IGNORED

Can you play original XBOX games on the 4gig slim XBOX 360?...

ataridave

All the original xbox 360 hard drives have been able to play xbox games, backwards compatibility.

If you buy a standard 360 drive (not one for slim), spend 10 bucks and get a slim case for the hard drive (or just float the drive inside of it, case not needed), take apart the original drive, and insert into the slim.

I would think any old flash drive 8GB or larger would work. Haven't specifically tried using one for old xbox compatibility junk, but I do use one for saves & storing XBLA games.

Personally, I would rather buy this one then the much more expensive 250gig drive. I mean, I don't plane on using Netflix, or downloading any shows, movies, or music onto my 360. Just game saves, and XBLA games.

• Like 1

I would think any old flash drive 8GB or larger would work. Haven't specifically tried using one for old xbox compatibility junk, but I do use one for saves & storing XBLA games.

Personally, I would rather buy this one then the much more expensive 250gig drive. I mean, I don't plane on using Netflix, or downloading any shows, movies, or music onto my 360. Just game saves, and XBLA games.

I think only the hard drives keep the compatibility folder required for original xbox games.

I highly recommend using the extra space on a 250 gig hard drive to download games to your hard drive. Every game I own is downloaded to my hard drive so I can game for several hours at a time without putting very much stress on my system.

and to get back on topic, I am able to play (some) original xbox games with my 250 gig, but without I cannot.

Edited by Itchy Koala

I highly recommend using the extra space on a 250 gig hard drive to download games to your hard drive. Every game I own is downloaded to my hard drive so I can game for several hours at a time without putting very much stress on my system.

and to get back on topic, I am able to play (some) original xbox games with my 250 gig, but without I cannot.

OK, well I guess I'll shell out for this, then!

Flash drives don't enable Xbox backwards compatibility.

I hope you're also planning to use that 250gig hd for other things besides Xbox BC, such as XBLA games, installing disc games to the hard drive, expansion packs, etc. Xbox backwards compatibility was pretty poor. Barely half of the library is compatible and the majority of the games that are backwards compatible don't really perform right (I've played perhaps 20 original Xbox games on the 360 at one time or another, and maybe 1/3 of those performed close to 100% with the rest having issues ranging from nagging problems like frame rate drops that weren't there on the Xbox to critical issues).

It's a pretty expensive accessory just to play the ~10% or so of the original Xbox library that actually works correctly on the 360. You could buy numerous Xbox consoles for what you'd be paying for a 250 gig hard drive and every game would be guaranteed to work the way the programmers intended.

Edited by Atariboy

Flash drives don't enable Xbox backwards compatibility.

I hope you're also planning to use that 250gig hd for other things besides Xbox BC, such as XBLA games, installing disc games to the hard drive, expansion packs, etc. Xbox backwards compatibility was pretty poor. Barely half of the library is compatible and the majority of the games that are backwards compatible don't really perform right (I've played perhaps 20 original Xbox games on the 360 at one time or another, and maybe 1/3 of those performed close to 100% with the rest having issues ranging from nagging problems like frame rate drops that weren't there on the Xbox to critical issues).

It's a pretty expensive accessory just to play the ~10% or so of the original Xbox library that actually works correctly on the 360. You could buy numerous Xbox consoles for what you'd be paying for a 250 gig hard drive and every game would be guaranteed to work the way the programmers intended.

He's right about that, I forgot to mention it's not going to enable every xbox game to play on the 360.

yeah their right. What games do you want to play? Here is a list of the compatible games for the 360. See if the games you want to play are on there...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

BC on the 360 sucks a hard one. Since most of the games had issues even when they worked MicroSoft shouldn't have bothered.

Besides, the original Xbox's are pretty much a dime-a-dozen these days. The hard part is maintaining the hardware, especially the power supply and DVD-ROM drives. In addition, you can mod the Xbox to pretty much do anything but mow your lawn.

I'm glad it's there. A few classics run very well and shine with upscaling on a HDTV. And I get to enjoy 16:9 modes without bothering to hook my Xbox up to my HDTV and negatively affecting my picture quality in the process.

The Halo titles, the Ninja Gaiden titles, Black, Sid Meier's Pirates, Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy, Atari Anthology (It's natively 1080i and runs perfectly on the 360's emulator, allowing me to enjoy this game in HD yet keep my Xbox hooked up to my Trinitron for the best picture quality with the average Xbox game) and several others have impressed me.

But more often than not, the games just perform too poorly to make it worthwhile. It's well worth checking out if you already have a hard drive. But in my opinion it's far too flawed and limited to justify buying an expensive accessory for the express purpose of using it for Xbox backwards compatibility.

But for the occasional Xbox game that's compatible and runs without issue, it's a nice thing to have around.

Edited by Atariboy

I finished a couple games on Xbox 360 that played very well. Half-Life 2 before it was available on 360. I played through Black on 360 and I don't remember having a single issue. That was a great game. I replayed Halo 2 all the way through. It has some small known glitches but for the most part it worked fine and looked good. I plan to finally finish Doom 3 RoE on it... or I might just use one of my Xbox's. I haven't decided.

I'm glad it's there. A few classics run very well and shine with upscaling on a HDTV. And I get to enjoy 16:9 modes without bothering to hook my Xbox up to my HDTV and negatively affecting my picture quality in the process.

The Halo titles, the Ninja Gaiden titles, Black, Sid Meier's Pirates, Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy, Atari Anthology (It's natively 1080i and runs perfectly on the 360's emulator, allowing me to enjoy this game in HD yet keep my Xbox hooked up to my Trinitron for the best picture quality with the average Xbox game) and several others have impressed me.

But more often than not, the games just perform too poorly to make it worthwhile. It's well worth checking out if you already have a hard drive. But in my opinion it's far too flawed and limited to justify buying an expensive accessory for the express purpose of using it for Xbox backwards compatibility.

But for the occasional Xbox game that's compatible and runs without issue, it's a nice thing to have around.

Yeah I did quite enjoy the fact Sonic Mega Collection Plus runs on it. It allowed me to play some good classics without paying for them again.

I still don't have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection yet, but I will some day "Just For The F Of It" (as Mark Hoppus' old discontinued +44 blog site was called).