IGNORED

HSC Round 4.13: Turkey Tourney 1981

^^^ Thanks. :)

When i audited all games the ROM wasn't found (shared with parent)

What's the parent ROM for this one? :)

should be mspacman

The Ms Pac Man games i have were included in the same zipped folder i got from romnation for Mr TNT

Ms Pac Man Plus, Ms Pac Man Championship Edition.

I guess i have to go back to rom hustler for this one.

What skill level for Solar Fox?

Bosconian - 270,460

Colony 7 - 167,775

Bosconian is a great game. Challenging enough to give you the satisfaction of improving your score, forgiving enough not to be brutally frustrating. I know I've got a 300k in me, just gotta find it.

I love how when it says "condition red!" it sounds like Elmer Fudd saying "condition wed!".

Some things I've figured out:

- when the ships come after you in formations, there will be one colored differently than the others. If you kill it, the ships will scatter. This might save your ass, but it makes it harder to kill them all and get the bonus

- there's probably a tendency to want to shoot in the cardinal directions up/down/left/right; learn how to shoot on the diagonal, especially to take out the cannons on the bases when the opportunity arises.

- related to the above point, sometimes rather than focusing on a single base, if you have a clear shot at the cannons on other bases, take them out to lessen the number of bullets flying your way

- it's tempting to go for the bigger points by destroying the pods on the bases one by one, but after the first few levels you're probably just going to die going for the glory. Go for the decapitation strike up the missile bay.

- to avoid Elmer Fudd, you can fly through the screen and pop up on the other side which might get you to the last remaining bases quicker and improve your chances of survival

As for Colony 7, I like it too. It's easy initially to compare it to Missile Command, but I think any similarities are superficial at best. The different weapon types and the unlimited ammo from your "main" gun completely change the dynamic. The only tip I have is to resist the urge to go after the ships that fly across the top of the screen unless you're sure there are no red guys near your cannons. Remember, the guys at the top drop bombs that you can eliminate by shooting them.

post-27528-0-23419200-1321939368_thumb.jpg

post-27528-0-56789000-1321939374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cynicaster

Galaga - 553370

Recording attached for your viewing pleasure, the last ~100k is pretty much done on a single ship, so some awsome dodging moves had to be pulled out! (Ill say anything to get people to watch my gameplay)

Recorded using WolfMAME 0.106

post-30640-0-10770800-1321962128_thumb.png

Galaga-553370-Barra.zip

Now onto the other games

Damn! Nice score. I'll be extremely surprised if I'm able to crack 100k.

Here are the HSC stats for the first 12 rounds of the season:

Total Number of Games Played: 24

Total Number of Inaugural Plays: 17 70.83%

Total Number of Repeat Plays: 7 29.17%

Total Number of Tournament Games: 10 41.67%

Total Number of Games Played in Doubleheader Weeks: 6 25%

Total Games By Manufacturer

Data East 5 20.83%

Sega 3 12.5%

Universal 3 12.5%

Bally Midway 2 8.33%

Atari 1 4.17%

Atlus/Cave 1 4.17%

Capcom 1 4.17%

Exidy 1 4.17%

Konami 1 4.17%

Namco 1 4.17%

Nazca 1 4.17%

Rock-Ola 1 4.17%

SNK 1 4.17%

Stern 1 4.17%

Visco Games 1 4.17%

Total Games By Year

1980: 2 8.33%

1981: 4 16.67%

1982: 6 25%

1983: 3 12.5%

1984: 3 12.5%

1985: 1 4.17%

1996: 1 4.17%

1997: 1 4.17%

1998: 1 4.17%

1999: 1 4.17%

2000: 1 4.17%

By Decade

1970s: 0

1980s: 19 79.17%

1990s: 4 16.67%

2000s: 1 4.17%

Galaga - 553370

Recording attached for your viewing pleasure, the last ~100k is pretty much done on a single ship, so some awsome dodging moves had to be pulled out! :P (Ill say anything to get people to watch my gameplay)

Recorded using WolfMAME 0.106

post-30640-0-10770800-1321962128_thumb.png

Galaga-553370-Barra.zip

Now onto the other games :D

Wow. Nice effort. That was entertaining to watch!

Bosconian - 270,460

Colony 7 - 167,775

Bosconian is a great game. Challenging enough to give you the satisfaction of improving your score, forgiving enough not to be brutally frustrating. I know I've got a 300k in me, just gotta find it.

I love how when it says "condition red!" it sounds like Elmer Fudd saying "condition wed!".

Some things I've figured out:

- when the ships come after you in formations, there will be one colored differently than the others. If you kill it, the ships will scatter. This might save your ass, but it makes it harder to kill them all and get the bonus

- there's probably a tendency to want to shoot in the cardinal directions up/down/left/right; learn how to shoot on the diagonal, especially to take out the cannons on the bases when the opportunity arises.

- related to the above point, sometimes rather than focusing on a single base, if you have a clear shot at the cannons on other bases, take them out to lessen the number of bullets flying your way

- it's tempting to go for the bigger points by destroying the pods on the bases one by one, but after the first few levels you're probably just going to die going for the glory. Go for the decapitation strike up the missile bay.

- to avoid Elmer Fudd, you can fly through the screen and pop up on the other side which might get you to the last remaining bases quicker and improve your chances of survival

As for Colony 7, I like it too. It's easy initially to compare it to Missile Command, but I think any similarities are superficial at best. The different weapon types and the unlimited ammo from your "main" gun completely change the dynamic. The only tip I have is to resist the urge to go after the ships that fly across the top of the screen unless you're sure there are no red guys near your cannons. Remember, the guys at the top drop bombs that you can eliminate by shooting them.

Pretty informative tips for Bosco. I didn't realize shooting the odd colour ship makes the other 4 scatter.

Bosconian - 129320

Liking this game a lot! Cant wait to play it when I get an X-Arcade, the keyboard just doesnt do it.

Make sure you get the big X Arcade machine, with 2 joysticks and a trackball. It is worth the extra few dollars.

Does it not take up too much space?

Well Barra told me he was gonna put up a big Galaga score. Nice Work! And Cynicaster really set the bar for both Colony 7 and Bosconian.

I had a little extra time this morning with the kids being out of school and all.

Qix 39106

Solar Fox 47290

I started recording everything except Bosco since it's settings are different from TGI's. Gonna upload them at the end of the tourney, WR or not.

B

Well Barra told me he was gonna put up a big Galaga score. Nice Work! And Cynicaster really set the bar for both Colony 7 and Bosconian.

I had a little extra time this morning with the kids being out of school and all.

Qix 39106

Solar Fox 47290

I started recording everything except Bosco since it's settings are different from TGI's. Gonna upload them at the end of the tourney, WR or not.

B

I hope I didn't peak early.

I want to get to work on Qix but I don't want to break my hand punching things this early in the tourney. Maybe I'll bash things with my head instead when the game starts driving me batty.

Looks like you can play Solar Fox with 3 or 6 lives. Just to confirm, we're playing 3?

I haven't fired this game up myself - is there something missing?:

Dip Switches: Bonus: After 10 Racks; Lives: 3

It's like Gorf where you can start the game with one or two credits -> 3 or 6 men. I did my score with 3 men since you had "Lives : 3" make in the dip switches. I'm good either way though.

B

Bosconian

Just a few thousand behind my PR

It's all about endurance. The game is mainly low-scoring so try to get the formations (the pattern shows up in the info box next to the "Formation Attack" message). Try not to hit the single color enemy, but don't stress out if you do.

Gorf

Slowly getting better...that damn Galaxip doesnt move fast enough

Try not to move up when an enemy approaches closely. Gorf has extremely bad collision detection and anytime a number shows up when you kill an attacking enemy, it will kill you.

Ms. Pac-Man Turbo

Took a few ragequits but I got a good one!

Forgot there was a fourth configuration, screwed up big time on that

Although not really helpful, if you find yourself cornered (no way out), zoom towards one of the ghosts, preferably on the longer path. Rarely a "booey" (collision detection skips over) will happen and you will go right through it! As might as well try to get out than die horribly.

Solar Fox

I keep dying right at Level 10 :mad:

I remember one time I did 6 lives and went on for about 20 minutes...got over 110K

Not much I can say except once you get the hang of it, go for expert so your fingers aren't dead afterwards

I would say button-mash, but it's hard to explain...it's kinda like Defender and how it's vital to keep firing, but keep accuracy and timing of the shots in mind

Space Fury

If anyone gets past that fourth level...

Don't overdo the movement. This reminds me of Mine Storm on Vectrex, where the ship accelerates and moves so quickly it's not worth it to keep doing it.

post-28043-0-41227400-1322103659_thumb.png

post-28043-0-55511600-1322103843_thumb.png

post-28043-0-54588200-1322103885_thumb.png

post-28043-0-20894100-1322103944_thumb.png

post-28043-0-39631200-1322104664_thumb.png

Bosconian - 129320

Liking this game a lot! Cant wait to play it when I get an X-Arcade, the keyboard just doesnt do it.

Make sure you get the big X Arcade machine, with 2 joysticks and a trackball. It is worth the extra few dollars.

Does it not take up too much space?

Naw. It's 29"wide x 15" deep. Big, yes, but doable.

added 10k to my Solar Fox score and upped a few others.

Cosmic Avenger 9870

Galaga 114490

Solar Fox 58230

I finally past round 10 on Solar Fox and got an extra base/ship. I've been playing it like any maze game up to round 10. You know just running over the Fuzors and picking up points with the gun by shoot in incoming missiles. On round 10 you have to pass over Fuzors twice in order to collect them but if you shoot them you collect them automatically.

I can't decide which games to play most of the time. Cosmic Avenger really pisses me off most of the time but I want to break 5 digits on it. Usually if I make it to the water, that part is a cake walk but this time I died in it. The game is quit hard. I remember it from TGI.

I haven't even fired New Rally X and Space Fury up yet. I have only checked the settings in the game so when I finally get around to them I know everything is ready to rock. I've put all of the ROMs in one folder so that my MAME is only picking up the games in this tourney. That way I don't get sidetracked when I fire up the MAME. For me that is easy to do.

Well here comes Turkey Day! If I am lucky, I can squeeze in another game or two before dinner.

B