IGNORED

HandyMusic

TailChao

What I mean is that the current "BLL TC export" requires manipulations to be used in cc65 (karri's).

Using the hmcc script format will easily allow to independently use both BLL and cc65 without manipulation, hmcc will do the work.

And it could add a compatibility layer if TailChao updates HandyMusic's data format.

I do agree with obschan in that this will provide a loose coupling between two platforms. We have two of them and proponents on both sides. Either one is good I guess. I have started down the path of CC65, but BLL would have been possible. Now I am at a point where I have chosen to (help) port a library to CC65, instead of adopting my current work to BLL for "only" the music engine. But, I feel that cross-platform portability can be a good thing. The suggestion of obschan will help in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, forgive me if this is a stupid question...

I've got Karris example music working in Alien, and I think he used HandyMusic to generate the music - I could be wrong. I've been looking at HandyMusic for the first time just now, is there a 'front end' GUI or something for this (like chipper or other mod tools) or is it all script driven?

Karri might be the better person to answer this, but I suspect it might not be HandyMusic. First, there's abcmusic that was pretty common in CC65, and HandyMusic still is BLL based (but conversion to CC65 is being worked on). I think Karri does mainly CC65, not BLL.

For HandyMusic you need to create the music script and script the instruments and SFX in HMCC. I haven't seen a tool for that from TailChao.

Sage has an export functionality that will output from his Chipper tool to HandyMusic BLL-style. I believe it is a binary format. obschan suggested to use the sound script as output, so it could be used from either HandyMusic version (BLL and forthcoming CC65). sage reacted that this was not the way to decouple things. Not sure whether he changed his mind on that and build that feature. Bottom line: no GUI for Handymusic except Chipper, but that leads to the BLL road, and is therefore unusable for you.

Hope this helps a little.

What I mean is that the current "BLL TC export" requires manipulations to be used in cc65 (karri's).

a) better say: karris cvs (which is offline anyway) is needed for compiling the player code.

a2) as there is no official version, there is no way to release a new official version.

a3) you can use the code and binary from my site

c) call it "bugfixes" for macro handling

d) the binary song is identical for all (newcc65 cc65 and lyxass).

e) but if you want to link it with the newcc65 or cc65 linker, you need to compile it with the appropritae assmbler, which have different syntax :-(

Using the hmcc script format will easily allow to independently use both BLL and cc65 without manipulation, hmcc will do the work.

And it could add a compatibility layer if TailChao updates HandyMusic's data format.

no idea why you think that.

• 2 months later...

I've made a simple Standard MIDI to SASS Script converter, it's available here.
Note that it won't do all of the work for you, it just generates note on / rests. So all pitch bends and stereo effects have to be added in manually. Instruments still need to be created, too.

While working on this I did a few conversions for fun:

There is also a new HandyMusic package available here, 1.40c+. No changes to the driver, just some small bugfixes in HMCC.
Enjoy. Edited by TailChao

Tailchao, I would really like to see an "official" version for the Cc65. Obschan has done a partial port for it and used it to play samples in Luchenstein. But, there are some tricky parts in that and the rest that I feel uncomfortable with to port myself. Should you need any help getting the cc65 and related compilers set up, I'd be more than willing to help out. Just let me know if you are interested in doing the conversion.

Right now there is chipper. Would it be possible to write extended libraries on top of that to get ABC music working and perhaps HandyMusic as well. Or should HandyMusic be a separate library?

In a way I would like to build a good base set that could be extended to get more features.

Tailchao, I would really like to see an "official" version for the Cc65. Obschan has done a partial port for it and used it to play samples in Luchenstein. But, there are some tricky parts in that and the rest that I feel uncomfortable with to port myself. Should you need any help getting the cc65 and related compilers set up, I'd be more than willing to help out. Just let me know if you are interested in doing the conversion.

I would not mind doing this, but be aware that it will take some time before I can start work on it. Probably best to stay with the partial port for the next few months.

Right now there is chipper. Would it be possible to write extended libraries on top of that to get ABC music working and perhaps HandyMusic as well. Or should HandyMusic be a separate library?

In a way I would like to build a good base set that could be extended to get more features.

All three drivers work quite differently, so I'm sure if a common base is feasible.

Maybe it is fine just to have three libraries to choose from based upon need. ABC Music is good for introductory work, Chipper is small / fast for demos, and HandyMusic is designed for large game use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...