IGNORED

Candy Catcher (2600) a small game for the Halloween season!

disjaukifa

Just had an idea... As the player and the robot are already a tribute to Berzerk - why not use the same score-font ? I think it looks not bad...

post-12950-0-99261600-1318123512_thumb.png

score_graphics_berzerk.asm

Dude thats an awesome idea! I'll add it to the game now! I'm working on the following and I will post an update once it has been completed! Here is what I'm changing

• Score stays on the screen to a new game is actually started
  • Its easier to change the game difficultly when the game has not started (Before you had to do it before the game started or once the game ended)
  • Depending on the game difficulty the score will be a different color
  • Testing out removing all the candy sprites when a game has ended ( I'm working on this one now)
  • Working on make it so that every time you land on a robot, the robots speed increases slightly, so even though you get 15 points for smashing the robot, the next time the robot appears on the screen it will be going faster than before
  • Minor updates and tweaks.

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Here is what I've gotten done tonight so far:

• Score stays on the screen to a new game is actually started
  • Its easier to change the game difficultly when the game has not started (Before you had to do it before the game started or once the game ended)
  • Depending on the game difficulty the score will be a different color
  • Testing out removing all the candy sprites when a game has ended ( I'm working on this one now)
  • Working on make it so that every time you land on a robot, the robots speed increases slightly, so even though you get 15 points for smashing the robot, the next time the robot appears on the screen it will be going faster than before (Still not done yet)
  • Minor updates and tweaks.
  • Added the new font for the score curtsey of Impaler_26

I've made it so easy to know what game difficulty you are playing now. Purple is Difficulty B and Red is Difficulty A. Here are a couple of screen shots of what has been done.

post-24538-0-36305000-1318131813_thumb.png post-24538-0-95773600-1318131816_thumb.png post-24538-0-22303600-1318131818_thumb.png

post-24538-0-37454000-1318131815_thumb.png post-24538-0-22247800-1318131819_thumb.png post-24538-0-43317800-1318131820_thumb.png

Also here is the updated game label as well:

post-24538-0-66383600-1318132939_thumb.png

Here is the latest binary as well:

Candy_Catcher_10082011.bin

I'm actually still working on it at the moment, so if I get anything else updated and working, I'll post it asap!

Thanks

One of the items falling is a shade of blue that is very hard to see on a black background. You might want to lighten it up.

Hey Guys

Its just after 1am here but here is another update. Per the above comment from Random (which after doing a lot of testing I have to agree with) I've made it so that each different type of candy can only have a specific set of colors. This means no two pieces of candy will have the same colors and I've also made so that the candy's colors are all bright and easier to see as well.

I'm down to just 159 bytes of space left. The only thing I would like to get implement is a speed increase and I have a solution that will work and will be simple, however I'm too tired to try to do it right now. I'll work on it tomorrow!

Candy_Catcher_10092011a.a26

Thanks!

I like the changes you made in the latest version, especially the different score colors. The candy colors are also much better now. I played a few games on difficulty A - man is that robot fast! :lol:

I also improved my highscore a bit on difficulty B - try to beat this:

post-12950-0-76794200-1318177029_thumb.png

:-D

I'm glad you approve!!! And that is an impressive score! I'm working on the final piece of the game now, in both games the speed of the robot will crease after you smash the robot, also the frequency at which the robot appears will increase as well. I'll post the RC (Release Candidate) Binary sometime this afternoon/evening!

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I'm calling this my Release Candidate 1 build of Candy Catchers. I finally got the incremental speed working however it used just about all the space I had left on the rom to do so and because I could only increase the speed in certain amounts, I had to changed what the difficulty settings implied.

Difficulty B Easy

• The frequency at which the robot appears on the screen is fixed and does not change.
  • The first 3 times you smash the robot, the robots speed will increase

Difficulty A Pro

• Both the frequency and the speed of the robot will increase for the first 3 times you smash the robot

Here is the latest build! Let me know what you think and if you find any horrible bugs please let me know! I'll be playing it alot of the next few days to make sure I haven't missed any glitches.

Candy_Catcher_RC1.a26

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I think I fixed the final bug in the game. I noticed that the robot was always coming from the right side of the screen and only about 3 times in 3 hours of testing did the robot from left side of screen. Well I found where my logic was bad and fixed it. I'm down to 14 bytes left!!! I think is the final build of the game as well. At this point I really have no space left for anything else! Let me know what you think!

Candy_Catcher_RC2.a26

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I think I fixed the final bug in the game.

Very nice! I played RC2 a few times and haven't found any bugs yet but i'll play some more tonight just to be sure.

As the game is as good as finished you should also post it in the homebrew forum to get some more attention and feedback on possible bugs/glitches. I guess a lot of people who might be interested in the game don't even look at the bB forum...

Oh, and just in case someone missed it - the game will be sold on cart (i just stumbled over the thread a while ago):

http://www.atariage....-homebrew-game/

Fun game! It's got elements of Kaboom and Super Mario Bros., two great games...

Hard to believe it's your first effort!

Thanks for the feedback Byte Knight! I'm glad you had fun playing it!

Honestly its not my first effort, but I would say its the first game I've finished and have everything done it. My first game which I thinking about re visiting and trying to finish was called Earth Invaders though I'm pretty sure I'm going to end calling it "Not another space shooter" which I didn't get far one at all, then my second was Atomic Meltdown which I just started writing the game from scratch all of over again and that one I plan on finishing sometime next year it looks like. My third game idea is a game called Space Debris (Working Title name) that I want to finish as well but never finished.

x2! Great game disjaukifa, clearly you've written video games before if not some related kind of programming.

It reminded me of popcorn, trying to catch everything until this little Berserker robot dude came out and attacked me, unexpected and made the game even more interesting - very cool :)

x2! Great game disjaukifa, clearly you've written video games before if not some related kind of programming.

It reminded me of popcorn, trying to catch everything until this little Berserker robot dude came out and attacked me, unexpected and made the game even more interesting - very cool :)

I'm glad you enjoyed that game! That was the whole idea behind this project, to create something fun for people to play. I'm a software engineer by profession, though I do all my coding in Java, I have had to shift my thinking when I work on the 2600 because I'm going from Object Oriented Programming to Procedural Programming which is a completely different mindset!

I've already got my next game laid out, but the big trick is I'm waiting to program that game in 6502 Machine Language instead of Basic so I can save more space, and do more with my 4K limitation!

disjaukifa,

very cool; will you still use batari's libraries to abstract the graphics hardware or are you going to build your own display routines?

I was thinking of trying to build on myself so that I could get more objects on the screen at once, that limitation really bothers me, I know you can use registers to get more, but I want to be able to have more unique objects on the screen at once. Also I feel that if I'm going to truly learn 6502 Machine Language, it will be best if I do everything from scratch!

• Like 1

disjaukifa,

very cool; will you still use batari's libraries to abstract the graphics hardware or are you going to build your own display routines?

I was thinking of trying to build on myself so that I could get more objects on the screen at once, that limitation really bothers me, I know you can use registers to get more, but I want to be able to have more unique objects on the screen at once. Also I feel that if I'm going to truly learn 6502 Machine Language, it will be best if I do everything from scratch!

Very inspiring disjaukifa! I hope you will post about your adventures as you go along, it will also be a great way to learn to write to that unique line by line video hardware. I'd really like to learn that too.

disjaukifa,

Very inspiring disjaukifa! I hope you will post about your adventures as you go along, it will also be a great way to learn to write to that unique line by line video hardware. I'd really like to learn that too.

When I do get around to doing it, it will probably start out as a blog and once I have a good start on a game, it will transition to that game thread but I will defiantly post my journey into mastering Machine Langauge!

When I do get around to doing it, it will probably start out as a blog and once I have a good start on a game, it will transition to that game thread but I will defiantly post my journey into mastering Machine Langauge!

I think a blog of your ML journey would be interesting, looking forward to it.