IGNORED

Is the TutorVision rarer than the Keyboard Component?

boxpressed

They're both about as rare as Kryptonite, but if I had to guess, I'd agree that the TutorVision is definitely rarer. The Keyboard Component was a (very briefly) released product, whereas the TutorVision was only a prototype. It's a pity, since it looks like a fascinating little machine—and pretty, too! I'd love to see its educational titles in action, even if only in emulation.

EDIT: In case anyone reading this doesn't know what we're talking about, see this article on the Intellivision Productions website (scroll down about halfway), and this page from a TutorVision owner.

Tutorvision is the true Intellivision holy grail.

There are only 3 of them and only 2 working.

Anyway I must admit that I know very few people with a fully working Keyboard Component (the tape driver is usually broken in most of them), I don't think that there are more than 10 left in the world.

Anyway I must admit that I know very few people with a fully working Keyboard Component (the tape driver is usually broken in most of them), I don't think that there are more than 10 left in the world.

Alex, in your collection page http://www.gamescollection.it/collections/a/138 there's a picture of the white Intellivision, another true holy grail. I've seen another picture of it with the brown controller. Have you got some info about its origin?

If you find a Tutorvision...What is the value for you???

Alex, in your collection page http://www.gamescoll...llections/a/138 there's a picture of the white Intellivision, another true holy grail. I've seen another picture of it with the brown controller. Have you got some info about its origin?

If you find a Tutorvision...What is the value for you???

My understanding is that the white one is a proto/test unit. I'm pretty sure Chris Neiman has one IIRC.

post-25458-0-56672800-1319255047_thumb.jpg

post-25458-0-19122100-1319255052_thumb.jpg

Surely a Tutorvision is worth not less than 6000-7000$, probably more if it comes with software.

About the white Intellivision I'm sorry but nobody knows anything about it.

All what I can say it is that it is surely original and not an homemade work.

My guess is that is a sort of alternative design prototype.

• 4 weeks later...

The Tutorvision was known as a board only for some time. Around 15 years ago, Ted Brunner found the unit with a case at a Chicago thrift store. He was eBay seller TedB. Don't know what he's doing now, if he got a life or what. He was selling full time about 10 years ago. Not sure if he sold it either, I never heard that he did. He was a hoarder, so I would have guessed not, but you never know. It's a prototype item, maybe 2 or 3 out there, only one with the case, the others just hardware/board only.

And I'm sure there are more than 10 KC's. I bet there are 20 in collector's hands alone, let alone some that must be 'undiscovered'. Every so often they pop up on eBay, but some of those are recirculation of course.

Does the Tutorvision have a different motherboard or is it just a case variation? I imagine it must at least have a different BIOS (Exec) with a different title screen.

It's definitely a different motherboard, from the pictures I've seen. It uses a customized EXEC which changes the on-screen font and adds a few other enhancements, and the chips on the board are different (although I don't know if they added new functionality to the hardware or simply did a cost reduction on the existing chipset).

Does the Tutorvision have a different motherboard or is it just a case variation? I imagine it must at least have a different BIOS (Exec) with a different title screen.

It's definitely a different motherboard, from the pictures I've seen. It uses a customized EXEC which changes the on-screen font and adds a few other enhancements, and the chips on the board are different (although I don't know if they added new functionality to the hardware or simply did a cost reduction on the existing chipset).

The flip side to this question is: Will the Tutorvision games work on a regular Intellivision? I'm guessing no because of the font change, but I'm curious (not too curious though, who wants to play educational games on the Intellivision? ;))

• 3 years later...

Hello!

Would somebody PLEASE consider selling me their COMPLETE Tutorvision package (a working Tutorvision console + the 16 special learning games in their grayish-white cases)?! I'm SERIOUSLY considering collecting a real Intellivision setup once again (I had 2 previous Intellivision units back during the 1980s until the mid 1990s, and had 36 game cartridges, and STICKLER JOYSTICKS affixed on the controllers).

Hello!

Would somebody PLEASE consider selling me their COMPLETE Tutorvision package (a working Tutorvision console + the 16 special learning games in their grayish-white cases)?! I'm SERIOUSLY considering collecting a real Intellivision setup once again (I had 2 previous Intellivision units back during the 1980s until the mid 1990s, and had 36 game cartridges, and STICKLER JOYSTICKS affixed on the controllers).

Hi. I'd love to sell you a Tutorvision since I have an extra that is taking up too much space. I also have an extra Unicorn, if you'd be interested in that.

• Like 5

Hello!

How did you com to the number of 16 Tutorvision games? Afaik there are two or three Tutorvision games known to exist.

Intellivision Lives says they found the source for 14 plus a Canadian variant, eh?

Yeah I just found that page eh. I wonder if that half-height font could be added to the regular Intellivision via a replacement EXEC chip? Of course that would probably wreak havoc with some games.