IGNORED

Season 7 Round 8 - Double Dragon

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 8 of the 7th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This week's game is going to be Double Dragon.

Title: Pinball

Developer: Technos

Publisher: Tradewest

Released: June, 1988 (US)

Rules:

Select "Game A"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfTzSNGtQ18

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1(t). HatefulGravey	 24
1(t). bigbee99	 24
1(t). Austin	 24
4. asponge	 20
5. SoulBlazer	 18
6. roadrunner	 10
7. Jibbajaba	 9
8. LarcenTyler	 6
9(t). NightSprinter	 3
9(t). classicgamer_27330	 3
9(t). Sonic R	 3
12. theKLT	 2
13(t). dustfilledhobo	 1
13(t). Algus	 1
13(t). DemonoidTentacle	 1
13(t). Cebus Capucinus	 1

Edited by Jibbajaba

I'm having trouble with attachments. I will not upload them. If the problem straightens out, I will upload the SS of the score.

So the forums are no uploading pics, and not telling you :P double post on the pics. My bad

B

Edited by bigbee99

Finally had some time to try and got 44,020

I got a little nervous because once I died it went right to the title screen and didn't show the score :lol: But then I noticed the screenshots here had a "Hi" listing on it so I pressed start and there it was.

post-31-0-13806200-1319244869_thumb.jpg

Only the 2nd game I played (First one was last week and I stopped at the end of stage 2). I used to be able to finish this game with my eyes closed but it's been so long, that I got lost in the mazes :P

post-27362-0-79544300-1319432412_thumb.png

I was always a Double Dragon 2 fan and never really played this one back when. I've put some time into this game over the weekend and except for the stalactites, missions 1-3 have almost become routine at this point. Mission 4 however is killing me. Does anyone know a strategy for the walls where the stones are flying out at you? Or is it simply run and hope you don't get hit?

On this new pc, if i go in fullscreen mode on FCE Ultra the picure is mostly all yellow. :(

Is there a reason you use FCE Ultra over Nestopia?

post-27362-0-79544300-1319432412_thumb.png

I was always a Double Dragon 2 fan and never really played this one back when. I've put some time into this game over the weekend and except for the stalactites, missions 1-3 have almost become routine at this point. Mission 4 however is killing me. Does anyone know a strategy for the walls where the stones are flying out at you? Or is it simply run and hope you don't get hit?

On this new pc, if i go in fullscreen mode on FCE Ultra the picure is mostly all yellow. :(

I never tried Nestopia.

FCE Ultra worked just fine in fullscreen mode on my old pc.

FCE Ultra doesn't need bios and the controller input was easy to set up.

I guess as long as i don't go in fullscreen mode and stay in window size 3 i'll be alright. :)

I can't even get MESS to work on this pc.

I just found that in Mission 3, you can loop the green/blue cavern area endlessly. When you start running out of time, you can exit back through the cave to go to the pink area, then back to the green area. It will reset the clock. Kind of broken, I guess.

Also, I did some testing and tried looping the forest area of Mission 3. If you do it fast enough, I think it's possible (I ran out of time just before getting to the two Abobos that come out of the cave a second time).

Anyways, after almost looping the forest area once and looping the green section of the caves once, I had about 59,000 points at the blue-ish outdoor area of Mission 4 (the platforming segment).

I guess my question is from here, should looping be allowed, or are we to plow straight through the game without taking advantage of some of these loopholes?

I would think that in any point scoring game, you are allowed to mass points in any way that the game allows. And since you aren't doing cheating moves (e.g. like using emulator save states) I say yeah go for it. :) But of course that depends on how much you want to "win" a casual/just for fun contest like this one. :P

Personally for me that means just getting as far as I can in the game, fighting everyone with as many punches as possible (which gives more points), and no longer doing the strategy where you can make people fall off a conveyor belt since that means you don't get the points for beating them. But if someone else wanted to milk the loop, hey it's part of the game. :)

I would think that in any point scoring game, you are allowed to mass points in any way that the game allows. And since you aren't doing cheating moves (e.g. like using emulator save states) I say yeah go for it. :) But of course that depends on how much you want to "win" a casual/just for fun contest like this one. :P Personally for me that means just getting as far as I can in the game, fighting everyone with as many punches as possible (which gives more points), and no longer doing the strategy where you can make people fall off a conveyor belt since that means you don't get the points for beating them. But if someone else wanted to milk the loop, hey it's part of the game. :)

I was thinking that maybe the forest area loop can be taken advantage of, since you have to do it right otherwise you run out of time. The pink cave to green cave loop though, I think that shouldn't be allowed since you can do it endlessly. I don't think there are any other points in the game where you can loop a section.

I never tried Nestopia.

FCE Ultra worked just fine in fullscreen mode on my old pc.

FCE Ultra doesn't need bios and the controller input was easy to set up.

I guess as long as i don't go in fullscreen mode and stay in window size 3 i'll be alright. :)

I can't even get MESS to work on this pc.

That's cool, I was just curious to know if I was missing something by not using it.

Looping is a form of point pressing which, while not against the rules, certainly seems unsportsmanlike. Just my opinion though.

Agreed.