IGNORED

Atari 2600 Boulder Dash (R) Announced!

Albert

That's one reason for my answer. I am afraid if I start signing one cart, I will soon have to sign (and handle!) lots of carts. Also I am not a friend of creating artificial rarity. With just 250 copies BD is already artificially rare enough for my taste.

The only copy I will ever sign is the one for Andre Bolfing.

I tend to not pay much attention to extremely limited editions of things. Whether it be a classic car or classic game. They are as hard to service as they are to acquire. While I enjoy reading about the technical achievements and highlights and all that; I just lose interest when there are hoops to jump through and purchase times to be met. I tend to think a limited edition of whatever is designed to drum up business and artificially create more demand.

I learned this with through purchasing electronics and cars. Soon enough the gadget is outdated. Soon enough the SE badge loses its chrome finish and falls off. Those $500 factory applied pinstripes always start peeling! The standard basic edition of whatever it is that comes out a year or two later is usually a better-performing product overall anyways. And cheaper.

Games are this way in the fun quotient they achieve. But I'm into retrogaming, so the exact opposite rings true - the older the game the better I like it.

I suppose in the specific case of BoulderDash I will enjoy it on the Apple II, there's I,II,Super, and a Construction Kit. Back in the day this was one of my favorite games. I logged time with it on the Atari 800 also. So I have two avenues by which to enjoy it. With an added bonus of genuine nostalgia! Even more of a bonus considering it's one of the 4,000+ original disks in my Apple 2 pile. When it comes to gaming nostalgia isn't something that can't be as easily made today as compared to back in the 70's and 80's.

1) I considered it a compliment that I was asked to sign the copy of Boulder Dash that I personally sold. Nothing about rarity or artificial markets.

2) Boulder Dash is not so much a "limited edition". We had to choose some quantity which we thought we could sell, and to which First Star Software would agree so that we could pay them their royalties *in advance*. The 250 number seemed to be a best-guess of what we could sell (and remember it took nearly a year to sell these) at the price that was required to ensure that we covered our costs and didn't lose money. If you look at BD as a "limited edition" thinking it was an artificial construct to enhance rarity; well you're totally wrong. There was a legally binding agreement, and we had to front ALL money for production costs AND royalties. The 250 was more than reasonable, and everyone had a huge amount of time to purchase if they wanted a copy.

The '2600 version is a bit more than "another Boulder Dash". It was generally agreed, around a decade ago, that the title would never be seen on the '2600. So it's the result of lots of very hard work by Thomas and myself, just to show it could be done. I really don't care much if people think it's too expensive, or that we should have made more, or that it's better on other platforms. It is our very best effort to bring the game to the '2600 and at the same time give everyone a fair and reasonable chance to own a copy, particularly within the strict licensing environment we were operating under. We did things properly; legally, morally and ethically. As I've said before, if you DO want a copy, then bid on the eBay ones that show up from time to time. There won't be a re-release, so they're bound to hold their value.

Cheers

A

• Like 4

Well even though the price on ebay isnt THAT high after all, its not sold yet.

So I guess it's the standard whining of people that you can't circumvent, not matter what. 1000 copies or 10$ each, anyway :)

I see BoulderDash as one prime example not only of what can be accomplished on the 2600 (there are others too, (on smaller scale though :)) but also on what can actually be arranged.

That is me talking with a BoulderDash 2600 on my desk - otherwise I'd blame you for all kinds of things probably :)

Commenting in this forum seems oddly self serving but here we go anyway. I am pretty new to retro gaming and I feel like a kid in a candy store so far. I am amazed that this community gives the average gamer the ability to communicate with the programmers of these great games that go beyond what was imagined possible. I looked for a couple months to find a copy of boulder dash 2600 and I was thrilled to see a copy for sale on atariage. These games are limited in quantity I think because retro gaming isn't as big as mainstream gaming yet. I really loved playing boulder dash 2600 and I contemplated keeping it forever. But seeing as my financial priorities are my family right now I am selling this game to fund my new interest to play games on the colecovision.

Commenting in this forum seems oddly self serving but here we go anyway. I am pretty new to retro gaming and I feel like a kid in a candy store so far. I am amazed that this community gives the average gamer the ability to communicate with the programmers of these great games that go beyond what was imagined possible. I looked for a couple months to find a copy of boulder dash 2600 and I was thrilled to see a copy for sale on atariage. These games are limited in quantity I think because retro gaming isn't as big as mainstream gaming yet. I really loved playing boulder dash 2600 and I contemplated keeping it forever. But seeing as my financial priorities are my family right now I am selling this game to fund my new interest to play games on the colecovision.

They appear from time to time. I sold mine last month. Pity letting that one go but despite it's technical marvel it's not the best playing homebrew in my collection (not to mention I generally such at it) and I needed the money so I let it go for $125. :_(

• 1 month later...

Sad to say, that's the drawback with limited homebrew releases like this. They are only for sale for a short time, and when it's gone it's gone. The only way to get the game is by online source (EBay, etc.) or buying/trading for it from another collector. It sucks if you're months or years late to the scene and hear about it, but that's what it is. And this is not limited to the 2600 scene either -- all consoles go through this with homebrews. What makes it MORE difficult for Boulder Dash is that due to the licencing that had to happen to make this official, no more copies will ever be made nor will the ROM be released. I was curious to check the game out myself, but I'll settle for YouTube videos. :)

I been talking with FSS. It seems thats its everything about collectors, money and Ebay... Its not about gaming...

---

I'm sorry to say that since we promised the original purchasers of the Atari 2600 version of Boulder Dash that there would only be a limited production of 250 cartridges we need to honor that promise despite the continued requests for us to produce more.
We agree that Andrew and Thomas did an AMAZING job getting the game to work as well as they did on the 2600 and greatly appreciate your kind words and continued interest in Boulder Dash.
---

FSS, Andrew and Thomas would all have to agree to release more copies and none of us feel that would be fair to the collectors who bought the 250 copies with the understanding that it was a limited edition.
> I dont know who are orginal purachers, but there is many people who are
> very intrested get copy of this game and we cant even get ROM file to
> play it with emulator.
We continue to support Boulder Dash with new sequels.
As might have read in the January 2014 issue of Retro Gamer 2014 is the 30th Anniversary of Boulder Dash and we have a brand new sequel in the works.
So, we can not very well protect our Intellectual property and support our new partners if we make ROMs of other versions available for play on emulators, etc.
This is a difficult balance for us! We greatly appreciate the long time support of many of our fans and feel that in the long run it is better to protect the IP rights ... so that we can keep bringing out new games in the series with new features such as diagonal walls and movement as will be the case in the latest version coming this years. (Which by the way WILL include a cave/level editor!)
Same time Ebay prizes are getting sky high.
This is one of the things that collectors who bought the 250 cartridges have come to expect and why a limited edition is of interest to them I guess.