IGNORED

Atari Flashback 3

Well, the joysticks being detachable and compatible with other DB-9 plugs makes this AtGames best product yet. :D

Which isn't saying much, all that AtGames has done otherwise is make Genesis clones that have worse sound than the competition, and yet have the official license from SEGA. Much like this thing.

Edited by FireStar

Friday I got up (too) early and visited the two stores in my area that were selling the FB3 cheap (Walgreens & Dollar General). I almost bought the one at Dollar General, they had about 4 boxes and thankfully they had one opened and hooked up to a small TV for a demo. But I noticed the console didn't have the SD slot or mentioned it on the box, so I didn't buy it. The FB3's at Walgreens also didn't mention a SD slot on the box, so no buy. So I'm disappointed with this "bait & switch" by Atari. Did anyone buy one this weekend that did have the SD slot?

Edited by WildBillTX

I picked one up on Black Friday. Just got around to playing it last night. I am sad to report, that I have no sound... Not sure if I take i back if I can get another as I bought the last one at Toys R Us :-(

It doesn't mention anything about an SD card.

-GrizzLee

I picked one up on Black Friday. Just got around to playing it last night. I am sad to report, that I have no sound... Not sure if I take i back if I can get another as I bought the last one at Toys R Us :-(

It doesn't mention anything about an SD card.

-GrizzLee

UPDATE: I debated about taking the unit back.. knowing that I would probably not be able to get another for awhile. My solution.... I cut the audio connector off the A/V cable and attached a left/right RCA splitter on it. Works wonderful. I'm good to go now. Too bad they didn't emulate the stereo functionality of the VCS... not sure if any of the games included took advantage of this. For now though, I have sound coming out of both speakers. I played it briefly using my Wico stick. I haven't tried the packaged OEM controllers yet. A few games need paddles (Breakout, etc..) Not sure if paddle support is in there. I will try it tonight... hopefully I will have more time to play.

-GrizzLee

• 2 weeks later...

Their is not an SD slot, Walgreens got bad info since it was suppose to have an SD slot and it was took off at the last minute, has a cool box and the best Atari 2600 joystick that i have sceen in a long time, I have a friend w/ a Comadore 64 that is going to buy it when it goes back on sale just to get the joysticks, it uses the standard 9-pin, the game lineup is very bazar, their are paddle games, yet you would have to find old padlle since they don't come w/ the box, also checkers, chess and several Atari sports titles plus education games, I can't believe that they couldn't re-release the old version of Flicker-Man(Pac-Man), and why their are not more arcade classics, got the flashback 1 so I won't be getting it unless I see it at less than $20...Also if this is part 3 why couldn't we get a 5200/XE at least most of those games haven't seen a release in some time, Flashback1(7800), Flashback 2(2600), Flashback3 (a re-release of Flashback2)doesn't make since.

Edited by Pete5125

Are the joysticks that much better than the FB2's? Are they attached to the console, or unpluggable like the FB2?

joysticks are like the fb2 sorta. they have more throw.easier to move. 1000 times better than any other joystick atari has EVER made imo.

1K better? Check again in a few months, it might feel better *now* but how will it hold out? Interested in the long-haul report of it.

I checked the walgreens site and it says it is in stock but every store I check is out; the one closest to me had three but they sold in a day or two. Apparently there is a bigger demand for them than three per store.

• 2 weeks later...

This has come out of the blue, haven't been reading these boards for the best part of a year. I've got an FB2 but alas the joysticks both broke after only a few months of use, so I'm wondering if these will be better.

The extra games are eother ones I have original cartridges for or are ones that don't interest me in the slightest, so unless the joysticks are built to a higher standard than the ones in the FB2 or if I can find one in a store like Big Lots or Odd Job (are they still around?) in a few months, I think I'll be passing on this one.

I checked the walgreens site and it says it is in stock but every store I check is out; the one closest to me had three but they sold in a day or two. Apparently there is a bigger demand for them than three per store.

These appeared to be a popular item leading up to Xmas. Many were sold on eBay for prices above retail (especially Black Friday deals). I would guess nostalgia and a perceived value due to the number of games on the console drove the sales rather hard as many stores completely sold out of their stock.

These appeared to be a popular item leading up to Xmas. Many were sold on eBay for prices above retail (especially Black Friday deals). I would guess nostalgia and a perceived value due to the number of games on the console drove the sales rather hard as many stores completely sold out of their stock.

Agreed, plus it's a quick and easy way to get a game hooked up. Now I am hearing of peoples' FB3 joysticks breaking, and they haven't even been on sale all that long. For shame, AtGames!

Are the joysticks that much better than the FB2's? Are they attached to the console, or unpluggable like the FB2?

joysticks are like the fb2 sorta. they have more throw.easier to move. 1000 times better than any other joystick atari has EVER made imo.

Obviously you've never tried the original spring loaded heavy sixer sticks.

And Atari didn't make these, the entire thing was designed, manufactured, and sold by AtGames.

• Like 1