IGNORED

Does anything happen in or around Florida?

PacManPlus

In 2009 there was the Infinte Bits gaming expo at the Doubletree near the MIA. It was okay, not great, very little retro-gaming. My kids had a blast. They had a cosplay contest and also Walter Day and Billy Mitchell made an appearance. There was actually a pretty decent turnout but that was the only year it was done.

This July there was Miami Comic Con but I couldn't make that. Cast of TRON was reportedly there.

I love southern FL. The whole state rocks as a whole. Cannot believe anyone would ever take offense to anything bad said about FL - show some security why dont'cha? Great state! Cross between CA, AZ and CO to be sure. Who wouldn't want to live there? And I don't know what Jetset's talking about needing a "passport" for South Florida. The Keys especially. Didn't know you needed a passport if you're straight down there. Jeez, louise! :lol: :rolling:

And may God Bless all the old people, that seem to swarm down yonder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gea3SJauh6E

PacManPlus,

what kind of happenings are you looking for exactly?

There are tons of good rock and Latin music concerts in FLA. Everyone plays Florida. There are the Coconut Grove Art Festival, The Los Olas Art Festival, the Christmas Boat Parade in Ft. Lauderdale, major sports events in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and numerous pet/animal events, as well as parades. There are symphonies, ballets, the Miami Calle Ocho festival. There's deep sea fishing, the Everglades, white water rafting upstate, college football and baseball, the Salvador Dali Museum, many many other art museums with events and exhibits, the Keys, the islands off the Tampa Bay for camping. There are races of all kinds (boats, cars, foot). There are big lectures at the universities. There are also events at the libraries. There are major car, design, culinary, and fashion shows. But as for video gaming, there seems to be real lack of events. Is that the kind of events you are looking for?

PS-I'm a native Floridian who has been away for awhile, but I do go back several times a year. I really do miss the ocean, the multiculturalism, and the food.

• 1 month later...

As a Puerto Rican who lives in South Florida, I take offense at that comment and I resent what you are implying.

From the wikipedia page for miami:

"As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, English by 25.45%, Haitian Creole by 5.20%, and French speakers comprised 0.76% of the population.[77] Other languages that were spoken throughout the city include Portuguese at 0.41%, German at 0.18%, Italian at 0.16%, Arabic at 0.15%, Chinese at 0.11%, and Greek at 0.08% of the population. Miami also has one of the largest percentage populations in the U.S. that have residents who speak first languages other than English at home (74.55%).[77]

Due to the increase in Spanish-speaking residents, by 2008 some English-speakers felt marginalized due to difficulties in conducting business"

jetset's comment was accurate.......

As a Puerto Rican who lives in South Florida, I take offense at that comment and I resent what you are implying.

From the wikipedia page for miami:

"As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, English by 25.45%, Haitian Creole by 5.20%, and French speakers comprised 0.76% of the population.[77] Other languages that were spoken throughout the city include Portuguese at 0.41%, German at 0.18%, Italian at 0.16%, Arabic at 0.15%, Chinese at 0.11%, and Greek at 0.08% of the population. Miami also has one of the largest percentage populations in the U.S. that have residents who speak first languages other than English at home (74.55%).[77]

Due to the increase in Spanish-speaking residents, by 2008 some English-speakers felt marginalized due to difficulties in conducting business"

jetset's comment was accurate.......

I wasn't offended by jetset's comment. I am well aware of the fact that Hispanics make the majority in Miami and the humor of his comment was not lost on me. I was offended by the racist comment that save2600 made about Puerto Ricans. Of course, that comment has been removed. Never mind the fact that Cubans make the majority of Hispanics in South Florida.

Yeah, Puerto Ricans seem in the minority as far as latinos go down here. I would venture a guess they are transplants from the northeast? At any rate as a "gringo" I don't at all mind the latino culture. Food is great, the chicks are HAWT (though they wear WAY too much perfume), But....the language barrier irks me. It's getting better in that as the generations "Americanize" more and more are speaking English. Still, Miami-Dade county is pretty bad to visit if you don't speak Spanish and considering it's still part of the USA I don't think it should be like that.

Except for the language thing I far prefer them to the holy-roller bible belt types in northern florida. ;-)

• Like 1

Miami-Dade county is pretty bad to visit if you don't speak Spanish and considering it's still part of the USA I don't think it should be like that.

I'm with you 100% on that one.

Puerto Ricans have concentrated in Orlando here in Florida. I'm not sure why it happened that way. I have lived in Miami for 20 years now and I'm here to stay. :)

Let's keep it on-topic, folks. You guys know what Albert and them have said about those kinds of arguments. As far as stuff to do, at the start of the year there's Otronicon. It's a game/dev con in Winter Park (Orlando area). I've only been there once, but they do have a section with some classic arcade cabinets (like a working Star Wars and Track & Field).

As far as stuff to do, at the start of the year there's Otronicon. It's a game/dev con in Winter Park (Orlando area). I've only been there once, but they do have a section with some classic arcade cabinets (like a working Star Wars and Track & Field).

Do you know when this takes place? It'd be cool to go!