IGNORED

Season #2 Game #8 - Auto Racing

Nice time, wow! I would think short cuts should be legal -- the game requires that you hit the checkpoints in order, right? And these shortcuts are built into the game's map. So as long as you're not exploiting a bug that lets you skip checkpoints I think it should be fine.

I only found two shortcuts: one at the top of the course, right after the first checkpoint, where you can head straight rightward and skip a curve; and one at the bottom-right, just after the second checkpoint, which allows you to drive straight horizontally to the left through a bunch of turns and emerge just past the start -- though sometimes it was blocked (?). I've been using the first one, but the second one seems unreliable and a little excessive. What were the others you found?

Edited by thegoldenband

Those are the last 2 short cuts I found!

The other 3 are:

on the first curve ( the rounded one, not at the top where you found yours ) you can cut through just under the house and then turn left up to the 1st check point.

The next one I found is a nice savings. At the top, just after the check point, you can go through just north of the house.

In fact, using your top of the screen short cut, you could almost go straight though, but a bush blocks you at the check point.

With a quick wiggle, you can go right through. I still crash some of the time..LOL

The last one is not nearly as good as your bottom one, but still very good.... but hard to do.

On the down swing just past the second check point, you can do a HARD right just north of the house and cut through the next up road and then turn left on the last

down angled road headed to check point 1.

On the image attached:

Yellow... may be slower ( long cut! ) and it is hard to do.

RED is a game changer and it can be linked to GREEN easy enough ( crashed 1 out my 2 attempts )

BLUE saves some time, but it has SLOW grass involved and it is a hard turn.

BROWN at the bottom, again, a game changer. Easy to get through and make the turn north.

I have not had a chance to play again using Red, Green and Brown...... But I am thinking 2:45ish

As I wrote the top part, I was not sure it was understandable, so I drew the map with color coded lines.

Now I think they are to small, but I hope they are okay.

Now, I will have to look at the other courses!

I hope this doesn't spoil the game for others. But it was kind of cool to find these!

post-7434-0-66327000-1313198957_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great stuff, 1980gamer! The brown shortcut is very doable, but I'm having a hard time consistently pulling off red. We'll see.

I look forward to reading about the shortcuts you turn up in other races. This is exactly what's great about the HSC -- people figuring out things about these games, tricks and shortcuts and patterns and hidden elements, that haven't been published elsewhere or on the Internet. It helps bring these old and overlooked titles back to life.

Meanwhile, here's a modest improvement on my time for track #4 (which I still find very wearying). Current times are thus:

#1: 3:35

#2: 7:19

#3: 9:19

#4: 10:28

#5: 3:54

post-6067-0-70220600-1313207892_thumb.jpg