IGNORED

WORST Atari coin-op

Jess Ragan

I hate to be a downer here, but I just had to post this topic. What's the worst arcade game Atari ever released?

For me, the answer's easy... Skull and Crossbones. Take sloppy player movement, awkward control, repetitive gameplay, amateurish graphics, and the most obnoxious talking bird ever to appear in a video game, and you've got a dud that would embarass even the most shameless Tramiel.

Primal Rage rates down there, too. It looks like some cheeseball Harryhousen film and the control scheme seems designed to discourage people from using special moves, an important part of any fighting game. It almost makes me glad that Vicious Circle wasn't released (although I must admit, I'm morbidly curious about that one...).

JR

Out of all the Atari game's I've played, I must say that I never really cared for <asbestos underwear> Centipede. I enjoyed Millipede far more, but even if Millipede had never existed, I still couldn't get into Centipede. </asbestos underwear>

here's where you can take a look at all the games Atari put out:

http://www.klov.com/manuf_detail.php?lette...r=A&manuf_id=47

http://www.klov.com/manuf_detail.php?lette...r=A&manuf_id=48

I haven't played a bunch of these, but I've never liked Pitfighter because I ran into after Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, and Street Fighter so it never did anything for me.

Skull and Crossbones?  Never heard of it (maybe 'cause it sucked?).  What do you have to do in that one?

Well, I liked it!

http://www.ataritimes.com/arcade/reviews/r...crossbones.html

Of the Atari arcade games I've actually played, I'd have to say that Relief Pitcher is my least favorite. I could never figure out those weird controls!

I think it would have to be one of the classics I so dearly love. Even though I think there are only a handful of true "fans" for these machinesI really believe the bronze age collection will be of value in the future (pre Space Invader- black and white games). While Computer Space BROKEN sold for 6 Grand this last week, it is no winner as far as game play goes. Its all about nostalgia.

I think Atari's worst playing game would be Shark Jaws. Lousy idea, not much fun, but man would I love to own one. Looks cool as anything, neat idea just not much fun.

Cassidy

good review, Greg, I never noticed you had arcade reviews on your site, are they newer? I also liked your Space Duel review, I spent more quarters on that than Asteroids, mainly because I spent hours playing 2600 Asteroids at home :)

Skull and Crossbones?  Never heard of it (maybe 'cause it sucked?).  What do you have to do in that one?

Well, I liked it!

http://www.ataritimes.com/arcade/reviews/r...crossbones.html

Of the Atari arcade games I've actually played, I'd have to say that Relief Pitcher is my least favorite. I could never figure out those weird controls!

good review, Greg, I never noticed you had arcade reviews on your site, are they newer?  I also liked your Space Duel review, I spent more quarters on that than Asteroids, mainly because I spent hours playing 2600 Asteroids at home :)

Most were added in the 2002 year.

Check http://www.ataritimes.com/arcade/reviews because I just revamped that page with more scores. I'd LIKE to add more (as I've done with the consoles) to make it more complete. I've still gotta create a form for it though...

BTW, Space Duel was submitted by Chris Federico. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I really liked Primal Rage and I'm surprised that so many people said that it was so bad.

Out of all of the Atari games that I have played, I would have to say that the one that I probably would not pay to play in an arcade today is Lunar Lander. It's a great game, and I've played the real thing on freeplay in a few places, but it isn't captivating enough to grab a quarter or three from me in the same way that a Tempest, Asteriods, Centipede or something like that could.

The absolute worst Atari arcade game has to be Cops! It was a FMV peice of crap game based on the TV show. It was released in like 94' or 95' by Atari Games. Totally craptacular! You would drive from one crime scene to the next and have a shootout, all in FMV. It sounds OK, but the gameplay was just terrible.