IGNORED

Star Castle 2600 2011 at Video Game Summit

solidcorp

If anyone should pay something even close to those 32k, I will talk to Andrew. Maybe we will only release a single cart of BD then too. At an even higher price of course. Really!

And if that works, we will most likely see only single cart homebrew releases in the future. So no more homebrews for anyone but one!

Well I've got this 32 character text display routine that I wrote because the great Scott Williamson said it would be impossible, it's only a 4k rom and I've already released it, but I'll chuck it on a cartridge with a piezo buzzer and it's got to be worth at least a couple of grand no?

It's nice and I was pretty surprised and impressed when you pulled that off. I wrestled with the timings for a long time, I should have let venetian blinds go earlier, I just prefer the way it looks on a CRT. I don't think I will say anything can't be done in this group again :).

As far as selling it, go for it. Either you'll have it forever and be "that guy" who asked too much and kept it to himself, or you'll get more money than you thought possible. As long as you are happy either way.

If anyone should pay something even close to those 32k, I will talk to Andrew. Maybe we will only release a single cart of BD then too. At an even higher price of course. Really!

And if that works, we will most likely see only single cart homebrew releases in the future. So no more homebrews for anyone but one!

Well I've got this 32 character text display routine that I wrote because the great Scott Williamson said it would be impossible, it's only a 4k rom and I've already released it, but I'll chuck it on a cartridge with a piezo buzzer and it's got to be worth at least a couple of grand no?

It's nice and I was pretty surprised and impressed when you pulled that off. I wrestled with the timings for a long time, I should have let venetian blinds go earlier, I just prefer the way it looks on a CRT. I don't think I will say anything can't be done in this group again :).

As far as selling it, go for it. Either you'll have it forever and be "that guy" who asked too much and kept it to himself, or you'll get more money than you thought possible. As long as you are happy either way.

Thanks for the kind words - it does use venetian blinds :P

Nah I wouldn't sell it, but I respect your position on Star Castle - I just think you may as well have left it as not for sale, as set such a price as you did. But at any length at least it generated a fun thread if nothing else.....

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words - it does use venetian blinds :P

GTFO!!!

Seriously, I didn't go back and review the code or anything, but I did see the screenshots.

Extremely nice. Someone should really make a text adventure or something with all the big carts available. ;)

Edited by solidcorp

From Howards DP Press interview:

We used a VAX system to compile/assemble, and then downloaded the code to an emulator box for execution, patching, and debugging.

So he had emulator hardware, and could download and debug, which was great in the 70's/80's. I'm sure he could have done a lot more, or did what he did faster with all the features available in Stella debugging - source level, stepping through the rasterizer... It is a really wonderful tool and emulator.

I've heard those emulators had several timing discrepancies, so EPROM burning was still required from time to time. The VAX was being shared among several developers too, so assembling/downloading code took a while.

So no more homebrews for anyone but one!
If that is the creator's preference...so be it. The public, on the other hand, reserves the right to ignore his contribution and achievement (including this one) ;)

So it would be a loooong battle if he wishes to make a name for himself in the homebrew community :P

Leaving it up to the purchaser of the sole cartridge whether the binary is released in the future (although understandable, I guess) is problematic, tho. What if there is a previously-unknown glitch? This can have less odds of showing up due to such limited exposure. What guarantee would the purchaser have against the programmer starting a production run anyway? And on the subject of intellectual property...who does it then belong to? The sole purchaser? The programmer then has no right to the code that he wrote?

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 3

Leaving it up to the purchaser of the sole cartridge whether the binary is released in the future (although understandable, I guess) is problematic, tho. What if there is a previously-unknown glitch? This can have less odds of showing up due to such limited exposure. What guarantee would the purchaser have against the programmer starting a production run anyway?

If someone ever comes forward and would like to buy it, I hope they would like to release the source and binaries immediately, and if so I would comply without hesitation. If not, I don't know that I would forever relinquish whatever right I may have to release it, but probably for some period of months or years. Whatever agreement we may come to, I'd be willing to put it into writing.

Personally, I think the real collectors value, whatever it is, is in that first cartridge, the rest of material, while not valueless, once downloadable becomes common without taking away from the value of the item purchased. It is a first and only one of a kind item; regardless of what you or I think its value is, that is indisputable.

Note: I said

they can tell me if they think I should make another physical cartridge ... or if I should release the source and playable binaries

I never said it was black and white or that I was bound to their word either way, as you point out, it's problematic.

I will say clearly now, if someone ever buys it at that price and wishes to release it, I promise I will.

Edited by solidcorp

Personally, I think the real collectors value, whatever it is, is in that first cartridge, the rest of material, while not valueless, once downloadable becomes common without taking away from the value of the item purchased. It is a first and only one of a kind item; regardless of what you or I think its value is, that is indisputable.

Okay, that is starting to sound like classic homerwannabee ramblings. Sorry :P

• Like 6

Okay, that is starting to sound like classic homerwannabee ramblings. Sorry :P

I thought he sounded more like Gorf.

Edited by keilbaca
  • Like 3

I can't find the Gorf conversation(s) in the Jaguar area - can someone post a link?

He's been banned and all posts deleted. I don't know the entire story... maybe someone else can fill it in. No one may, I am not entirely sure how the mods feel about talking about him.

Edited by keilbaca

I can't find the Gorf conversation(s) in the Jaguar area - can someone post a link?

He's been banned and all posts deleted. I don't know the entire story... maybe someone else can fill it in. No one may, I am not entirely sure how the mods feel about talking about him.

Oh yea, now I remember asking last year and couldn't find it.

Thanks, I was just curious, it keeps coming up.

I wondered the same thing, and got my answer here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/156061-latest-warbirdsworking-title-snap-shots/page__st__75

See responses beyond post 83.

I should have been clearer... I'm speaking of driving vertically, but to the right (or left) of the rings, so you can go continuously, without bouncing off the rings. Of course to fire on the rings you need to rotate, fire, "un-rotate", but that's true regardless of whether you're driving straight up or on an angle. Now I wish there was a machine I could find locally, or I had a proper controller for MAME (not that I'd use MAME, of course, because that would be illegal and all that ;) ).

That won't work because you'll run right into the sparks once you've wrapped the screen.

The method in the video "stretches the playfield."

I will say clearly now, if someone ever buys it at that price and wishes to release it, I promise I will.

And if they don't want the binary released you would sell your one and only cartridge for $32,000 and not even end up with a copy of your own game to play?

And if they don't want the binary released you would sell your one and only cartridge for $32,000 and not even end up with a copy of your own game to play?

It is $32,768, to be exact, $(2^15), $(1<<15), or $32k, but that's besides your point.

That is a very interesting question, I don't know if I would do that. It's really hard. I know it's a lot of money, but... you know, I really don't want to give it up forever. I honestly don't know. I know that figure is really high, but this is why it's there, it's right at the threshold of where I'd give it up, but I really don't know. I don't know if I would even sell whatever rights I have to control the product for that amount... if someone wanted to buy it to put into production for example (I know the economics don't add up, the question is academic).

I clearly couldn't tell my wife I passed it up though.

If I ever finish Ballblazer, maybe we could just trade and then both release our sources and binairies to the public? :D

hehehe, I loved Ballblazer too (along with Boulderdash) - It took a while staring but I thought that's what your profile pic was.

:D

It is $32,768, to be exact, $(2^15), $(1

That is a very interesting question, I don't know if I would do that. It's really hard. I know it's a lot of money, but... you know, I really don't want to give it up forever. I honestly don't know. I know that figure is really high, but this is why it's there, it's right at the threshold of where I'd give it up, but I really don't know. I don't know if I would even sell whatever rights I have to control the product for that amount... if someone wanted to buy it to put into production for example (I know the economics don't add up, the question is academic).

I clearly couldn't tell my wife I passed it up though.

Bah, no box, no glory! :P