IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

I think I really need to buy seasons 3-7 on Xbox One while I still can. I keep going back and forth on this, but there's really no choice. I need to own these virtual tables in the long term.

I wonder if they will get the licenses back some day and offer them again. This is probably increasing their sales at the moment.

Yeah, I'm kind of waiting until it's closer to the deadline...I know they said they're not allowed to put anything on sale, but I'm kind of hoping they might make some kind of "mistake" =)

I mean, there was that one time where they accidentally put one of the seasons on sale twice (so it had the percent off on top of another percent off). I can hope!

I've decided just not to do anything really with it. I have enough tables as it is from the early seasons over 3 versions as it is and I really don't think the attitude problem the new owners of Williams/Bally deserve a damn thing at this rate on further sales.

• Like 1

Hey does anyone know what the "rare" pinball tables are? I've been tempted to get Cactus Canyon cuz I hear the real machine is rare so I doubt I'll ever see the physical machine but then again it doesn't look like too much fun.

KLOV might give you a rough idea https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=16270

I see so few real pinball machines (and video arcade cabinets, for that matter) that they're all "rare" to me.

I don't feel that the point is to collect these, but rather play and experience them, but I guess everyone's different.

• Like 3

Hey does anyone know what the "rare" pinball tables are? I've been tempted to get Cactus Canyon cuz I hear the real machine is rare so I doubt I'll ever see the physical machine but then again it doesn't look like too much fun.

I'd Google it but that's tricky.

The rarest pinball game featured on Pinball Arcade is Going Nuts, with only ten units manufactured.

Every table is rare compared to software. A HUGE run is over 10k, and that would be split across continents. At those numbers, it is amazing they didn't have a recycling program to just go collect the old machines and reuse them. Would have been feasible (but not profitable). I'm sometimes amazed we ever see any of these machines IRL.

• Like 2

Either I never noticed it before, or Wikipedia just added a notation for each table that denotes if it's been altered or not. Does anyone know of anywhere that details what modifications Farsight had to make?

I knew of 3 or 4 of these, but apparently a dozen tables had changes from the real deal. Indianapolis 500 for example is one I'm curious about. I thought maybe the voices were altered, but I can clearly still hear Paul Page and Bobby Unser (The 3rd voice doesn't sound so much like the late Tom Carnegie, the public address announcer of the the Indianapolis 500 for fifty years; But I can't say for sure that it's not).

Edited by Atariboy

Does anyone know if it's worth it to pay the few extra bucks for the "Pro" upgrade or is it a waste of money?

I have the Pro upgrade on a few tables, and I can't ever remember using it. I think you get to adjust the actual table settings which can be good, but you definitely don't need it.

• Like 1

Pro mode gives you a free view camera to examine the table, manual ball placement, pro tips, and access to the game's operator menu. Using any of the Pro mode features deactivates leaderboards and goals progress.

I don't think Pro mode offers anything special for most tables, but there are a few that let you toggle 'Family Mode' audio in the operator menu:

- Scared Stiff has some lewd alternate audio if you disable family mode. There's enough of a difference that it might be the only table that's worth buying the Pro upgrade.

- Attack From Mars is set to family mode by default too, but disabling it only adds a few alternate audio clips... none of them very funny/offensive.

- Bride of Pinbot has a lewd alternate audio mode, but there is no Pro upgrade available for that table. :(

- Medieval Madness has a family mode setting, but family mode is already disabled with the standard release... the Pro upgrade would let you enable family mode which removes a lot of the audio.

EDIT: There might be a family mode option on some of the tables in newer seasons too... all the info I've seen about this is from the early days of PA.

Edited by boog
  • Like 3

I don't feel the Pro offers any compelling enough upgrades. The regular season packs are expensive enough for me at this point. Mostly because I've fallen behind. I dropped off during the great Xbox 360 fiasco, and only picked up one season initially when it launched on Xbox One.

• Like 1

Speaking of Scared Stiff, I can't wait until we get a console where the tables will truly look like the real thing. Compare this video with the cartoony look we're still getting on consoles like the PS4:

youtube.com/watch?v=nMcVuMD-qrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcVuMD-qrk

I don't know what they'll have to do to make it look like it does in that video or in person with your own eyeballs, but I hope it happens with the next batch of consoles.

• Like 1

- Bride of Pinbot has a lewd alternate audio mode, but there is no Pro upgrade available for that table. :(

That is a real downer. IIRC, Mideval Madness and Bride of Pinbot came together as pack one season one. Two of the best tables in the game. Disappointed I'll never get to hear the audio enhancements... :sad:

Between Bride of Pinbot and Xenon, imo two of the sexiest tables available, though both are one-trick ponies, with the shuttle ramp in Bride and the tube shot in xenon. Still both awesome tables with a sexy theme. Xenon's voice is almost hypnotic.

And tons of clever double entendres in Scared Stiff that are lost without pro mode. I probably lost a number of table goals and leaderboard posts due to disabling the kid friendly mode in that game. Nothing worse than pg-13 or T rating though.

At the time Scared Stiff was released, the ESRB did not allow individually rated dlc so all dlc packs had to be e10. Farsight threw us a bone by allowing pro mode to unlock the uncensored audio, but it is moot now that tpa has a teen rating and the williams stuff is getting delisted. And the playfield in xenon has tits in it but since they are artistically rendered, it still qualified for a teen rating.

Also be sure to download the Addam's Family Ball Pack for $5 as the hand is an easter egg that lets you place the ball anywhere on any table, with or without Pro mode. Obviously you can't post goals or leaderboards with it.

That's a Gottlieb table though so it's not Goin' anywhere.

I am aware of this, but the poster specifically asked which featured tables were rarest in real life. Someone was very generous to lend their working table to Farsight for digitization.

Goin' Nutz is a very unique table as it relies on a timer mechanic rather than ball-in-play count to determine when gameplay ends. It's more of a historical curiousity than a genuinely fun playing table, but I'm glad they included it.

I played it for hours the night it released and scored a high score of 1,998,000 points or so. I kept trying to crack 2 million but got frustrated and quit. Haven't played it since. I had the highest leaderboard ranking of any table I own between Ouya and Wii-U.

there are a few that let you toggle 'Family Mode' audio in the operator menu:

- Scared Stiff has some lewd alternate audio if you disable family mode. There's enough of a difference that it might be the only table that's worth buying the Pro upgrade.

Yup it's true, I made a "how to" video if anyone wants to know more.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7j4nIvW5a0

• Like 3

Does anyone know of anywhere that details what modifications Farsight had to make?

I know they couldn't get the rights to use Christopher Lloyd's likeness for the Addams Family table.

Also, all of the Sega tables (now owned by Stern) had their branding removed, including Sega logos, Sonic images, etc.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Does anyone know of anywhere that details what modifications Farsight had to make?

The Data East tables (also owned by Stern) had the Data East logos removed.

Some of the other tables removed corporate logos from the playfield art. The real table of Indianapolis 500 has the 'Goodyear' blimp on the playfield... the PA version changed it to the 'Indy 500' blimp. Similar with any corporate logos on the cars/uniforms in Indianapolis 500, No Fear, etc. No Fear even changed the table selection icon so the stock car no longer has the Valvoline logo on the hood.

• Like 1

Annoys me that I can't buy the upgrade for Scared Stiff without first buying table pack 7.

I own it already, but it's on a physical disc and without a PS4 at the moment to make the purchase from within the Pinball Arcade app with the season 1 disc inserted, I'm out of luck. I've bought some DLC here and there before actually owning the base game, and was never locked out of doing so.

So it means $8 to buy the pro version of table pack 7 instead of $4 for the upgrade that I could've applied later to the disc version. Probably going to just let this one pass.

Edited by Atariboy

Looks like you have to enable naughty mode on Scared Stiff every time you go to play it. It doesn't seem to remember your changes after playing another pinball game. There's not much of a difference between naughty mode and prissy mode, so all the steps it takes to find naughty mode and enable it doesn't seem to be worth it.

• Like 4