IGNORED

HSC Round 4.11: Wizard of Wor

Wizard of Wor

One or two players move around a variety of line-drawn mazes shooting the creatures that wander within. Eliminating all of the monsters will advance the players to the next level. Creatures called Worluks and the Wizard Of Wor himself will occasionally appear and these can be shot for bonus points.

Game Information

Game Name: Wizard of Wor

Released By: Bally Midway, 1981

MAME ROMset: WoW

Dip Switches: Lives: 7; Bonus Life: 3rd Level

Chosen By: rmaerz

ROM Location:

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: n/a

Note: This is the 7 lives variation - insert two credits for one player

Competition ends Sunday, November 13 @ 12PM EDT

Leaderboard

1.151,500 mightymage

2. 60,800 patbb

3. 50,100 M.A.M.E Offender

4. 50,000 Cynicaster

5. 36,600 roadrunner

6. 34,300 LarcenTyler

7. 27,000 JohnnyBlaze

8. 25,500 bigbee99

Season Standings

Calculations through round 10

1. bigbee99 180

2. patbb 153

3. Cynicaster 136

4. M.A.M.E Offender 133

5. mr. toast 97

6. richard stewart 63

7. kojr 39

7. keilbaca 39

9. roadrunner 37

10. LarcenTyler 26

11. JohnnyBlaze 11

12. mightymage 8

12. NE146 8

14. retrorussell 9

15. Barra 7

16. rmaerz 4

Edited by rmaerz

Lot of cheap deaths in this one.

TELL me about it. Especially when it gets faster and it seems that your gun only gets slower.....

Yep. Kind of maddening. And sometimes that stupid wizard just pops up randomly out of nowhere, 10 pixels behind you, and you're dead before you can even blink. Honestly, I'd love to know WTF you're supposed to do in that situation.

Kind of reminds me of Mouse Trap, with that stupid co*#ksucking, motherfu&*king bird just randomly materializing right in your path.

I enjoy the challenge of arcade games (obviously) but when I lose a life, I like to feel like I am directly responsible for it through making a wrong turn or having bad aim or whatever; things like this make it seem like the game is telling you "well, we need more of your quarters, so we'll just reach in here and scoop one of your lives for the hell of it". I suppose most all classic arcade games pull this kind of trick on you to some degree, but the ones that do it well actually make you feel like you had a chance but you blew it. Here, they might as well just have a screen that pops up and says "YOUR NUMBER OF LIVES HAS BEEN RANDOMLY DECREMENTED BY ONE, BECAUSE... WELL, JUST BECAUSE. OH NOES!!"

Edited by Cynicaster

Oh man, playing this game too much will make me want to quit playing video games!! I don't like this title too much. I can stomach it, that's about it. Kind of like eating brussel sprouts; you can choke them down when you have to!

Sorry Matt, but I'm not going to make it easy for you!! HEHEHE...

post-29539-0-28487600-1321112554_thumb.jpg

Ballin', baby!!

post-29539-0-03893300-1321112518_thumb.jpg

Edited by M.A.M.E Offender