IGNORED

Quick Genesis Power Base Converter question:

Rex Dart

you have to remove the convertor to play genesis carts

but the convertor is basically just an oversized cart. there are no cables, power adapters or anything to attach when you want to use it.

I bought the PBC I have specifically because it was just a cartridge, versus getting a whole Master System that I'd then have to find places to plug in the RF/AV and power connections in my rig. Yes, I have to remove it to play Genesis games, but that's a small price to pay versus storage and cable management.

Keep in mind that the PBC grounds a contact or two in order to invoke the Master System mode of the Genesis.

Is there any particular reason you'd rather leave the PBC in place?

Yeah, it looks totally bitchin'.

So you think it could maybe be done with either an external switch, or maybe a logic chip or two?

Yeah, it looks totally bitchin'.

So you think it could maybe be done with either an external switch, or maybe a logic chip or two?

very likely not. You'd wind up making most of the mods to the Genesis... and given the way that the PBC covers most of the system front to back when it's attached, there isn't a lot of places you can drop a second cart slot and a switch in that will look decent, AND be accessible. It would either be sticking out the right side on the top, sideways, or out one of the sides. And I don't know how many connections the PBC grounds out, or how many get joined up in the cart adaptation.

I just leave my PBC on, and pull it off when I intend to play a Genesis or SegaCD game. It hasn't been a big deal, and I usually drop the PBC back into the slot when I'm done just to store it.

You'd wind up making most of the mods to the Genesis... and given the way that the PBC covers most of the system front to back when it's attached, there isn't a lot of places you can drop a second cart slot and a switch in that will look decent, AND be accessible. It would either be sticking out the right side on the top, sideways, or out one of the sides. And I don't know how many connections the PBC grounds out, or how many get joined up in the cart adaptation.

Well, now that just sounds like a challenge.

An everdrive is your solution to not having to take anything out of your system to play genuine SMS and Genesis titles from one thing plugged in to your system. Worth every penny of the $70 - $90.

I've actually already ordered one, but who the hell knows when that might arrive? Not exactly genuine, though. But hey, wouldn't a big fat power base converter make a cool shell for an everdrive? I might look into that, too...

Edited by Rex Dart

You'd wind up making most of the mods to the Genesis... and given the way that the PBC covers most of the system front to back when it's attached, there isn't a lot of places you can drop a second cart slot and a switch in that will look decent, AND be accessible. It would either be sticking out the right side on the top, sideways, or out one of the sides. And I don't know how many connections the PBC grounds out, or how many get joined up in the cart adaptation.

Well, now that just sounds like a challenge.

An everdrive is your solution to not having to take anything out of your system to play genuine SMS and Genesis titles from one thing plugged in to your system. Worth every penny of the $70 - $90.

I've actually already ordered one, but who the hell knows when that might arrive? Not exactly genuine, though. But hey, wouldn't a big fat power base converter make a cool shell for an everdrive? I might look into that, too...

F* yeah, that would be awesome :D

AX

Please, stop thinking of hacking up a PBC to work with Genesis carts. It's simply not possible. For one thing the SMS cart slot has fewer pins than the Genesis slot AND it's also differently designed. Genesis carts sort of snap into the slot, whereas SMS carts can insert of varying degrees into the slot. Not to mention, as others have said here, the SMS grounds some of the Genesis cart slot connections to switch the machine into SMS mode. Just stop being a lazy ass and learn to remove the PBC when you want to play Genesis games, or buy a separate SMS console. Is it really so hard to do that?!

SMS cart slot has fewer pins than the Genesis slot AND it's also differently designed. Genesis carts sort of snap into the slot, whereas SMS carts can insert of varying degrees into the slot. Not to mention, as others have said here, the SMS grounds some of the Genesis cart slot connections to switch the machine into SMS mode.

So you're saying that if I replace the cart connector in the PBC (maybe with one from a busted Genesis) & put a switch on those connections that get grounded, I could pull this off with about the same effort as a homemade Neptune?

Cool!