IGNORED

FAT32 XEX loader

candle

On the MyIDE ][ his Fat32 loader indeed does not work. It has something to do with the CF card not enabled on bootup stage.

If you want to make this compatible with MyIDE ][ you need some technical information about MyIDE ][ I guess.

Anyway, it works great on MyIDE I. Although the absence of a RTC makes that the line with the timer does do weird things.

I'm still testing things and games out, but everything works great so far.

On the MyIDE ][ his Fat32 loader indeed does not work. It has something to do with the CF card not enabled on bootup stage.

If you want to make this compatible with MyIDE ][ you need some technical information about MyIDE ][ I guess.

I have all the info pertaining to card unlocking (having implemented same in MYIDE2.SYS) - so if Candle decides to go for it, no problem. :)

It runs definately an amazing lot of titles. Great. The only title (so far) that does not run is my own created .XEX from the Cart Version of David's Midnight Magic; but that one has a memlo of $0800 so that can not run.

It only works on emulator or from a bootdisk, I haven't found a working file loader so far able to boot this. Except for the FAT32 loader from MyIDE ][ but that isn't a fair comparison, since that one first loads the complete file into SRAM and then it does some examination on the file.

If you are interested in that DAVIDMM.XEX let me know.

It runs definately an amazing lot of titles. Great. The only title (so far) that does not run is my own created .XEX from the Cart Version of David's Midnight Magic; but that one has a memlo of $0800 so that can not run.

It only works on emulator or from a bootdisk, I haven't found a working file loader so far able to boot this. Except for the FAT32 loader from MyIDE ][ but that isn't a fair comparison, since that one first loads the complete file into SRAM and then it does some examination on the file.

If you are interested in that DAVIDMM.XEX let me know.

hmmm,

two more ideas:

1) if the file is smaller than 32kbytes, one could use "Super-Copy" to relocate it to $1F00-xxxx and RUN adress 1F3F. Most PCS pinballs are just 30kbytes / 242 sectors in size, however the DMM cart version could be somewhat bigger/longer...

2) if the file size is bigger than 32kbytes, one could use "Super Packer" (PC version by TeBe) to pack it and move to a different memory location...

Just send me a copy and I will try to examine your file version of DMM... -Andreas Koch.

• Like 1

here it is...

and in another topic ( this one: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/207712-how-to-make-your-own-bootdisk/page__hl__+own%20+boot#entry2679080 ) I posted the ATR I created with a self written loader. In that topic a lot of interesting replies btw about creating this kind of stuff.

I was not able to make a working .xex ... It was a bit too complicated (all those PC relatedntools people advised... I'm not a PC/MAC man... so if someone else can create a working .XEX I would be happy)

Thanks for all the support people!

Hi Candle,

Just found a 32MB CF card, which appears to work... this one is format FAT16

But: on some directories I do not see all entries, but after a few files I see garbage and then nothing.

Some directories are full of garbage.

The only thing I could think of: is there a limitation on file-name-length on FAT16 which does not exist on FAT32?

The files that are listed right, appears to run fine.

The garbage-filenames do not load (it's not just the filename that is wrong abviously)

The card is ok, the data is not corrupt.

Firstly Candle, thanks for all the work you do to support the Atari 8bit community.

I seem to be having a problem with the new version of FAT32 Loader (internal MyIDE version).

The following games do not load with their symptoms. All of these same games load fine from the very same CF card with your first version of FAT32 Loader (the one that does not sort the file names).

Electrician - blue screen with a flickering block cursor

Crossbow (Fandal), Commando, Commando+ - all freeze when prompted to press a key.

Henry's House - scrambled video display

Marbles (Compute!) - black screen

All the other games I've tried load fine.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

electrician - tested 7 version i have, all of them loads

henry's house - 4 version tested, all load

crossbow - tested 2 version, all load and run

commando+ - loads and runs

commando - garbage on the screen (have this as commando v3)

marbles - don't have it, sorry

Hmm,

I don`t think its the case, but anyways. MS-DOS 6.22 uses FAT16, only 8.3 filenames are allowed and it has a 1024 files limit per Directory. Maybe the same is true for a 32MB CF card... If so, use 8.3 filenames only and less than 1024 A8 files per directory. ;-)

-Andreas Koch.

Marius, make a dump using usb image tool and make it available for download

Steven, please post xex files here

All files were obtained from Kheffington's disk set (see below). Kheffington also provided a convient ZIP of the entire file tree.

link

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/187482-4-atari-16mb-hard-disk-images-completed/page__hl__%20kheffington%20%20disk%20%20set

fixed fat16 directory issues

This release solved my problems as well! All the games that I mentioned having troubles with are now loading and running.

Thanks!

-SteveS

p.s. The info line and the scrolling instructions are working perfectly on my NTSC 800XL.

Edited by a8isa1