IGNORED

Remaining OS-B games still not fixed to be XL friendly?

ACML

The list has dwindled to a few, but there is one game I can't believe never got fixed for the XL OS. That title is Ghost Hunter which was an early, but decent Pacman knock-off. I believe it is the only simultaneous two player capable Pacman type game. It was one of the first games I bought on cassette for my 16K 400 in early 1982.

The Mule I have on floppy and others I've used work fine but they're all cracked.

The issue with XL/XE is that only 2 players can play with joysticks, 3 if paddles are used.

No idea if there was any issues with the original on XL/XE, IIRC EA games were generally OK in that regard.

The list has dwindled to a few, but there is one game I can't believe never got fixed for the XL OS. That title is Ghost Hunter which was an early, but decent Pacman knock-off. I believe it is the only simultaneous two player capable Pacman type game. It was one of the first games I bought on cassette for my 16K 400 in early 1982.

I have a special spot for Ghost Hunter in my heart as well for the same exact reason. I bought Ghost Hunter on tape when it first came out for my 400 and LOVED it to death. Came in a plastic baggie. I don't think that PacMan by Atari had been released yet. Just awesome to see another who bought it new back in the day.

This Ghost Hunter you speak of probably got overlooked because there is a platform game with the same name, and it's a classic.

Edit: Actually, I just went to the FANDAL site and did a search for "ghost hunter" and your pac-man clone came up instead of th platformer I'm remembering...Ghost Chaser was what I was thinking of...still, great game, and that Ghost Hunter looks to be a good clone of Pac-Mand too! Sorry nothing to do with OS-B...

http://atari.fandal....&butt_details_x=

http://atari.fandal....&butt_details_x=

Edited by Gunstar

Well,

here are some Atari 800 only games I have found with a fast search (less than 10 seconds) in my collection. Please note, that the Qbert game is not the original Q-Bert, just a clone. Maybe someone can patch them for the XL/XE machines...

I know for sure I have more A800-only games inmy collection, but I have to dig deeper and/or search a little longer for them. Alternatively, one may try searching the Homesoft and Fandal library of games, e.g. here (OS-B):

http://atari.fandal....utt_details_x=x

and here (OS-A):

http://atari.fandal....utt_details_x=x

-Andreas Koch.

Dark Star.zip

GREENER.zip

Qbert.zip

Satarn Saturn.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I think the main reason 800 software that has problems running on XL/XE machines is becuase it's just simpler to load up an OS tranlator like FIX XL then just load up the game from there. I've never craved for any 800 only game to be fixed (and there are a few I like but no longer have an 800), I just boot the good-old translator disk first! Is this so difficult for everyone? Besides the very few cartridge 800 games (most of which have file versions now, so a translator works fine).

I have a special spot for Ghost Hunter in my heart as well for the same exact reason. I bought Ghost Hunter on tape when it first came out for my 400 and LOVED it to death. Came in a plastic baggie. I don't think that PacMan by Atari had been released yet. Just awesome to see another who bought it new back in the day.
Wow, Ghost Hunter! One of my favourite games, was also one of my first back in Summer '83 when I got my 16k 400. And guess what I found in a job lot of disks recently, still in it's original baggie! (and it works, woo hoo!)

post-24505-0-82115000-1319906723_thumb.jpg

post-24505-0-97760400-1319906738_thumb.jpg

post-24505-0-64198900-1319906760_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh wow, sweet! Seeing that baggie brings back memories for me. I remember flying to DC to be with my dad for a couple of weeks. I went to the computer store near him that had all sorts of cool things. I played Protector there and bought Ghost Hunter. I haven't seen the instructions since I was a kid, so seeing them is sort of surreal. I bought it on tape though.

Oh wow, sweet! Seeing that baggie brings back memories for me. I remember flying to DC to be with my dad for a couple of weeks. I went to the computer store near him that had all sorts of cool things. I played Protector there and bought Ghost Hunter. I haven't seen the instructions since I was a kid, so seeing them is sort of surreal. I bought it on tape though.

I've been collecting for a few years now, trying to buy the games I couldn't afford back in '83! The 'baggie' games seem to be the rarest due to their packaging, I also have Crypts of Terror by Inhome Software in disk and tape 'baggie' format, another favourite of mine! Other baggies I have are Bug Attack by Cavalier and Ghostly Manor by subLOGIC. Have been searching high and low for other 'baggies', such as Protector, early Shamus release, cassette version of Night Mission Pinball,etc. If anybody has them for sale, PM me!

I was unable to locate a correctly playing version of Seafox (i.e. involving the capability of your submarine to release horizontal torpedoes instead of three vertical ones when the fire button is pressed for a longer period) for XL/XE. The version on Atarimania plays correctly, but is OS-B only. Any XL/XE version I could find has the torpedo bug.

Thorsten

• 2 months later...

I was unable to locate a correctly playing version of Seafox (i.e. involving the capability of your submarine to release horizontal torpedoes instead of three vertical ones when the fire button is pressed for a longer period) for XL/XE. The version on Atarimania plays correctly, but is OS-B only. Any XL/XE version I could find has the torpedo bug.

Thorsten

:cool: Will have to try Sea Fox with the translator (or dig out the 800!)

I'd imagine probably every game has been fixed but not all exist in public archives.

It's probably something that should be attended to - it's kinda ridiculous still having those few non-cart games that won't work on a standard XL.

Here's the games that I think still haven't been patched:

Atarian Attack

Black Hawk - can someone confirm patched ver plays ok on XL/XE? It loads but I'm not sure it's right but I never played it before!]

Crossfire - so the keyboard controls work on XL/XE allowing fire & move in different directions simultaneously

Galactic Explorer

Ghost Hunter I/II

Hunchback

Kamikaze

Lunar Leeper - existing fixed file versions don't play past level 1

K-Razy Kritters

MASH

Match UP

Jumping Jack's Big Adventure

QBert (ver with the menu)

Space Combat

Space Zap

Crush Crumble and Chomp and plenty of BASIC programs too (e.g. Black Jack).

2nd thoughts I searched Fandal [this is a bit out of date :twisted: ;) - I've marked those I know]

OS/B

Acrobat (Muenzenloher)

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves

Asteroids II

Atarian Attack

Attack at EP-CYG-4

Blackhawk [fixed]

Blackjack

Blockbuster

Boulders and Bombs

Caves of Rigel

Chaos

Checker King

Chopperoid

Cleaver

Commbat

Computer Acquire

Crush Crumble and Chomp

Dancing Feats (demo)

Eggnapper

Everything Goes

Fastgammon

Final Flight!

G.F.S. Sorceress

Galactic Explorer

Galaxy Defender

Ghost Hunter

Greener Than You Think!

Gunfight (H. C. Wagner)

Hunch Back

Jaw Breaker II

Jeepers Creepers

Juggler [patched]

K-Razy Kritters

Kamikaze

Lifespan

Lucifer's Realm

Lunar Leeper

M*A*S*H

M-ss-ng L-nks

MasterType

Match Up!

Meltdown

Micro Sailing

Microchess

Microworld

Mission: Asteroid

Monster Maze

Nautilus [fixed]

Pool 1.5

Pool 400

Poussinet

Probe One

Q'Bert

Renaissance

Reversal

Rome and the Barbarians

Satarn Saturn

Sentinel

Seven Card Stud [runs on XE]

Shadow World [fixed]

Shoot

Shooting Gallery

Simulated Computer II

Skiing

Slime [fixed]

Sound in Stereo (demo)

Space Combat

Space Zap

Star Sentry

Star Warrior

Tank Battle

Telespiel

The Great Maine to California Race

The Sands of Egypt

The Stone of Sisyphus

Timebound

Ultima I

Ulysses and the Golden Fleece

World History

OS/A

Dark Star

Ice Cap

Jumping Jacks Big Adventure

Magic Micro Mission

Squash

Get cracking coders and someone please make a file version of Hunchback while they're at it :D