IGNORED

[Release] Bell Hopper

Tjoppen

Neat, more box art :)

I already got some in a PM, and I think I prefer that design over this one. I'll leave deciding whether to post it in this thread up to that person.

In other news, I've started poking at an NTSC port. It requires some surgery since I haven't used fixed point values for the fall speed of the bells or the velocity of the bird. There's also a few cases where the logic in the blanking takes too long, which means I have to do some of it during overscan.

Neat, more box art :)

I already got some in a PM, and I think I prefer that design over this one. I'll leave deciding whether to post it in this thread up to that person.

OK, no problem. Just thought I'd give it a shot. :)

I didn't realize you already had art for this.

Thanks,

B

Fun game. It is quite addicting. I would definitely prefer if there was some sort of variation to the sound of the bells though since it can get a little annoying after a while of hearing that exact tone over and over.

a little variation in the speed that the bells fall would also be cool. As in if some fell faster/slower than others.

• 1 month later...

Two months overdue, but here's version 2 with brighter text, an NTSC port and source code: http://www.acc.umu.s..._by_tjoppen.zip

I haven't been able to test this on an NTSC machine to get the paddle sensitivity right, but it seems fine in Stella.

Updated binaries attached. Enjoy :)

I tried the NTSC one on my Sears Video System with Harmony. It works great! Awesome game!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the highest scoring game in Atari 2600 history. :)

It is like the national debt but lower. I'm determined to beat Tjoppen's high score. So far I'm at 8,87521745E17. :)

I've actually gotten quite a bit higher while developing and fine-tuning - somewhere around 1e30 - 1e40 :)

Regarding cartridges, that seems like a fair bit of work (box design, manual, not counting fabrication). However, I'm not opposed to this being part of a holiday cart as I saw someone suggest.

Finally, it's good to hear the NTSC port works fine. Hopefully I'll remember to make future projects more portable.

Definitely the highest scoring game in Atari 2600 history. :)

It is like the national debt but lower. I'm determined to beat Tjoppen's high score. So far I'm at 8,87521745E17. :)

I've actually gotten quite a bit higher while developing and fine-tuning - somewhere around 1e30 - 1e40 :)

Regarding cartridges, that seems like a fair bit of work (box design, manual, not counting fabrication). However, I'm not opposed to this being part of a holiday cart as I saw someone suggest.

Finally, it's good to hear the NTSC port works fine. Hopefully I'll remember to make future projects more portable.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :-D

Anyway, once or twice during a game it kind of "flashes". Does that happen on the PAL version too? If it helps I'm using a CRT.

Anyway, once or twice during a game it kind of "flashes". Does that happen on the PAL version too? If it helps I'm using a CRT.

I haven't encountered it on PAL since doing some major optimizations. I was hoping this wouldn't happen in the NTSC version since I moved half of the logic to overscan.

It's basically due to a perfect storm of circumstances leading to the logic in vblank just barely taking too long, which is rather hard to debug.

One minor idea I had for "fixing" this is to check for negative INTIM values, like:

WaitForVblankEnd
lda INTIM
#if !PAL
bmi WaitForVblankEnd_Overflow
#endif
bne WaitForVblankEnd
WaitForVblankEnd_Overflow

The attached binary does this for both INTIM loops in the NTSC version. Please try it out and see if the problem persists. It should at most manifest as a rare slight vertical offset to the screen instead of a massive "flash"..

Bell Hopper (NTSC INTIM hack).bin

• 2 weeks later...