for the Atari 7800?

Hope that the re will be carts soon....

greetings walter

If you need more info about how to play BD, you can find plenty in the web. The level is called Apocalypse.

Nope! Cave 2 is Apocalpyse. Cave 1 is "Funnel".

Cheers

A

This game is awesome.

I never played the original, but this game has a lot going for it.

I wonder why it never appeared on the sms,nes, snes or megadrive.

Things I like about it are.

1) You have to think ahead and form a strategy. If you run around blindly, you usually get squashed!.

2) When you are racing downwards and a boulder is above you falling, it really get your heart pumping.

3) It's has fast game play.

Great work guys!.

I have never purchased a homebrew, if this is affordable, this will be my first. :D

This game is awesome.

I never played the original, but this game has a lot going for it.

I wonder why it never appeared on the sms,nes, snes or megadrive.

There's a NES version. Opinions seem to be mixed about the updated graphics and new music, but it plays very well and I found both to be very well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4dI-8QEn-w

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1

I have never purchased a homebrew, if this is affordable, this will be my first. :D

So... how much is "affordable"?

Hard to say. My definition.

Affordable: Not so high that my wife screams at me.

At the end of the day, it's your call. I hope you can make some money while getting this into as many hands as possible.

As I said before, the demo is awesome.