IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

I'm certain someone else mentioned that the same folks who brought us the Williams Collection and Gottleib Collection (Crave? Farsight?) were working on a new title but I can't find the thread.

Anyway, looks like their plan is to make Pinball Arcade where you get tables from all makers (including Stern, Bally, etc) and there will be downloadable new tables all the time.

Looks awesome!

http://www.pinballarcade.com/

• Like 1

It was here"]http://www.atariage....s-for-2012]here[/url]. Still, good info. If this means I can have Swords of Fury, Royal Rumble, and Black Rose, I'm happy.

The video looks nice, looks like they finally figured out that full brightness without and shadowing on a table looks really really bad!

Edited by Rex Dart

The new tables alone is worth it, IMO, plus it looks like there will be downloadable tables now! Doesn't look like they tweaked the engine at all though. Ball still rolls in the same floating manner and I don't notice any graphical tweaks on the old tables they show.

Another bummer: Judging by the end of the video on their website, I'm guessing this is going to be download-only across all platforms. I will still buy it, but damn.. Oh well.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to get it for 3DS or not. I have heard the Williams Collection on 3DS has some frame rate issues and if this Arcade title is going to be having new tables all the time, no doubt some of the real multiball madness games are going to stutter on the 3DS.

I'll defintiely get it for PS3 though.

I will buy this for sure. The quality is well beyond anything Visual Pinball can do. It's up there with Future Pinball. But I want to play it on my 360 on the 'ol big screen.

Please refrain from any further talking, and accept my offering of currency.

Yeah, and unlike Visual Pinball, no arcane incantations are required for setup

That was the worst. Horrible in fact.

Funny you should mention Visual Pinball, I just loaded it on my laptop this evening. Luckily I documented step-by-step what to do because that seriously was confusing. But it's running fine on my Win 7 machine so that's a relief.

Funny you should mention Visual Pinball, I just loaded it on my laptop this evening. Luckily I documented step-by-step what to do because that seriously was confusing. But it's running fine on my Win 7 machine so that's a relief.

I somehow was able to install Visual Pinball on a netbook without the 200-step process as outlined on the website. I installed plain VP, instaled PinMAME, pointed my ROMs folder to a folder on the network, loaded up a VPT table, and somehow it worked. I did NO patching of vbs files, etc to it, and somehow, it worked. Somehow, it worked.

So VP has mame-like difficulty for getting emulated pinball machines to work. There's only 2 files this time: the ROM zip and the .VPT file.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to get it for 3DS or not. I have heard the Williams Collection on 3DS has some frame rate issues and if this Arcade title is going to be having new tables all the time, no doubt some of the real multiball madness games are going to stutter on the 3DS.

I'll defintiely get it for PS3 though.

The 3DS version does indeed have framerate and other issues. I would say this particular title is an instant-buy for my 360, Wii, or PS3 if all three platforms will have all the tables. Think I'll skip the PC or Mac versions.

As for handhelds, it's iPad, Android, or 3DS. I'd like to get reviews on the 3DS version first before plunging in, in hopes they will improve the engine and include all the tables. If that's the case, I'll go 3DS. If not, iPad or Android for my handheld. Depends on how cheap the app versions will be.

There's no Wii version. It's a downloadable release with tables being added as additional downloads, like Pinball FX. So I assume all platforms will get all the content, unlike how they've handled their past retail releases.

So the Wii doesn't have Fallout 3/NV, and now it's not getting ports of casual games like pinball.

I was wise not to buy the Wii, and instead get the 360.

• Like 1

There's no Wii version. It's a downloadable release with tables being added as additional downloads, like Pinball FX. So I assume all platforms will get all the content, unlike how they've handled their past retail releases.

So the Wii doesn't have Fallout 3/NV, and now it's not getting ports of casual games like pinball.

I was wise not to buy the Wii, and instead get the 360.

Given that Pinball FX is apparently slated for a Wii U release, I would wager that this will also head to the Wii U. I don't believe there will be a Wii version, however.

• 3 months later...

Bumpalumpagus.

This came out on Wednesday. Anyone grab it? I did, and posted a review of it on my website. Check it out if you feel so inclined.

http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/pinball_arcade.htm

Pretty awesome game, just like the previous two. $10 for the full game with 4 tables, whicvh is abotu the same price as the other games, on a per-table basis. I haven't tried it on the smaller screen of the iPhone, though.

Thanks,

Chris

I enjoy Pinball FX2... But it doesn't match up to Pinball Hall of Fame in terms of physics and just feeling like pinball... Pinball Hall of Fame just felt more like real pinball. And it was based on tables I actually played when I was a kid. and if The Pinball Arcade can top the physics of PHoF... man, I'm getting excited!!!

If The Pinball Arcade can snag licenses for some of the awesome pinball games I played as a kid like Terminator 2, Addams Family, The Simpsons, etc., I'll buy every table.

looking at some of the upcoming tables, there's a lot of rehashing from the Gottlieb and Williams collections... I'm willing to pick up Gottlieb tables (maybe) since I didn't get The Gottlieb Collection. but for The Williams Collection, I'm more than happy with the tables in that version. I'd be hard-pressed to buy them again unless the physics and authenticity is off the charts.

So if I was Farsight, I would make sure their business model first focused on new tables to make sure they make money and stay solvent. Then add the tables from the other games later on. Otherwise, people who have been buying these other collections may hold off and then Farsight won't have money to get to the good tables.

Farsight's channel on Youtube has a bunch of videos now. here's one that's full of pure awesome!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOgudjhHaw8

I enjoy Pinball FX2... But it doesn't match up to Pinball Hall of Fame in terms of physics and just feeling like pinball... Pinball Hall of Fame just felt more like real pinball.

I feel the same way. Pinball FX2 is great and I have sucked a lot of time into it for the relatively short period of time I've had it (two months or so), but it just doesn't feel as good to me. The ball can go far to sharp to the left or right when shooting from the tips of the flippers, and the power that the ball comes off of them at is unrealistic. I also don't care for the basic sound effects for basic sounds, like the ball bouncing around the table. It sounds like it's rolling around inside a tupperware container, heh.