IGNORED

PS2 games appearing on PSN without announcements?

cimerians

Raiden III would be cool. I never bought it because I didn't want a physical disc for this arcade type game beleive it or not. I feel many arcade type games or emulation collections should be downloadable. Its a pain in the ass to pop in a CD of Xevious only to play for a few minutes or a round and then have to pop the CD back out to play whatever else you were playing.

Downloads are becoming better and better for me. Not too happy about it (being an old schooler) but damn is it convenient. I actually play MORE often than I used to because of that fact.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/06/the-drop-week-of-november-7th-2011-new-releases/

Continuing the stream of releases:

• Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Stuntman: Ignition

Gonna pass on these, but it's good to see they're making an effort to have a steady stream of content. Oh, also Chrono Chross on PSOne classics .. but I already have the original.

Odd choice in Stuntman Ignition, considering that it was released on both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 at the time.

Is there a reason why someone would want to play the PS2 version when there is a PS3 version available? Different games that just share the same name and concept, perhaps? Was a fairly regular occurance during the early days of this generation, such as with some of the Tom Clancy games.

If the PS3 version is the same thing, it seems idiotic not to just make that digitally available instead and invest their resources into a game that isn't already available.

Edit - Looks like they're the same thing, but the PS2 version had local multiplayer while the PS3 version just had online. So I guess if that is an interest to anyone, this is worth a download.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/796/796595p1.html

Edited by Atariboy

• 10 months later...

We're a year into this program now. Anyone spent much time with any of the releases yet? Any thoughts on it now that you've used it?

Still seems like an odd selection of games to me. Nothing has made me feel compelled yet to purchase it although some good games have been released through it. And at least new releases are coming semi regularly. Surprised to see so much shovelware on it as well (Although it seems confined mostly to Europe).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2_classics#PlayStation_2_classics

Haven't purchased any myself... most of these games could easily be found used and complete. Is there any advantage to playing them on a PS3 over a PS2? From what I understand, it is the same graphics at 480i, etc.

It is an odd selection of games too. If there was something more rare made available, I would take more interest. I keep waiting for Suikoden 2 as a PS one classic to appear, but no breath holding from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. They mix it all in with the other announcements and they dont appear on the tuesday PSN new releases list at all when you sign in to the store. How the heck can they expect to sell these? Some of these games though are pretty damn good so its their stupid loss.

I searched and found the following PS2 games.

Odin Sphere ($9.99)

Action RPG.

File size: 3.28 GB

Maximo: Ghosts To Glory ($9.99)

PLATFORMER

File size: 713 MB

GRIMgRiMoiRe ($9.99)

RTS.

ESRB rated E10+

File size: 1.33 GB

Ring of Red ($9.99)

Turn-based strategy game

ESRB rated T

File size: 580 MB

God Hand ($9.99)

ACTION

ESRB rated M

File size: 1.48 GB

Seems you get digital manuals with the games just like the PS1. I downloaded Maximo and the emulation is pretty darn good.

You can get those same games (physicals) for the same price... sealed, nib.

The digital purchases are a rip off and a half. I bought around 5+ PS1 titles when I first got my Slim back in '10. That was before I learned how big of a retard I was for paying those prices for digital emulations. Same story for the Wii, wasted close to $50 on 5 or 6 emulations. It's a rip off considering the physicals cost the same, usually sealed nib.

I'll never understand the tards that purposefully support emulations in high numbers when they already own the physicals.

N., S., and the rest are simply betting on Gluttons... and they're winning that bet... hands down apparently.

Most of that post is nonsense. The Virtual Console bit for instance, there's not much on there that you'd be able to locate a physical release that's NIB for the same $5-$10 price.

I need to stop being lazy, up my desktop resolution a bit (AtariAge doesn't like the low resolution I run at it seems and few functions are inaccessible), and access the menu where you manage the ignore list finally...

You can get those same games (physicals) for the same price... sealed, nib.

The digital purchases are a rip off and a half. I bought around 5+ PS1 titles when I first got my Slim back in '10. That was before I learned how big of a retard I was for paying those prices for digital emulations. Same story for the Wii, wasted close to $50 on 5 or 6 emulations. It's a rip off considering the physicals cost the same, usually sealed nib.

Please point me to the reputable online dealer where I can purchase NIB copies of Ring of Red, Vanguard Bandits, Arc the Lad Collection, Castlevania Chronicles, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII, Grandia, Parasite Eve, and Suikoden for less than the PSN download cost. I have some bulk purchases to make.

Edited by Gabriel
  • Like 1

It's all about convenience and as Gabriel mentioned you can't find new copies of these games without paying for it. One new copy of Suikoden costs as much as an Xbox 360 console. Tomba is over 50. I won't even talk about Nintendo. They have some of the most sought after games ever. I couldn't afford to collect for Nintendo.

I think its a good idea to keep old games alive through digital distribution and at a mostly fixed price point. My cousin who's in his 20's finally got copies of the above games cause he could not find them and also could not afford them.

Thumbs up to Nintendo, Sony and MS for keeping old titles alive and available. I like it.

Please point me to the reputable online dealer where I can purchase NIB copies of Ring of Red, Vanguard Bandits, Arc the Lad Collection, Castlevania Chronicles, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII, Grandia, Parasite Eve, and Suikoden for less than the PSN download cost. I have some bulk purchases to make.

Yes... you would be very hard pressed to find a used decent copy of Suikoden used for that amount as well as the other games you mentioned. The PS2 games... some of those are a different story. Given the choice between a $9.99 download vs $20 new or mint, and I go with the physical copy. If I really wanted to play Suikoden again though... I'd just pay the $9.99 for the digital (I just want them to release Suikoden 2 like this.....).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes... you would be very hard pressed to find a used decent copy of Suikoden used for that amount as well as the other games you mentioned. The PS2 games... some of those are a different story. Given the choice between a $9.99 download vs $20 new or mint, and I go with the physical copy. If I really wanted to play Suikoden again though... I'd just pay the $9.99 for the digital (I just want them to release Suikoden 2 like this.....).

On Konami's facebook they recently posted a picture of Flik and talked about his role in Suikoden II. I hope that was supposed to be a clue.