IGNORED

Moon Cresta 7800

PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

This started out as a 'secret' project of mine, and I wasn't going to say anything until it was completed, but I may need some help.

The only thing I seem to be stuck on is enemy movement.

I went wild searching Google for a disassembly, source code, or anyone with information about the tables of movement for the enemies but I couldn't come up with anything. I am assuming the arcade game uses tables to read the enemy x movement, y movement and direction, and number of frames. I didn't want to re-invent the wheel by going frame by frame and writing them all down (plus that would take forever), plus it looks like there are three or four possible paths for the enemies to take, depending if they are entering, circling, attacking, etc...

All of the graphics are done (but you can't see them just yet, because I have no movement tables), the ship multi-part, and the stage handling. The sound will be simple, as will be the collision detection. So I think once I get the enemy movement down, the rest of the game should fall into place.

Does anyone have any insight as to how the arcade version does movement? Or (assuming they do use tables which I believe they do), know how to read the tables from the arcade version? In the meantime, I will try and capture the movement.

Thanks, guys

Bob

post-1787-0-39375700-1311723264_thumb.png

post-1787-0-99620000-1311723263_thumb.png

post-1787-0-75231400-1311723264_thumb.png

MoonCresta.A78

• Like 11

I was just over Bob's house and it turns out Bob has a whole family of elves working on 7800 programs night and day. They work in shifts. Bob pays them with room and board plus free broken toys that they like to fix in their free time. THey basicly work on the off-season before Christmas comes around. That's why if you look back through the years Bob seems to put out less games from October through December 25. Then he picks up very shortly after the New Year. So don't let Bob fool you into thinking he does these all by himself.

And very nice game. Looking forward to seeing it progress. As usual your awesome Bob. :thumbsup:

Allan

I was just over Bob's house and it turns out Bob has a whole family of elves working on 7800 programs night and day. They work in shifts. Bob pays them with room and board plus free broken toys that they like to fix in their free time. THey basicly work on the off-season before Christmas comes around. That's why if you look back through the years Bob seems to put out less games from October through December 25. Then he picks up very shortly after the New Year. So don't let Bob fool you into thinking he does these all by himself.

And very nice game. Looking forward to seeing it progress. As usual your awesome Bob. :thumbsup:

Allan

I believe it. I had programmed in C and C++, Visual C++, Visual Basic, but it took me 3-4 weeks of reading about the 6502 and the 7800 in particular to make a single dot appear on the screen. I'm not a professional programmer though.

Very nice work btw. PacManPlus should start his own company. I'll invest $1000 - more when I get my first paycheck for my first "real" job.

Don't remember this arcade game. Maybe I do, not at the moment. Doesn't matter, I know if Bob makes it, I'm buying it. Thanks Bob - god damn you are pumping these babies out - this is great stuff. Please let me know when and if it will be available and thanks again.

thursday83

Hi Guys:

This started out as a 'secret' project of mine, and I wasn't going to say anything until it was completed, but I may need some help.

The only thing I seem to be stuck on is enemy movement.

I went wild searching Google for a disassembly, source code, or anyone with information about the tables of movement for the enemies (there seem to be quite a few)... I am assuming the arcade game uses tables to read the enemy x movement, y movement and direction, and number of frames. I didn't want to re-invent the wheel by going frame by frame and writing them all down (plus that would take forever), plus it looks like there are three or four possible paths for the enemies to take, depending if they are entering, circling, attacking, etc...

All of the graphics are done (but you can't see them just yet, because I have no movement tables), the ship multi-part, and the stage handling. The sound will be simple, as will be the collision detection. So I think once I get the enemy movement down, the rest of the game should fall into place.

Does anyone have any insight as to how the arcade version does movement? Or (assuming they do use tables which I believe they do), know how to read the tables from the arcade version? In the meantime, I will try and capture the movement.

Thanks, guys

Bob

post-1787-0-39375700-1311723264_thumb.png

post-1787-0-99620000-1311723263_thumb.png

post-1787-0-75231400-1311723264_thumb.png

Would Galaga be any help in the enemy movements, after they formed on the screen and then started their attack?

Damnit, now I have to seriously look at a flash cart if this doesn't come out in a homebrew cart.

I'm starting to think that Bob might have stockpiled Cuttle Cart 2's before they went out of production, and all these great games he's sharing with us are an awesome means to drive up their price! :D