IGNORED

HSC Round 4.10: Kangaroo

Kangaroo

A mother kangaroo must climb through the treetops trying to rescue her son while punching out pink monkeys that throw apples at her. The kangaroo may eat fruit along the way to receive points.

Game Information

Game Name: Kangaroo

Released By: Atari, 1982

MAME ROMset: Kangaroo

Dip Switches: Lives: 3; Difficulty: Easy; Bonus Life: 20000 40000

Chosen By: patbb, roadrunner

ROM Location:

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: n/a

Competition ends Sunday, November 6 @ 12PM EDT

Leaderboard

1. 188,100 patbb

2. 96,500 M.A.M.E Offender

3. 67,600 Cynicaster

4. 40,200 mightymage

5. 30,300 bigbee99

6. 19,400 retrorussell

7. 18,900 Barra

8. 11,100 LarcenTyler

9. 10,100 roadrunner

Season Standings

Calculations through round 9

1. bigbee99 174

2. patbb 138

3. Cynicaster 126

4. M.A.M.E Offender 121

5. mr. toast 97

6. richard stewart 63

7. kojr 39

7. keilbaca 39

9. roadrunner 36

10. LarcenTyler 24

11. JohnnyBlaze 11

12. NE146 8

13. retrorussell 5

14. Barra 4

14. rmaerz 4

Edited by rmaerz

40 200

this DANG game should never been made i man up to jump who the hell puts up to jump in a game with ladders

I agree. For the Atari 2600 and other single-button controller games it's one thing. But in the arcade? I don't think so...

Made it to the last level.

Edited by LarcenTyler

I dont mean to offend anyone, but this game is horrible! I mean did that apple core really just bounce and kill me? :P Anyway, 11400. Not sure if I'll play this again as K9 has just started at MARP, and this game stinks. Lol

I don't think the game for K9 is any better :P

I've always been fascinated with this game but never took the time to learn it. I guess now's the time.

B

Edited by bigbee99

Cmon, Barra. Give this one a chance. You have to think outside the "box" with Kangaroo.

@ Roadrunner, you'll find the boxing gorilla is a way to rack up lotsa points. Remember, the gorilla cannot kill you, he can only take your boxing gloves away. The gorilla has 4 different attack moves that he uses on you. You must go on defense during his attack, then when he leaves an opening, give him a slug in the gut to make him go flying. Each time you do so earns you 800pts. Actually, if you are in the middle of the board, you can hit him as much as 3 times before he blasts thru to the other side of the screen.

post-29539-0-90462000-1320065439_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of me earning 800 pts by punching out the big man:

post-29539-0-02832900-1320065476_thumb.jpg

@bigbee: I actually quite like the K9 game. Guess we have different tastes, eh? :D

@ MAME Offender. Ok you've twisted my arm. I'll go back and give the gorilla a punch :P

Edit: just noticed my dips werent changed so I wouldnt have got a bonus life. Lucky Im rubbish at this game and cant reach 20k

Edited by Barra

Alright - I'm all caught up: the season standings, leaderboard and electronic scoreboard have all been updated.

Rob, you plan on posting any scores this season, or are you spread too thin with all of your Retrogaming commitments? :)

The short of it is that when I have time for a break from magazine-related activities I will be back posting scores (but only for games that I like).

I still have time to run the HSC, if you guys don't mind.

Alright - I'm all caught up: the season standings, leaderboard and electronic scoreboard have all been updated.

Rob, you plan on posting any scores this season, or are you spread too thin with all of your Retrogaming commitments?

The short of it is that when I have time for a break from magazine-related activities I will be back posting scores (but only for games that I like).

Mind? You run a pretty tight ship here, and we need somebody like that, so my vote is that so long as you are willing to donate your time, the job is yours.

Rob, you plan on posting any scores this season, or are you spread too thin with all of your Retrogaming commitments?

Mind? You run a pretty tight ship here, and we need somebody like that, so my vote is that so long as you are willing to donate your time, the job is yours.

"

The game Kangaroo has a striking similarity to the ever-so-popular Donkey Kong.

The object of the game is to get your way to the top part of the screen to save a princess\baby kangaroo. You both jump, collect bonus items, climb ladders, and dodge enemies. They both have 4 different levels of play. They both have the power to hammer/box their enemies. Donkey Kong has a firm limit as to how much and when you can use the power(hammer), whereas Kangaroo gives you the power(glove) all the time. They both award bonus points, which are both in increments of 100. Kangaroo begins with 2000 points counting down to zero, DK starts in Round 1at 5000 and counts slow down to zero. Round 2 has 6000 and counts down quicker than Round 1. It follows with 7000 in 3 and 8000 on 4 and stops increasing there. Kangaroo's seconds tend to last significantly longer than Donkey Kong's thus making it virtually the same time in seconds.

Ironically enough, Kangaroo uses up to jump, instead of a button (which apparently doesn't jive with Mr. Stewart) so both games have one button. Kangaroo, however, has the superior 8 way joystick control, compared to DK's 4 way control.

If you were to compare Kangaroo with Donkey Kong on difficulty, my guess is The Kong. I'm not entirely sure of this guess, seeing that I'm a beginner at Kangaroo and have only made it to the 3 rd level. Donkey Kong I've gotten to the 5th.

A huge difference between these two is success. Donkey Kong has had chart topping success, going on to make a ton of money. Kangaroo limped through its beginning and never really caught on for some reason.

It was a secret clone of Donkey Kong.

It looks like richard stewart signed in with his other account. :ponder:

yeah well...the points will be credited to mightymage and not richard stewart. And scores will not be accepted from richard stewart for this round because it will count as two players and therefore taking points away from another.