IGNORED

Atari Flashback 3

Take a look at Bill's indepth video review: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/4346

The FB3 has an ARM processor and uses emulation to run ROMs. It sounds like the emulation is decent but not perfect. The console itself has ports on the front (nice) and 60 games rather than 40 as on the FB2/2+.

Other than that, it doesn't really sound like it gives you any improvement on the FB2, and it apparently can't be hacked to support cartridges as the FB2 can. The MSRP is $60, but I'm not sure I would even pay $40. My opinion is that unless you really want to play 2600 games on a composite-only display, you're better off spending your $60 on an old authentic 2600.

However, I haven't played with one. It would be interesting to hear opinions from folks who own one.

The Flashback2 had controllers similar to the 7800 yet smaller(the worst controllers ever made)...the Flashback2 has full size 2600 controllers, and normal controller ports, so if you had old controllers or a genesis controller laying around you could use that...other than Flashback2 being way out of print cant think of a good reason to get other than it being a cool gift for an Atari Fan.

They are 60 games you can play in front of your kid and have his jaw draop when the games are not even close to what his Leapfrog can do.

The 60 games are a weird selection since their is no Pac-Man games, Q-Bert, or hardly any of the arcade clones of the day instead you get this...

The Classic is back! ATARI Flashback® 3 is the return of the ever popular Atari games inside a classic game console with two ATARI Flashback® 2600 controllers. There are 60 Atari games built-in that defined a generation! Game Titles: 3D Tic-Tac-Toe, Adventure, Adventure II, Air·Sea Battle, Aquaventure, Asteroids®, Backgammon, Basketball, Battlezone®, Bowling, Canyon BomberTM, Centipede®, Championship Soccer, Circus AtariTM, Combat®, Combat® 2, Demons to DiamondsTM, Desert Falcon®, Dodge 'Em, Double DunkTM, Fatal Run, Flag Capture, Frog Pond, Fun With Numbers, Golf, Gravitar®, Hangman, Haunted HouseTM, Home Run, Human CannonballTM, Maze Craze, Miniature Golf, Missile Command®, Night DriverTM, Off The Wall, Outlaw, Realsports® Baseball, Realsports® Basketball, Realsports® Soccer, Realsports® Volleyball, SaboteurTM, Save Mary, Secret Quest, Sky Diver, Space War, Sprintmaster, Star Ship, Steeplechase, Submarine Commander, Super Baseball, Super Breakout®, Super Football, Surround, Swordquest: EarthworldTM, Swordquest: FireworldTM, Video Checkers, Video Chess, Video Pinball, Wizard, Yars' Revenge®

But they are out saw one at Walgreen's this week, and if you had me on your CHristmas list, it would be a great gift, they will make money, the similar Sega one form last year has a sd-slot, so you could download games Atari didn't do this for some reason, at least if they did their is no indication on the box

• 3 weeks later...

I wish i could get it for $15! My local Dollar General won't be selling one until Thursday morning when they go on sale for $25. Wallgreens is selling their for $29.99 locally starting today.

I'm very curious about it.. I just wonder if some of the popular hacks and new games like Lead, Juno First, Bolderdash and (proably not) Frantic will play on it.

If it sells well and people start checking out Atariage for roms, compatibility is something all programmers might need to think about.

Edited by WildBillTX

Mental note to trin, Hoard even more 2600 consoles as $$$ permits.

Just curious why?

Because the FB3 sucks. And for almost the same amount of money you could get a 'real' Atari. And since they 'still' can't make one as good as the original (and they may never get it right) I figure three or four more 2600's should last me the rest of my life. Just in case,,, just say'n...:)

Mental note to trin, Hoard even more 2600 consoles as $$$ permits.

Just curious why?

Because the FB3 sucks. And for almost the same amount of money you could get a 'real' Atari. And since they 'still' can't make one as good as the original (and they may never get it right) I figure three or four more 2600's should last me the rest of my life. Just in case,,, just say'n... :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I respect "users" opinions best. Was thinking of getting one. Again Thanks.

Pretty sure games like:

Adventure II, Aquaventure, Combat 2, Desert Falcon, Double Dunk, Fatal Run, Frog Pond, Off The Wall, Saboteur, Save Mary, Secret Quest and Wizard didn't "define a generation". :ponder: :lol:

Yeah, what a goofy smattering of games here. Include an "edutainment" title such as Fun with Numbers but leave out Blackjack when you know your core audience is all grown up? And I understand why 3rd party titles such as Activision or Imagic wouldn't have made the cut, but what happened to Atari's originally licensed games? Space Invaders, Berzerk, Defender, Stargate, Pac-Man, etc? Guess the rights to include those under an Atari banner have expired. Or something.

Just picked up a FB3 at a Dollar General in southern Ohio for $15. It's some kind of pre-black Friday sale going on from Nov 20-23. I'd have passed at it's normal price of $40, but I couldn't pass this up when I saw it checking out. Just fyi.

You must have got lucky or knew somebody there because their ad clearly shows a Jakks Pacific Atari Joystick for $15 from Sunday, November 20th-Wednesday, November 23rd, while the Atari Flashback 3 is $25 only on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24th.

http://www2.dollarge...cular-HTML.aspx

Edited by TrekkiELO

My problem with it is that it is an emulator. What's the point? We have stella for this. And there is no old school cartrige slot. And the paddle support..... sigh:( It makes it a novelty at best.
So not worth it?
Not really. I'd really like to say yes... :( Some cheap 2600A and a harmony cart would be the way to go!:)

Besides, Knowing there is a real 6507 under the hood gives a good feeling!:)

Edited by Trinity

My problem with it is that it is an emulator. What's the point? We have stella for this. And there is no old school cartrige slot. And the paddle support..... sigh:( It makes it a novelty at best.
So not worth it?
Not really. I'd really like to say yes... :( Some cheap 2600A and a harmony cart would be the way to go! :)

Besides, Knowing there is a real 6507 under the hood gives a good feeling! :)

Thanks for the advice. There's just something about playing on the original! Thanks again!

I think that this would be decent for someone who might not care if emulation is used, or never had the original growing up. The hardcore are never going to be happy with something like this. While we all wish Legacy would have had the okay to make this, we have the FB2 and 2+. Perhaps for a kid, or someone who when the 2600 was out was a casual gamer, this would do fine for whats available. I'm pretty sure those people already bought the Flashback 2 though... we'll just have to see how well these things sell this holiday season if a FB4 ever will be made.

I don't see how this will be anything but an impulse buy for anyone. If you want one of these things wait till the 2nd week of January and get one in the Marketplace, Craig's List, or Ebay - then give it is deserved 15 minutes of playtime before you go back to your Harmony cart.

I saw an ad for the FB 3 in a Walgreen's circular. It mentioned a micro-SD slot. From what I gather this is not true. Can someone confirm this? When I read about the micro-SD I was interested but if you only have the 60 built-in games I don't think it's really that big a deal personally.

tjb