IGNORED

The BBS is now online for TELNET access

Mad Hatter

Still not quite sure why this is happening. With some telnet clients (HyperTerminal, mTel, NetTerm) it isn't an issue and with others it is. Sometimes all that needs to be done is just to disable the local echo in your client (e.g. ALT-E with mTel) and that cures it.

I think it's actually UNset localecho which is what we're looking to do. Nevertheless, UNSET and SET localecho still have the same result for me (from this particular computer that is)... double characters are echoed with each keypress.

Same problem here with Win 7 or Ubuntu Linux. It works great however on the PCJr with the telnet client and a parallel network adapter :)

Still not quite sure why this is happening. With some telnet clients (HyperTerminal, mTel, NetTerm) it isn't an issue and with others it is. Sometimes all that needs to be done is just to disable the local echo in your client (e.g. ALT-E with mTel) and that cures it.

I think it's actually UNset localecho which is what we're looking to do. Nevertheless, UNSET and SET localecho still have the same result for me (from this particular computer that is)... double characters are echoed with each keypress.

Same problem here with Win 7 or Ubuntu Linux. It works great however on the PCJr with the telnet client and a parallel network adapter :)

First thing I tried. Still does not work... As long as I have alternative access it should be fine though :)

First thing I tried. Still does not work... As long as I have alternative access it should be fine though :)

Are there any pre-connection configuration settings to adjust? So long as the terminal program is negotiating with the UDS100 device, the echo shouldn't be a problem. When you say 'parallel network adapter' to what are you referring? :)

Are there any pre-connection configuration settings to adjust? So long as the terminal program is negotiating with the UDS100 device, the echo shouldn't be a problem. When you say 'parallel network adapter' to what are you referring? :)

I tried turning echo off without any effect. On my PCJr, I use an external network adapter on the parallel port and a TCP/IP suite of software written by Mike Brutman that gives the Jr the ability to connect to the internet and do telnet, ftp, IRC etc... Mike also wrote an ftp server program for it which is what I use to transfer programs to and from the internet. The Jr's telnet program works just fine without any tweaking when I connect to the Heatwave BBS or The Keep.

• 3 weeks later...

Walid give it a shot again from your Linux or Win7 client. I made a couple changes with the UDS and I'm curious how it affects those clients in regards to the echo'ing of characters.

I tried turning echo off without any effect. On my PCJr, I use an external network adapter on the parallel port and a TCP/IP suite of software written by Mike Brutman that gives the Jr the ability to connect to the internet and do telnet, ftp, IRC etc... Mike also wrote an ftp server program for it which is what I use to transfer programs to and from the internet. The Jr's telnet program works just fine without any tweaking when I connect to the Heatwave BBS or The Keep.

Hmm, not sure why you were having that issue with Murder Motel. I just checked on my end and it looks fine. I changed a setting in the UDS back to a previous one, so you shouldnt get the ,j' returns with each key-press now.

Also thanks for the words. Insane_Multitasker is currently working behind the scenes on some new software modifications, and has also developed a new online game doorway. When I get this installed there will be many more online games to choose from instead of just Murder Motel.

ahah really great ! it remember the good old day of my USR Sportster 14.4 ;)

I tryed the Murder Hotel games, but after the title screen, all texts are black.

Also, when i type any char, i have a strange echo : ",j'"

Really great job ;) i can't imagine behind this BBS could be a Geneve !

Edited by Mad Hatter

Hmm, not sure why you were having that issue with Murder Motel. I just checked on my end and it looks fine. I changed a setting in the UDS back to a previous one, so you shouldnt get the ,j' returns with each key-press now.

Also thanks for the words. Insane_Multitasker is currently working behind the scenes on some new software modifications, and has also developed a new online game doorway. When I get this installed there will be many more online games to choose from instead of just Murder Motel.

ahah really great ! it remember the good old day of my USR Sportster 14.4 ;)

I tryed the Murder Hotel games, but after the title screen, all texts are black.

Also, when i type any char, i have a strange echo : ",j'"

Really great job ;) i can't imagine behind this BBS could be a Geneve !

The software runs on the TI equally well but MH has really stepped things up with his creativity.

As for MM is your main BBS configuration set to use COLOR and 80 columns? If the same thing happens the next time you give it a whirl, I'll verify the updated code is forcing a fore/background color. The TI emulators primarily use the 40-column text mode which has only one fore/back ground combo, eg, no color ANSI. I've had to tweak a few things where programs much around with settings that should remain static. Tsk tsk.

PS - Back in '92 I created maps for the motel as a downloadable feature for SysOps. I recently incorporated them into the game as viewable screens and fixed a feq menuing quirks. ;) I need more spare time!!!!!

• 1 year later...