IGNORED

That 70's show alienated the atari

Syntaxerror999

Watching syndicated reruns of that 70's show I can't help but notice the Atari never made an appearence. Both Pong and space invaders had entire episodes dedicated to them... but the Atari was completely forgotten. The shows timeline ran up to 79 (as indicated every season by the licence plate in the intro) so why was atari the red headed stepchild?

Is it maybe because Atari is more iconic to the 80's, even though it was made in the 70's? Licencing reasons to a company that bearly exsisted anymore? Crappy writers (seriously, that show lasted 3 seasons longer than it should have)... they did lose ther nastagic focus torwards the end, choosing to concentrate on their crappy drama plots.

My wife and I watch that on DVD all the time - I love the show, although I do agree it went downhill the last few seasons (like most sitcoms). The Pong episode was great, but I don't remember if the brand was ever actually shown. I think it's probably mostly that the 2600 really came to prominence and mainstream appeal in the early 80s.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

Too bad "That 80's show" didn't last.

Did you SEE that heap?

Yes... tragic cause they wasted the title on a POS instead of using it for a spinoff.

Oh I only meant that in the context of having a better chance to see an Atari on television. Yes I did see one of the episodes and it did in fact suck. Then again, I don't see the appeal of That 70's Show either...

Too bad "That 80's show" didn't last.

Did you SEE that heap?

Yes... tragic cause they wasted the title on a POS instead of using it for a spinoff.

Oh I only meant that in the context of having a better chance to see an Atari on television. Yes I did see one of the episodes and it did in fact suck. Then again, I don't see the appeal of That 70's Show either...

The main points the show had going for it was good writing, a nice 'retro' look to how things were back in the 70's, a decent cast (hell, Ashton Kutcher has defentily gone on to bigger and better things!) and two hot girls with Mila Kunis and Laura Prepon. :lust:

• Like 1

It never really occurred to me that the VCS only became popular and a huge hit when Space Invaders came out for it.I only heard of it late 1980.A kid at school said he was playing S.I. on his TV, I freaked out.He told me he had an Atari VCS, as it was called back then, and that you had to buy the game separate which plugged in on top of machine.The fact you can play S.I. on your own TV was the main deciding factor in me buying a VCS.Anyway, "That 70's Show" didn't really capture the true 70's spirit in many ways IMO, i didn't find it funny at ALL either.The 80's was more of the Classic gaming era as WE know it.Any 80's comedy, kids movie/show SHOULD at LEAST mention or show a CV, INTV, but DEFINITELY a 2600 to be believable to me.

• Like 1

Yeah, i would say the majority of Atari game and console buyers were parents/adults back in the early days.That was due to the fact of course, kids could not afford the very high prices since everything had to be bought new.Another way which was popular back then for me was selling or trading your games.I went to summer school where this one kid had a bunch of mint CIB games he grew tired of and sold them to me for like $10 each, which was a great deal back then.He would then go out and buy himself new games, that was the ideal way to do it.