IGNORED

TI Gameshelf games needed

Vorticon

Hi all.

I'm gearing up to updating the tigameshelf.net site after a very long hiatus, and unfortunately all the new games that various TIers had sent me for inclusion over the past several months have been irrevocably lost due to a catastrophic failure of my old desktop. I you have sent me any titles previously, or if you have anything new you would like to contribute, please send it to me via PM. I know Tursi had a recreation of a submarine hunt which name escapes me at the moment, Jon had sent me several games also, and I remember vaguely a couple more called Totally in the Dark and Quasimodo.

I'm looking at spending most of tomorrow working on reviewing games and uploading them to the site.

Thanks.

Could you please flag games that are known to have been released to public domain versus abandonware?

Oh boy... Trying to do that retroactively will be extremely time consuming, and tha's assuming I have that kind of information, which I don't in the majority of cases. The few authors that have contacted me in the past all were thrilled to find out that their games were still preserved and happy to have them posted. Tormanen comes to mind among others. I have so far never had a request to have a game withdrawn from the site, and I am super careful about not posting anything that is still being sold commercially, the stuff form Competition Computer not withstanding given that Kyle is apparently no longer paying royalties to the original authors and even selling software without authorization (Marc Hull can tell you more about this).

Got it. If - moving forward - you could add it, that would be nice. I understand that it would be hard to go back.

My classic gaming is really restricted these days.

-H

Could you please flag games that are known to have been released to public domain versus abandonware?

Oh boy... Trying to do that retroactively will be extremely time consuming, and tha's assuming I have that kind of information, which I don't in the majority of cases. The few authors that have contacted me in the past all were thrilled to find out that their games were still preserved and happy to have them posted. Tormanen comes to mind among others. I have so far never had a request to have a game withdrawn from the site, and I am super careful about not posting anything that is still being sold commercially, the stuff form Competition Computer not withstanding given that Kyle is apparently no longer paying royalties to the original authors and even selling software without authorization (Marc Hull can tell you more about this).

Some of these games are a gray area. I see some that are public domain, but clearly clones of commercially released games.

The labels of "Abandonware" versus "pd" are only a minor footnote at most. I would be like, "hey, this was released pd" for like a nanosecond, then download it anyway.

Yep, that's my problem. The titles don't matter to anyone (as they probably shouldn't) but they matter tremendously to me. I do not want to get into any debates about why they matter - they've been discussed extensively elsewhere, but... Gotta follow the letter of the law.

I can just not play the games - I've been doing that for a while now.

-H

Some of these games are a gray area. I see some that are public domain, but clearly clones of commercially released games.

The labels of "Abandonware" versus "pd" are only a minor footnote at most. I would be like, "hey, this was released pd" for like a nanosecond, then download it anyway.

Edited by unhuman

Yep, that's my problem. The titles don't matter to anyone (as they probably shouldn't) but they matter tremendously to me. I do not want to get into any debates about why they matter - they've been discussed extensively elsewhere, but... Gotta follow the letter of the law.

I can just not play the games - I've been doing that for a while now.

-H

Ah, c'mon just download & play them! It shouldn't matter tremendously to you. You only live once! Enjoy life!

You can add Aperture to the site. Happy to have it there!

APERTURE.zip

Adamantyr

Adam, I noted on level 6 that the blocks can get stuck suspended in midair. Also, the stairs sometime disappear. All these issues seem to arise when I have a block in a narrow pit or at the base of stairs and I land on top of it. Then I swap locations with the block which is now on top of my character, and if I jump or move up, the block gets stuck in midair and does not fall back down after I move from under it. If this happens at the base of stairs, then the stairs under the block disappear... This could be potentially be problematic in solving the level. However, since this happens only under very specific circumstances, it probably won't be an issue for most players, and so I want to know if you are OK with me posting the game as is or do you want to try and fix these issues first.

APERTURE.zip

Adamantyr

Adam, I noted on level 6 that the blocks can get stuck suspended in midair. Also, the stairs sometime disappear. All these issues seem to arise when I have a block in a narrow pit or at the base of stairs and I land on top of it. Then I swap locations with the block which is now on top of my character, and if I jump or move up, the block gets stuck in midair and does not fall back down after I move from under it. If this happens at the base of stairs, then the stairs under the block disappear... This could be potentially be problematic in solving the level. However, since this happens only under very specific circumstances, it probably won't be an issue for most players, and so I want to know if you are OK with me posting the game as is or do you want to try and fix these issues first.

Post it as is. I knew I missed a few edge cases where moving blocks around were concerned... I don't have the memory to make it perfect. Every level is solvable, so I'm cool.

Adamantyr

APERTURE.zip

Adamantyr

Post it as is. I knew I missed a few edge cases where moving blocks around were concerned... I don't have the memory to make it perfect. Every level is solvable, so I'm cool.

Adamantyr

Will do. I have to say you have really captured the spirit and mechanics of Portal. Well done indeed!