IGNORED

Any info on Video Technology Laser 500 computer?

31336haxx0r

On 12/27/2018 at 12:27 AM, nippur72 said:

Thank you for the patches!

As for the wait states, in my emulator I have a per-instruction CPU emulation, so I simply add the number of memory reads/writes to total count of instruction's T-states.

Not sure if you're still around nippur72, but the wait-state issue has been fixed in MAME 0.224 which is available now.

18 hours ago, Robbbert said:

Not sure if you're still around nippur72, but the wait-state issue has been fixed in MAME 0.224 which is available now.

oh thank you I'll check it ? I'll compare it to the browser emulator which is pretty solid.

BTW we have also an FPGA implementation for the MiST platform that is accurate as well, though it doesn't replicate the VLSI chip but emulates it at a functional level.

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, nippur72 said:

My Laser 500 just arrived! I'm happy as a child :) :-D. I haven't touched this machine since the late '80. WOW.

- the unit is in pretty good state, doesn't seem to have been used much

- I have the QWERTY model, with ANTENNA/TV connector in place of RGB. It is possible to choose between CH3 and CH3 via a little switch on the back (anyway I haven't tested it)

- no PSU included, but I've plugged to it a 9V DC positive central power supply (thank to the info on this thread). It works even with 0.5 mA but the power supply gets really hot. And by giving less than 9V the image flickers considerably.

- the keyboard is quite responsive, much more than I remembered

- image quality using composite video is rather BAD on my LCD screen. I am puzzled as it was crisp on my old TV. Now it's like there is a VIC20 attached (if you know how that machine looks). But if I switch to monochrome (via the switch on the back) it's very sharp (but alas, no color!).

<snip>

I just acquired a Laser 500 myself, the same version as you. And I also have very bad image using composite video on my plasma screen. However, in later posts from you I saw a screenshot of your screen and it looked pretty good. Did you manage to improve the image quality and if so, how?

Also, it seems that interest in this computer has died after 2019, or is the discussion moved to another location?

It proved difficult to make decent pictures. The effect is very clear in real life, but difficult to capture. For instance I was unable to capture the jail bars in the border and background. I think the under exposed picture shows the problems the best. On the 3rd picture you can see the shadow next to the cursor and random black pixel (between a and r).

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

• 1 month later...