it dosnt compile

D:\LYNX\sound\chipper (beta)\lynxtc>lyxass handymusic.asm

HandyMusic PCM IRQ Address: $3277

Sound Engine IRQ Address: $3644

HandyMusic Memory left: $3F60

handymusic.asm: 721:ERROR:

Unsolved labels !

whats going wrong?

Let the chipper compile it, it knows what to do.

This is done if you click on "export tc" or "export bll", the tracks are then exported for the selected driver, compiled and an image is build.

Matashen: I checked it with Windows, with wine and from linux command line, all run fine. Please try again from the latest archive, and do not update the files in the current directory, but create a new one. Check that no environment varaible is set which would lead to either lyxass executed from elsewhere on your system or includfiles not loaded from lyxntc but from you include directory.

• 2 months later...

some news:

I ported the player routine to c (well inline assembler, but hell, who cares). Only newcc65 is supported now _and_ a few bugfixes had to be done to ra65. did nobody noticed or cared that in this thing the macro processing and localy symbols were f***ed up?

• 1 month later...

Driver version 1.3 is now available here.

The changes are as follows:
*Short note mode added for music scripts.
*As requested by Sage: channel timers are only disabled for changes, making the waveforms much cleaner.
*Better channel redirection setup, giving more time for running your game. There's also much more free memory to add extra features to HandyMusic later.

As usual, all music and sound effects made for the old versions are completely compatible.

The next version will include a SPL style sound compiler, HMCC. So at that point it will be a complete replacement for Epyx's HSPL libraries.
Enjoy!

Edited by TailChao

Driver version 1.3 is now available here.

The changes are as follows:

*Short note mode added for music scripts.

*As requested by Sage: channel timers are only disabled for changes, making the waveforms much cleaner.

*Better channel redirection setup, giving more time for running your game. There's also much more free memory to add extra features to HandyMusic later.

As usual, all music and sound effects made for the old versions are completely compatible.

good work.

... and after the usual change it is already working as driver for chipper exports.

-> will be included in the next update.

Wow. This is really a complete sound programming language. I have to try it out.

It will be a little nicer to use in the next release when HMCC is done, since then you can do straight notes instead of frequencies like:

using triangle_powpow ; specify instrument used for the following
   as4 40 ; note on for triangle powpow instrument, a-sharp in 4th octave, wait 40/60ths of a second
   rest 20 ; note off + rest for 20/60ths of a second

But of course, things can always be exported from Sage's tracker.

I liked working with HSPL when I was finishing up Zaku, but the driver was so heavy on both memory and CPU. There was also no stereo support out of the box and you could not use integrate mode on instruments, only SFX. It was also very easy to get the driver to mess up and change the music waveforms with those of a recently played SFX.

So this driver was designed to replace HSPL completely in my current project. Also be a little more friendly to use from the game side, and not require an Amiga.

Update! Find it at the usual place ;)

Thanks very much! The tracker support is always appreciated :)

• 7 months later...

I will definitely check this out when Tiny Lynx Adventure becomes less tiny.

I haven't done music before other than getting abcmusic compiled and trying the Austin Powers demo music.

One question though: is the HandyMusic driver enough to play the music and sound effects or is sage's tracker required?

Keep up this work.

• 2 weeks later...

I will definitely check this out when Tiny Lynx Adventure becomes less tiny.

I haven't done music before other than getting abcmusic compiled and trying the Austin Powers demo music.

One question though: is the HandyMusic driver enough to play the music and sound effects or is sage's tracker required?

Keep in mind this was all made for the old BLL-Assembly environment. If you're using CC65 I have no idea how easy or difficult it may be to talk to the driver.

But as Sage said, the driver can work by itself. It just needs supplied music and SFX data which can both be generated using HMCC and SASS. SFX are very easy to make, and HMCC will even generate an equates file with useful constants regarding all your noises.

I would still recommend trying music in Chipper first. Sage made a very good tool.

Keep up this work.

At this point with HMCC, the suite has all I need for my current game. So things may be slow or just bugfixes for awhile.

But a MIDI->SASS converter is a strong possibility.

• 3 weeks later...