IGNORED

CityScape New 2600 Game

Mr SQL

Here's a new build with the bug fixed that Yart had found and absolutely no flicker on any game screens :)

It's also tuned to be a little tougher. We just played it for a couple of hours with no crashes and having to reload. Comments on this build were that the different screens started to feel like colour therapy with a hypnotic pleasing effect, and that the cities looked martian ;)

RT thanks for the info on the debug screenflash, that's a great utility!

Just played a couple of rounds on the good ol 2600. Fun game, first time I've played it honestly, but it was challenging in a variety of ways. may I make a suggest? Don't have a ship on the bottom following you, make it so you have two or three on the bottom that are stationary but still shoot at you . . . just an idea.

Good job!

Thanks disjaukifa!

That's a cool idea, maybe I will revise it to have more ground ships in subsequent screens or have it alternate; agree they would have to be stationary if there was more than one.

I was also thinking of writing another video game with the new compilers beyond-semigraphic abilities but still keeping the focus on gameplay.

Very cool you played it on the real hardware btw :)

Here's a new build with the bug fixed that Yart had found and absolutely no flicker on any game screens :)

It's also tuned to be a little tougher. We just played it for a couple of hours with no crashes and having to reload. Comments on this build were that the different screens started to feel like colour therapy with a hypnotic pleasing effect, and that the cities looked martian ;)

Just played a couple of rounds on the good ol 2600. Fun game, first time I've played it honestly, but it was challenging in a variety of ways. may I make a suggest? Don't have a ship on the bottom following you, make it so you have two or three on the bottom that are stationary but still shoot at you . . . just an idea.

Good job!

Thanks disjaukifa!

That's a cool idea, maybe I will revise it to have more ground ships in subsequent screens or have it alternate; agree they would have to be stationary if there was more than one.

I was also thinking of writing another video game with the new compilers beyond-semigraphic abilities but still keeping the focus on gameplay.

Hey man,

While graphics are nice and everything, I would focus more on game play. The game you have so far with great, a couple of improvements here and there and you've got yourself a really winner here. By all means make more games no one will complain about that :D, but I'm just saying get this one hammered out and finished!!!

If you need me to do more testing on real hardware just let me know :D

Good job!

Thanks disjaukifa!

Hey man,

While graphics are nice and everything, I would focus more on game play. The game you have so far with great, a couple of improvements here and there and you've got yourself a really winner here. By all means make more games no one will complain about that :D, but I'm just saying get this one hammered out and finished!!!

If you need me to do more testing on real hardware just let me know :D

Thanks, I would definitely like you to test the next build! Let me know if you have any more ideas (anyone else too). Agree 100% on gameplay being paramount.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is awesome! Could you explain how you give a pfpixel a random position? I don't really understand it.

Thanks Rabbit 2600,

I'm glad you like it! :) It might be easier to explain what's going on in English than looking at the source code:

The routine that draws the random city scape has a couple of loops that call bB's random function to determine the height and width, as well as the placement of each random building to be drawn (there are just a few). This creates one city scape, but it lives within a larger loop so a few city scapes are overlaid atop one another to create the effect.

Take a look at the source and let me know if it's clearer now - I can explain in more detail if you have questions on any specific spots.