IGNORED

Who still has the original PS3 Chassis?

SlowCoder

Of everyone I've seen (friends and neighbors) in the last couple of years, no one still has the older Phat PS3 chassis. They all either got their first PS3 after they updated the design to the Slim, or their original PS3 crapped out and they updated. I don't like the looks of the Slim model. It looks cheap by comparison. I really prefer the hulking look of the Phat.

I still have my 40GB Phat model with its thousands of running hours, and it's still running strong. Haven't had to replace the hard drive, CD drive doesn't seem to have read problems, haven't had to reinstall the OS, etc.

KNOCK ON THE OL' PROVERBIAL WOOD!

I'm thinking about opening it up for some routine cleaning to get the dust out and check the fan(s).

Just wondering how many other ones are still out there.

I now have two 60GB phats and only had an issue with one of them. I have a slim too but only use that for movies and multiplayer gaming. I had an HDMI problem with the original slim and ended up taking it back to the store to swap for another. I upgraded the HDD's on all of them.

Never opened them up though. I was thinking about doing that on one of the phats but haven't had the time to do it.

I'm still going strong with an upgraded 80gb--my fat ps3 isn't that old at all really.

The excessive fan noise that I've seen a number of fat ps3's develop would just drive me up the wall, so I can see why some would upgrade from otherwise functional fat systems, but mine hasn't come down with a case of jet-engine yet.

Generally I go with the most compact version of hardware available too, so long as there aren't too many feature differences--not so much on ps3. It wasn't small enough to hit my radar. If they had come out with a ps3 slim the size of a deck of playing cards, it might have been a different story though.

Edited by Reaperman

The excessive fan noise that I've seen a number of fat ps3's develop would just drive me up the wall, so I can see why some would upgrade from otherwise functional fat systems, but mine hasn't come down with a case of jet-engine yet.

I'd guess it probably suffers from the same standard maladies that a normal PC would ... lack of care, cleaning and maintenance. Leading to dust in the fans, vents, and heat sinks, causing the fans to have to work harder, and the bushings/bearings to wear out faster, making more noise as the spindles wear out and allow vibration. (not bad for a run-on sentence, eh? :P)

I still have my 60GB with full PS2 BC bought when the price first dropped from $599 to $499 at Game Crazy. I mainly bought it for infinite memory cards and my first actual PS3 game was Sonic the Hedgehog. I actually didn't hate the game even though it was kinda hard. I only beat it with Sonic though. Didn't like Shadow and Silver's levels or controls much.

I still have my 60GB with full PS2 BC bought when the price first dropped from $599 to $499 at Game Crazy. I mainly bought it for infinite memory cards and my first actual PS3 game was Sonic the Hedgehog. I actually didn't hate the game even though it was kinda hard. I only beat it with Sonic though. Didn't like Shadow and Silver's levels or controls much.

That's the thing; most of the recent Sonic games aren't the worst games in the world (excepting perhaps Shadow the Hedgehog; that was pretty dreadful), they're just extremely underwhelming when you consider where the Blue Blur was 15 years ago.

I have my 60gb launch system still. Had to have it reballed last april, and the rsx was replaced with a used one from a donor system. It had the ylod. The place i had fix it had a ir rework bench. I would have bought a slim but the repair was only $100. Seems hit or miss on how long they last. I had two friends get the ylod, but my brothers 60gb is still working fine.

I still have my 60GB PS2 compatible PS3. My original launch day one died a year or so ago when playing FF XIII (laser died), and when I got it replaced they wanted to give me a slim, but I refused and they gave me another 60GB model. When my PS2 finally dies my PS3 is going to be my new PS2. :)