IGNORED

Moon Cresta 7800

PacManPlus

Oooh. Satan's Hollow would be a good one. How about a perfect clone of Galaxian? That one has never been done well on ANY console or computer. Love the sound effects on that one. i really takes me back.

then there is star castle...

Satan's Hollow would be a better choice. I'd be surprised if audio can be perfect for Galaxian on the 7800. ColecoVision has the best port of Galaxian.

Star Castle needs four buttons to play which is why the Vectrex version works. A joystick with two buttons doesn't work for Star Castle.

Well, I was thinking XM for Galaxian sound, but Moon Cresta sounds 100% accurate If I recall correctly. Ihat game just totally rocks on the 7800. My CV Galaxian cart does not work. A real bummer.

Star castle only needs one button. it uses Asteroids type controls, so: Left, Right, Thrust (Up), Hyperspace (Down), and Fire. Are you thinking about that Bally game "Space Dungeon"?

Edited by Zonie

Star castle only needs one button. it uses Asteroids type controls, so: Left, Right, Thrust (Up), Hyperspace (Down), and Fire. Are you thinking about that Bally game "Space Dungeon"?

If the game is ported accurately, once you hit around the 15K mark it will be nearly impossible to control the ship properly to even have a chance at breaking 20K.

I think Bob did a great job making it like the arcade. I hate playing the game as much as I did playing the arcade. On easy, I can barely get past the 1st docking. I die pretty quickly afterwards. It sucked my quarters fairly quickly back in the day. Bob could only capture that feel more like the arcade by adding a coin slot.

Edited by Almost Rice

If the game is ported accurately, once you hit around the 15K mark it will be nearly impossible to control the ship properly to even have a chance at breaking 20K.

Then I'll use my vintage asteroids controller. :P

Edited by Zonie

I think Bob did a great job making it like the arcade. I hate playing the game as much as I did playing the arcade. On easy, I can barely get past the 1st docking. I die pretty quickly afterwards. It sucked my quarters fairly quickly back in the day. Bob could only capture that feel more like the arcade by adding a coin slot.

Well, if you bought the game, then he did actually successfully suck about 100 quarters out of your pocket, even without the coinslot. :D

Just finished testing Moon Cresta on the 7800 XM ----

All I can say:

INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Game really brought back a major rush of memories, this is such a great game and its playing perfect on the XM, High Score keeping it working perfectly!!!

Bob is incredible!

Curt

Just finished testing Moon Cresta on the 7800 XM ----

All I can say:

INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Game really brought back a major rush of memories, this is such a great game and its playing perfect on the XM, High Score keeping it working perfectly!!!

Bob is incredible!

Curt

You guys are all incredible.

I wish I had the time to do this shit myself!

Hi Guys - we have a problem... :(

Someone found a bug.

It happens at the 7th level (so that's why nobody found it until then - it's very difficult to get to that level)

It has to do with how far down below the player's ship the aliens are allowed to go before they re-spawn. I made an error in the calculation that allows that amount to 'roll over' back to zero and when that happens the aliens are *always* below that level and continuously re-spawn.

If anyone who bought this cart from me wants me to erase it and update the game, send the cart back to me and I will do so.

I apologize for this. Attached is the updated bin.

Bob

*EDIT* - As of 11/15/2011 I made one more change (I figured if I had to fix it I might as well change one more thing that was bugging me) - The 'Hard' difficulty is now more difficult :twisted: but you won't notice it until you clear the first round of 10 waves of aliens.

MoonCresta.A78

MoonCresta.bin

MoonCrestaP.A78

MoonCrestaP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

I actually worked at Cinematronics during the Star Castles and RipOff production era. What a fun place to work at that time!! I'd love to see a Star Castles port. I'd be the first on the list to get that one!!

....back on track!!

Bob, where exactly is the 7th "level"? Do you mean the 7th wave of ships? I know the pattern eventually returns to the first wave again, but harder. From a FAQ:

/ 6.4  The Levels /____________________________________________________________
------------------

There are eight screens in Moon Cresta.  However, 3 of these screens are
duplicates of each other.  The way the screens and dockings happen are listed
below (all stages have 8 aliens in them):

1.  Purple Eye Screen
2.  Yellow Eye Screen
3.  Yellow Fly Screen
4.  Purple Fly Screen
4a.  Dock (only if you still have your "pea-shooter")
5.  Purple Bird Screen
6.  Yellow Bird Screen
6a.  Dock (this is to dock stages I and II or stage II on stage III)
7.  Fireball Screen (8 sets of two from the upper left and upper right corners
 that move diagonally)
8.  Arrow Screen

After the eighth screen, the screens start over again with your lowest stage
ship.

I got past the arrow screen where it returns to #1 again,and didn't notice any problems. I don't think??

Hi Guys:

Yes, the bug shows up on the 7th round of aliens (each 'round' has all 10 sets of aliens) in 'easy' mode - in 'normal' mode it shows up one round earlier.

This is what happens:

There is a space allowance off the bottom of the screen below the player's ship where the aliens are allowed to fly back up under the player. This starts out at 0 scan lines in easy mode (meaning as soon as they fly off the screen they re-appear in the center), and 8 scan lines in normal mode. This value increases by 8 every time a round is cleared. Now remember, the screen is 208 scan lines high, so that number gets added to 208 from the beginning. I think you might be able to see where I am going with this. During the game the aliens' vertical position is tested to see if they are greater than this value. Once we hit 256 (i.e. roll over to zero) the aliens' vertical positions are *always* greater than this value, and they keep respawning in the center of the screen. This makes it easy to sit and pick off aliens and the game loses all challenge.

Yes, it is very difficult to reach this (I have never been able to do it playing normally), and only one person was able to do it in 'easy' mode.

I actually feel kind of silly, because this is a 'newbe' mistake. (A byte overflow). Hence, the offer to re-burn the game for whoever wants to return it.

It is fixed in the above post by me.

Thanks, guys

Bob

:-o Now that sounds like a taunt! I'll have to set up the camera and stream it! :-D

Yep, this is the "roll the score" or "get the !!! marks" or "play to the kill screen" goal for 7800 Moon Cresta.

Bob, I had a semi-similar 'bug' in 5200 Koffi - if you play too far, the levels start coming up as hex codes. 8,9,10,A,B,C, ... but I bet nobody ever got to level $A. (except me).

Edited by Cafeman