IGNORED

Genesis wireless controllers

Yurkie

Doesn't anyone own the Sega released original wireless controllers? I am super excited to get my hands on a set of these and will even revive and post results on this thread, but would really like to hear your opinions.

Please don't let the fact that "results may very" discourage you from posting.

I own one. It's really nice. I like the shape of the thing, it's fatter than the normal wired 6-button pad. Wish it had turbo switches though. Can be a liiittle difficult to play when the system's set on the floor, because you do have to point the controller in its general direction... can't hold it aimed slightly up, like you always see kids holding 'em in old ads.

I own one. It's really nice. I like the shape of the thing, it's fatter than the normal wired 6-button pad. Wish it had turbo switches though. Can be a liiittle difficult to play when the system's set on the floor, because you do have to point the controller in its general direction... can't hold it aimed slightly up, like you always see kids holding 'em in old ads.

Sound kind of junk going by your post. I was hoping that they worked like a charm pointed in the general direction. Damn Expectations!!!

Do other owners agree with Rex? Are they pretty much junk? I mean if you have to be careful that they are pointed at the receiver, that pretty much equates to sucking balls in my opinion!

They aren't junk; you just can't aim the IR at the ceiling & expect it to work. If I didn't have my genesis on the floor it'd be a non-issue.

I appreciate you being cautious instead of making them sound like you can go outside and play thru a window or something.

Someone over at racketboy recently posted a review with pics:

http://www.racketboy...=476619#p476619

Thanks a million for the link to the review. The not working 100% from 10 feet is a bit disconcerting. I'll probably still get a set, I just get anal about stuff working really really well.

They aren't junk; you just can't aim the IR at the ceiling & expect it to work. If I didn't have my genesis on the floor it'd be a non-issue.

I appreciate you being cautious instead of making them sound like you can go outside and play thru a window or something.

Well, actuaaaaally you might be able to. I tend to sit really close to the TV/Sega, so I need to have it pointed more in that direction than if I were further away. I'll see how far the signal reaches later, if I remember.

edit: Oh yeah, the shape of the receiver makes it incompatible with the CDX (and I assume other uncommon models) unless you've got extension cables to put the receiver on.

I used to play NES with this Camerica IR stick, and we would take it outside to play NES when we'd get run out of the house for playing too much NES.

Edited by Rex Dart

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set and considering they use IR, they work quite well. Much better than the Acclaim wireless controllers for the NES (which are junk, IMHO).

With my setup, I have the system about up in the entertainment center & have had very few issues. I can't recall it missing any inputs when the controller is pointed in the "general direction" of the receiver. Only times I have issues is when I point the controller upwards...which is a habit I developed when playing on my 360...odd.

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I have some oddball off-brand IR controllers for my Genesis system(s). Can't tell ya the brand, but I spotted a big bag full of them, and the transmitters, at a Salvation Army thrift years ago.... Price was .99 cents per item... I bought ALL they had...

These things work VERY well... Actually much better than my one Saturn IR controller...

Range is pretty darn good, normally about 15-20 feet, mostly independent of line-of-sight... but, if I purposely 'aim' it, I can get good response @ nearly 40 feet....

They have rapid, and auto-fire, and will last a LONG time on a set of 3 'AAA' batts... only downside, they are only 3 button... Here's a pic:

post-2065-0-24095000-1321580370_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...