IGNORED

Trying to get Mac/65 working. Question.

Allan

I only have the OS-A+ / Mac-65 combo on real floppy so can't easily check right now.

How about DDT ? Is that on the disk?

It says DDT is one the cart. Is DDT the equivalent of BUG65? Maybe the book was written before they added DDT. I'll look at it again and see if I can get a program to run.

Allan

A bit fuzzy on this: as I recall, the disk/early version of Mac-65 had the debugger seperate from the ed/asm part. I can't remember if DDT was even part of the package of the disk version, but at the least the BUG65 program was.

As such, it's kinda limited in usefullness since you have to exit one to use the other, and obviously need to save/reload whatever you were working on.

If you can't find either, I'll see about digging my real drive out later and checking if I've got it.

On the disk version, BUG65 was a separate program. You had to exit MAC/65, go into DOS (or OS/A+ which is what came on the disk) and then go into BUG65. On the cartidge version, the debugger was DDT (Dunion's Debugging Tool) and you go into it from within MAC/65 by typing "DDT." There is a MAC/65 manual online somewhere. Try doing a google seach for "mac/65 manual." I think DDT was better than BUG65. There is also a standalone, more advanced version of DDT called EXDDT (also written by Dunion) which is more advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys.

I found the manual. I can load and save a program and assemble it. My problem now is I can't get the assembled program to run. I used this program from Antic mag which came from Atari Roots but when I try to run the compiled program with the BLOAD command from DOS 2.5, it just sites there.

Allan

You can also assemble your program to an object file and then binary load it in DOS to run it. To do this in MAC/65, you need to put .OPT OBJ at the top of your program listing (note - .OPT is preceded by a period). I usually put it on line 1. Then, use the command ASM ,,#D:OBJECT.OBJ. Note - 2 commas after ASM. This will compile the source code in memory into an object file called OBJECT.OBJ which you can then binary load, and I think it will just run. Don't forget to save your source file before you edit to DOS!

You can also assemble your program to an object file and then binary load it in DOS to run it. To do this in MAC/65, you need to put .OPT OBJ at the top of your program listing (note - .OPT is preceded by a period). I usually put it on line 1. Then, use the command ASM ,,#D:OBJECT.OBJ. Note - 2 commas after ASM. This will compile the source code in memory into an object file called OBJECT.OBJ which you can then binary load, and I think it will just run. Don't forget to save your source file before you edit to DOS!

Thanks, Rybags and Tyrop,

Doing it with ASM ,,#d:OBJECT.OBJ worked. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work the other way. I had .OPT OBJ in the beginning and did everything the Atari Roots book said to do. I put it at $3800 to avoid DOS 2.5 but it still would not run. I'll have to figure that out later. Now I will try to write a couple of small programs of my own and see if I can get them to compile and work.

Allan

• 11 years later...