IGNORED

What 99/4A software supports 80 columns?

matthew180

Does anyone:

* Know what 99/4A software out there supports 80 columns? Either via the 80 column card or a PEB with Geneve card?

* Know if the software generally tests for the 9938, or does it just set the mode if the user requests it?

* Have an example of "typical" 99/4A code for setting 80 column mode?

* Know what 80 column features were typically used (like the palettes, inverse and blink, etc.)?

Does anyone:

* Know what 99/4A software out there supports 80 columns? Either via the 80 column card or a PEB with Geneve card?

* Know if the software generally tests for the 9938, or does it just set the mode if the user requests it?

* Know what 80 column features were typically used (like the palettes, inverse and blink, etc.)?

The ones I know of offhand that I've used:

Telco - switchable within software preferences

Term80 - native

Funnelweb - native 80 column version (I think)

No code examples, sorry...

Does anyone:

column features were typically used (like the palettes, inverse and blink, etc.)?

I dug up the V9938 test code from Barry Boone's SoundFX. This is very similar to the code I recently outlined in another thread. I take my tests a step further to ensure the data I read/write was not there to begin with, but it's probably not worth the extra effort. Anyway, here's the code.

FXH TEXT 'FX'
TSTIT DATA 0
H9938  DATA >9938

CK9938 BLWP @VMBWD
      DATA >0400,FXH,2
      LI   R0,>0E01
      BLWP @VWTR
      BLWP @VMBRD
      DATA >0400,TSTIT,2
      CLR  @VDPFLG
      C    @TSTIT,@FXH
      JEQ  ISTART
      SETO @VDPFLG
      A    @D96,@MEMSIZ

CHKEXT LI   R0,>118E
      BLWP @VWTR
      LI   R0,>2D40
      BLWP @VWTR
      MOVB @BYT0,@>8C06
      BLWP @VMBWD
      DATA >0500,H9938,2
      BLWP @VMBRD
      DATA >0500,TSTIT,2
      CLR  @EXPFLG
      LI   R0,>2D00
      BLWP @VWTR
      C    @TSTIT,@H9938
      JNE  NOEXTR
      SETO @EXPFLG
      A    @D64,@MEMSIZ
NOEXTR ABS  @GENFLG
      JEQ  ISTART
ISTART * continue with program
(extracted from Barry Boone's SoundFX source code

The most common feature used is blink mode. Used for blinking (cycle time set by vid register), solid highlight of text or marker bars, or highlighting an area of the screen for focus (ie menus). I use all three in a few of my own programs & updates to other programs.

Tim

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

The ones I know of offhand that I've used:

Telco - switchable within software preferences

Term80 - native

Funnelweb - native 80 column version (I think)

Do any of those use the palette support of the 80 column mode? Any screen shots? Can I run any of those on the 99/4A with only the PEB and 32K? Do any of those programs ensure you actually have a 9938 before setting 80 columns?

I dug up the V9938 test code from Barry Boone's SoundFX. This is very similar to the code I recently outlined in another thread. I take my tests a step further to ensure the data I read/write was not there to begin with, but it's probably not worth the extra effort. Anyway, here's the code.

Thanks for the example. Do you know if it is typical for software to test for the presence of the 9938 before trying to set the mode?

What I'm trying to do is determine if 80 column support in the F18A is worth the effort? It is not possible to make a 9938 work in the 9918A socket because the 9938 has an extra "mode" pin that gives it two access ports from the CPU. So, I can only do so much to support the 9938 modes, especially if software tests for the 9938 via features only accessible via that extra port.

I added support for the extra mode bit 4 and I can set 80 columns (see pictures). The MSX BASIC gives me full access to the VDP registers, as well as all the 9918A modes, so I typically use it for testing. However, the MSX BASIC also knows I don't have a 9938, so it won't let me issue the standard commands to set text2 (80 column.) However, I can just set the VDP register directly, however, MSX BASIC still thinks I only have 40 columns... It is exactly this kind of problem that might make the support not worth it.

Oh, and I can easily get 80x48 text too... But for what?

post-24952-0-92736600-1312513558_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-42063000-1312513563_thumb.jpg

post-24952-0-42239300-1312513568_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the example. Do you know if it is typical for software to test for the presence of the 9938 before trying to set the mode?

I suppose it all depends on the programmer and program intent. Some programs are written strictly for 80 columns with no regard for 40. Other programs test for their presence and set the mode and screen size accordingly. Others, like SoundFX, test for the presence of the 9938 not for 80 column mode but to figure how much VRAM is available for buffering data.

I always wanted to write a 80 column version of XB for the text editor in XB. And use the program XHI as a template for making a Graphics mode 3 is normal TI XB, Graphics mode 4 is normal Bit Mapped mode, and Graphics mode 7 for a the XB 80 when running programs.

The text mode could be one of two text modes for editing programs like normal XB but 80 columns.

But the biggest advantage is that we could give a mouse pointer to the TI, now if the max VDP RAM was used like the 9958 instead of the 9938 we could page in monstrous amounts of VDP RAM. Just a dream...

now if the max VDP RAM was used like the 9958 instead of the 9938 we could page in monstrous amounts of VDP RAM. Just a dream...

Elaborate please - what do you mean?

Ok, the 9958 has some added features dealing with memory use that the 9938 does not have. Added values to registers #25, #26, #27 for scrolling 1 dot at a time of the screen or 8 dots at a time or the number of dots specified.

The Lightpen and Coposite video have been removed from the 9958 for other features to be added. Page I 2 has these changes to VRESET, HSYNC, CSYNC, CPUCLK/VDS.

Expansion VRAM can be added and this is the biggest feature the 9958 has. 64k x 4b DRAM are usable is 256k and you can add more VRAM.

And the chip is still compatible with the 9918 and 9938 but has the added feature of being expanded in size.I like the idea most of adding a mouse and making it more like a PC instead of the joystick only presently.

Edited by RXB

What I'm trying to do is determine if 80 column support in the F18A is worth the effort? It is not possible to make a 9938 work in the 9918A socket because the 9938 has an extra "mode" pin that gives it two access ports from the CPU. <snip>

The TIM (TI Image Maker) is an 80 column upgrade device that plugs into the 9918 socket, although I believe it uses a 9958. I don't know if any extra connections are necessary with it or not, but perhaps someone who has one can elaborate on it's design.

Tony

Yea I had the TIM and had to install it myself. I am not a hardware guy but it was pretty easy, and spent more time to modify the console then actually installing the TIM. You had to solder one wire to the ground on the main board and run one wire to a trace point.

I used a electronics Tie Strap to go around the main board to fix the TIM in place as it was very touchy about being moved or bumped, the Tie Strap worked great.

I also made a plug for the 25 pin connector it had and used a small volume knob (variable resistor) to tune it for my RGB monitors for sync. It died from a bad chip on the board, sent it to OPA and never got it back. The card worked great and loved it.