IGNORED

Opinion of Vectrex.

ATARI7800fan

Can't really compare a Vectrex to a Neo*Geo, but yeah - it's a kick ass system. I'd rather have a Neo*Geo cart system vs. their forever loading CD system though.

And yes, Vectrex has multi-carts as well as flash carts that use an SD card. Some multi-carts have an on-screen menu to select games from, others have a row of dip switches you need to putz around with (like mine). Dremmeled out a spot for them though in an old Intellivision shell. Drilled a couple of holes through the circuit board for the screw holes of the cart as well. Looks, works and fits perfect. Cut a hair clip in half and use the soft end to flip the switches too.

Vectrex = mini arcade gaming goodness. What's not to love? :love:

The Vectrex is an amazing system. Most of the games are good with a few that are outright awesome, including the built-in game Mine Storm. The controllers are great, much better than anything else from their time. It is by far one of my all-time favorite systems.

The homebrew scene is reason enough, protector/YASI is a MUST have. heres a link to john dondzillas page, and the guy who made Vectrexians

http://www.classicgamecreations.com/ordering.html

http://www.kristofsnewvectrexgames.comli.com/index.htm

john sells homebrew carts so cheap its a crime not to buy a few at a time!

hope these links help any other vectrex owners :D

I have a pretty wide collection, and find myself most consistently playing Vectrex. One of the best things about the system is that all of the intellectual property (aside from a few homebrews) is public domain, and has been since 1994, when Jay Smith of GCE made it public domain. This was the first system do free itself of copywrite issues, and because of that has one of the most knowledgeable, active communities. Check out these websites for lots of cool Vectrex stuff:

http://www.playvectrex.com/

http://www.vectrex.nl/

http://www.revival-studios.com/

• Like 1

I've got one and recently bought a multi-cart and a hacked SNES controller to use as a controller. it is a lot of fun but as previously stated, expensive to collect for. the controllers are really hard to come by. my original vec controller was busted so hence the snes adaption.

if you find one with a controller for under $75, GRAB it. most likely though it will be $100 and extra controllers start at $50 on up.

the system is a LOT of fun and a great conversation piece if you display it in your home.

Thanks for all the reply's so far. Does not sound cheaper then a Neo Geo CD. Then again it does sound like a blast to own.

I don' think you can compare it to neo geo or other newer systems. the vectrex takes you back to the old days of monochrome "vector" arcade machines like asteroids. it is truly a gem in the home game console realm but the games & game play are not like any other system

In my honest, unbiased opinion...

In the beginning was the dot. And it was without form and void().

And the Lord God said, "Let there be Vectors."

And it was good..

But man said, "Oh Lord, we have to walk to the arcades to enjoy these vectors from heaven."

And the Lord God looked down upon man and said, "As you wish."

He outstretched his arm and gave to man, the greatest gift ever.

The VECTREX!!!!

(Angels heard in the background)

And all was good, until Satan showed up and said "Hey, have you seen this Joypad? God doesn't want you to have it."

But that's another story..

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

In my honest, unbiased opinion...

In the beginning was the dot. And it was without form and void().

And the Lord God said, "Let there be Vectors."

And it was good..

But man said, "Oh Lord, we have to walk to the arcades to enjoy these vectors from heaven."

And the Lord God looked down upon man and said, "As you wish."

He outstretched his arm and gave to man, the greatest gift ever.

The VECTREX!!!!

(Angels heard in the background)

And all was good, until Satan showed up and said "Hey, have you seen this Joypad? God doesn't want you to have it."

But that's another story..

desiv

high-larious!

Not sure if this has been asked before but I have recently been looking into the Vectrex and was wondering what people thought of the system. Is it a system worth buying over others like a American Neo Geo CD system for example.

It is worth buying for two reasons, I think. First, and primarily, it's the best (yes, and only) vector graphics system for the home. That means it can do something that no other home system can do (draw straight lines in any direction) but that also means that you're saddled with one tiny screen. That is b&w. But so what, it's fantastic! And it has some great arcade ports that, with the overlays, are as close as you can get without having the

in your house. Second, for the vector enthusiast, it can double as the monitor for a portable vector arcade game emulator if you have a ZVG board. Now that I have finally acquired one of those boards I plan on one day making just such a chimera.

Not sure if this has been asked before but I have recently been looking into the Vectrex and was wondering what people thought of the system. Is it a system worth buying over others like a American Neo Geo CD system for example.

It also comes down to what kind of games you enjoy. The Vetrex has a old school arcade simplicity that you just can't get any other way.

I love mine so much I have a spare (plus it's nice to have two controllers!)

Well, let me just say that I've just purchased one, and have had it for less than a week. (Just bought one from AA member stjames88, and it is a beautiful unit.) How amazing! The Vectrex is so different than anything else out there, and it really feels like a miniature arcade machine for your tabletop. The overlays are used cleverly, and the games are enjoyable. I'm looking forward to digging into the Vectrex homebrew scene and more of what the platform has to offer.

I'm looking forward to digging into the Vectrex homebrew scene and more of what the platform has to offer.

There are some incredible homebrews..

Protector comes to mind... It's a brilliant defender clone..

desiv

p.s. Love my VecFlash too.. ;-)

I can't wait for Warrior, the old arcade game that Fury Unlimited is making. I still need to break out my Vectrex to play War Of The Worlds. What's next, Red Baron?

What, what, what?!? How in the heck could I miss a release such as War of the Worlds?!?

Getting my payment out post haste. Thanks for sharing ledzep!!