IGNORED

Omega Race Arcade?

Jess Ragan

I've got a question for Thomas J... would it be all right if I hacked your hack of Omega Race? I want to add a more vector-like score font and change the colors so it looks more like the original.

To be honest, I'd also like to improve Galaxian a little more... the colors just aren't right, and now that I have Glenn's color chart I might be able to hunt them down and change them.

JR

Actually, I kinda wanted to have it distributed on Atari Age as a cartridge, but if you'd rather not I suppose I could hack the original instead. I just think it would be better if the improved graphics and control could be included in one game, rather than two seperate ones.

I'm flexible on this, though. I don't want to step on your toes the way Crihfeld did, so I'm sure we could come to some sort of agreement. I haven't even started work on the Omega Race hack... right now, I'm just fishing for feedback, seeing if it would be worth the trouble.

JR

Hi Jess!

To be honest, I'd also like to improve Galaxian a little more... the colors just aren't right, and now that I have Glenn's color chart I might be able to hunt them down and change them.

In the thread where I posted Galaxian without border, I also pointed out the memory locations of the color writes I think.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi Jess!

You know, Manuel, you really should take some credit for your work on that game. I feel a little guilty that my name is the only one on the cartridge, when you've contributed to the hack as well.

Oh, that's fine by me, no problem. When Alex told me that you are getting a royalty for it, I myself told him that in this case I'd prefer to have my name not associated with the sold cartridge (A principle of mine - I just don't want to make money with games other people wrote...).

And I'm credited on the hacks page, that's good enough ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

I'd also like to improve Galaxian a little more... the colors just aren't right, and now that I have Glenn's color chart I might be able to hunt them down and change them.

Yeah, I was just wondering why they went to the trouble of changing the colors, but not changing them to the right ones! If you could pull off something like what's below, that would be sweet.

2600_galaxian.png

Yoink!  I'll be taking that picture, thank you very much!

Have fun with it. The colors are too saturated for the 2600 palette, but something close should be possible. And in case you're wondering, the look of the "ATARI" text at the top was the result of trying to match the style of the NAMCO logo font.

Now if anyone can make the Galaxians look like this, I'll be impressed. :D

Now if anyone can make the Galaxians look like this, I'll be impressed.  :D

That's a bit much for the 2600 :D

Regarding Omega Race .. You and Thomas need to figure out how to put Driving Controller Spinner control on the right controller port. Please!!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

But how would you thrust? Oh.... with a FOOT PEDAL!!!! Now I'm interested....

Regarding Omega Race .. You and Thomas need to figure out how to put Driving Controller Spinner control on the right controller port.  Please!!

I had started working on that months ago, but it turned out to be a "bit" more complicated (the code is very, uhm, "twisted"). Maybe if I find some time... ;)

Regarding Omega Race .. You and Thomas need to figure out how to put Driving Controller Spinner control on the right controller port.  Please!!

I had started working on that months ago, but it turned out to be a "bit" more complicated (the code is very, uhm, "twisted"). Maybe if I find some time... ;)

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease !!!! :D

Sorry for the off-topic response, but it's sort-of on-topic. Kind of. It deals with moving controllers around.

Anyway... what would be involved in hacking Tac/Scan so that it used the player 1 controller port instead of player 2 for the paddles? Sega created it to use player 2 so you could leave the paddles plugged in for Tac/Scan, and leave a joystick plugged in for everything else, but unfortunately, Stella (at least on the Mac) doesn't support paddles in the player 2 port.

A hack of Tac/Scan where the player 1 port was used instead would hopefully get this game working in Stella. I have no idea how to even begin this (I'm not only not a programmer, I don't even play one on TV), but I have the original cart, and it's not a bad port - all things considered. It'd be great to have this working in Stella.

And... uh... since this is also a port of a vector game, it's kind-of on-topic that way, too. And it used a spinner control. And stuff. :roll:

[quote name="Nathan StrumAnd... uh... since this is also a port of a vector game' date=' it's kind-of on-topic that way, too. And it used a spinner control. And stuff. :roll:[/quote]

Man .. you are stretching it here .. :)

I too would like to see a hack of Tac-Scan to switch the control to port 1. Probably easily done .. and that would preserve a universal rule about paddle games. Thomas?